ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slavor... I am not writing a "paragraph" or a "book"...

I am "talking"... VIA a forum thread.

At least I respond... EVEN IF in multiple posts.

Something you should try. heh

PS... I wonder WHY is it you made a "point" of this ?

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC you did not catch the connection between the ships I was referring to and the Padre Islands wrecks of 1554 and Corpus Christi?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw what you were talking about... but failed to see the correlation... will re-read.

Are you in Texas ?

I remember Corpus Christi... Water was great... And the What-a-Burger Coffee at the dock was great as well... AND only 5 cents with the mug ! :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born in Corpus and docked there now.

IS the What a burger still there ?... they went out years ago here... THEN came back with a vengeance putting locations all over... THEN went out again... not a one around.

Was in Corpus in early 90's couple of times... just briefly though... used to live in Laredo briefly as well... WAY before that.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I would like from someone in this thread is some