SCATTER PATTERN:

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I have received a great number of PM concerning this EXPERIMENT and wish to to post the following:
I have contacted the State of Florida for permission to conduct this Experiment. I have also contacted the NOAA for any assistance they can provide.

I wish to make something perfectly clear.

This test will NOT be conducted in any LEASED area without the permisson of the lease holder.
No material will be placed in or near any KNOWN wreck.
The total amount of material (coins) will not exceed 10 pounds.***
The coins will be placed in a special container that will desolve within 14 days.
The coins may or maynot be made from lead but may be made from Brass or Bronze.
This will be based on what the State of Florida will allow.
The material will be placed at water depths of 15 feet, 8 feet and 3 feet.
Each location will be marked by an underwater block of material and a GPS reading will be taken.

*** If you will check with the Professional Treasure Salvors you will see that 10 pounds of material regardless of what the material may be is nothing compared to the trash they now recover.***

Each coin or blank will be stamped with a number for tracking the movement of the coins.
ALSO there will be included in this SURVEY a number of coins to be placed in or near the sand dunes and a GPS reading will be taken of each coin placed on dry land.
ALL locations will be checked every 4 months.

I know that there are a few on this forum that will respond with a NEGATIVE response. Be as it may I WILL COMPLETE THIS PROJECT with or with their blessing.

If you are interested in being a part of this EXPERIMENT send me a PM .

I know that is seems that I am pushing but I feel strongly about this project but as my Granpa use to say "SON, MAKE IT WHILE YOU ARE HOT CAUSE YOU ARE GONNA STAY COLD FOR A LONG TIME".

This my friends is going to be a TEAM effort and not a PEG LEGS thing.
Thanks
Peg leg
PS I will NOT respond to any NEGATIVE RESPONSE.

pollibr

Mar 11, 2006
Valrico Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
I think its a great idea. I would love to see how the wave action affects the movement of the coins....That would be a great wealth of information. Even if coins from the wreck sites are still burried under the sand in the water line, those coins will still be affected the same way as the test coins...great idea Peg.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Thanks pollibr,
This project will be conducted in a professional manner.
It will be conducted by AUDIA RESOURCES INC, LLC.
AUDIA RESOURCES INC.,LLC came into being when I was dealing in Sierra Leone West Africa.
As you know AU stands for GOLD and DIA stands for DIAMONDS.
I am the CEO of this LLC.

I know that this has nothing to do with Treasure Hunting but will give a better understanding about me and what I think about and what I do and why I do it.

I am also the CEO of another LLC by the name SUR-FOOT, LLC.
SUR-FOOT came into being when I had my right leg amputated.
I had serious problems in getting around and using the standard crutch.
I kept falling and wondered if others in this same condition were having the same problem and yes there were many so I invented a crutch attachment to help those that were disabled and needed the help of a crutch for mobility.
My son who is a DAV checked with the VA and found that there were thousands of Vets having the same problem.
I have donated over 3,000 pairs of this attachment to Disabled Veterans. They are NOT for sale but are given to anyone that needs help in getting around on crutches.
YES I do accept DONATIONS.
If anyone is interested is assembling thses units and giving them to those in your area send me a PM and we will talk.

My friends I am NOT a dumbme -a little excentric ::) :-\ but I do get things done.

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE
Peg leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I knew that I would get a response from you two and you did not disappoint me.
Let me say this.
In order to estiblish a PATTERN you must start somewhere. Without a FIRST move you cannot estiblish a damn thing. This is to ESTIBLISH a possible pattern.
I never said that thias was the only TEST to be done did I?

As far as me being a CEO I was letting YOU GUYS know that I have made decissions before.
SWR you may be the best in the world at metal detecting on the East Coast but this has nothing to do with this EXPERIMENT.
I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT NEITHER ONE OF YOU GUYS HAVE THE SLIGHTEST IDEA OF WHAT I AM WORKING ON BUT I WILL SAY THAT BOTH YOU GUYS ARE MASTERS IN YOUR OWN RIGHT BUT ON THIS PROJECT YOU ARE JUST BEGINNERS AND DO NOT KNOW A THING. IN FACT NO ONE HAS ANY IDEA WHAT THE RESULTS WILL BE.
Enjoy yourselves.
Peg leg

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before checking the results, I'd wait for six or seven hurricanes to pass over the test area. ;)

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Jeff,
I did not say that this TEST consist of only one part. Since there are 4 seasons and the ocean changes during each season this project may consist of 4 sections or 4 different time periods.
I wish that I had the coins in the water right now but there will be other storms and many storms to follow.
Peg leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
SWR said:
What happened to the other thread about this topic? There were several posts with pertinent information regarding this subject matter. Including a lengthily post by myself, with my experiences metal detecting on the East Coast :-\
YES I deleted the topic.
SWR I could care less what you or CORNY think ONE WAY or the other but I did put your comments on a DISC.
I have a pretty good size file but it consist of mostly NEGATIVE statements just like the last one you made.
One thing I will add and that is if you were an employee of mine with your attitude you ass would be looking for a job and some diet coke.
Did I answer you last question?
Peg leg

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Each coin or blank will be stamped with a number for tracking the movement of the coins.
ALSO there will be included in this SURVEY a number of coins to be placed in or near the sand dunes and a GPS reading will be taken of each coin placed on dry land.

Question(s): Will the #'d 'coins' be returned to the places they were located (and information recorded) in order to track their further movement? Or will they be removed as they are found?

Just curious....

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Zephyr said:

Question(s): Will the #'d 'coins' be returned to the places they were located (and information recorded) in order to track their further movement? Or will they be removed as they are found?

Just curious....
No the coins will not be removed but will be put back where the were found.
Peg Leg

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Edit By Forum Moderator

Forum Violation Noted

Baiting and Argumentative

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
When I started this thread I used the words SCATTER PATTERN because I could not think of anything else to call it.
It has nothing to do with a SCATTER PATTERN.
What we are actually doing is seeing if any coins dumped into the ocean will come ashore and the coins ashore will end up in the ocean and that is all there is to it.
Peg leg

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I will answer the question.

This is not about ANY Pattern! You seem to want to play off these words because of the Topic Name!

I posted the relavent questions that were to be answered before but you chose to ignore them and focus on PegLeg.

How much will coins move in different environments. I proposed to Peg that the coins be placed in three different areas. A set of coins in approx 15-18' of water. If you are on the ball, you will know why this depth.

A set of coins in the breaker zone just off the beach in say 4-5' of water.

Then some randoly placed coins on the beach between the high water and low water mark. These coins should be precisely marked and monitored on a closer basis, but not disturbed if possible.

The coins in the water should be photographed if possible and tracked on each outing.

Ultimately, the questiosn to be answered are:

Do coins wash in from the deeper 5' water wash up on the beach or do they stay relatively in place and sink deeper into the sand?

Do coins on the beach move out to deeper water or just sink deeper into the sand?

Do coins in the deeper 15-18' depths move or continue to sink?

Yes the Sea is unpredictable, but there are some scientific priciples at work that are very predictable!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I see a lot of mitigating factors here. The sand, which was used for beach replenishment may not be the same consistency or grade of the original sand in the area. The sub surface and differing depths of sand could also affect the movement of the coins, I would suspect. Coral ledges, rocks, and so forth can have an impact as well. Too many variables, it would appear.

Not being a scientist, I’m just guessing here, but to get a ‘baseline of transition’ shouldn’t this be conducted in a more controlled environment? A closed circuit wave tank perhaps? The control conditions can be monitored for differing environmental conditions thereby producing a more accurate analysis of the projected movements; which could possibly then be extrapolated into usable data.

An ‘open ocean’ environment can produce usable results, but I would suspect the data would need to be collected over years and years. This is assuming the ‘control’ coins receive absolutely no human or mechanical interference, intentional or not. How would that be monitored to ensure the data is not corrupted over the course of years?

Interesting to think about tho…

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Thanks for the input. I have to agree on the beach sand issue and certainly think the wave tank on a small scale would yield more scientific results. I have an educated guess, but would like to see some proof.

It would have to be conducted in an area away from crowded beaches. I had suggested the use of some of the beaches up above the cape that are off limits to detectorist and few people go to.

Mainly, I would just like to know if the coins we find on the beach are washing in from deeper waters or moving out of the dunes from deeper layers of sand that are uncovered after storms.

And of course it could be both.

Thanks for adding some positive thoughts on how it could be conducted.

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a excellent idea. Lots of people have theories about which way the coins move, but nobody really knows. I think Kip Wagner tried to figure this out forty years ago by digging trenches in the beach with a backhoe. At least we could get an idea about whether they sink or move. If you ignore those who only have bad things to say, you can make progress. You know you are on to something when most people disagree with you, it is when they all agree with you that you should start to worry.
Seahunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"You know you are on to something when most people disagree with you, it is when they all agree with you that you should start to worry."
Seahunter
;D ;D Look for gathering of shells and rocks. They seem to accumulate in certain places. Its a matter of thixotropics. :D

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
bigcypresshunter said:
Its a matter of thixotropics. :D

Are you sure you are using that term properly? Honestly, I had to look it up. But what I assume you mean is the stratification of the sand and shell layers and how the coins are typically found in this level.

thix·o·trop·ic [ thìksə tróppik, thìksə trṓpik ]

Definition: sometimes fluid and sometimes gel: becoming fluid when shaken or stirred and returning to a gel state when allowed to stand

But, where did the coins come from????????? Did they wash in or are they washing out?

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
only God knows for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
bucketofguts said:
only God knows for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! :D :D I would have to agree right now! But there are a few here who think they ARE God!

Its a very interesting topic to discuss. I don't know if anything will ever come of it, and maybe the same questions will be asked again 10 or 20 years from now and we will still not have any answers.

Its like I said before, I don't know how many times I have been detecting on the beach and threw a coin down in the sand just to watch the waves move over it and see where it goes.

Anywho! I am sure if anything ever happens with this test, you guys will be the first to know.

PegLeg, keep us updated on your progress!

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Glad to see that we are up and running again. I like the idea about monitoring it for several years through storms and hurricanes. That will really tell the tale as to what goes where,
however I fear that a good storm or hurricane might obliterate all traces of it and maybe not resurface in our lifetime. Still we must try it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions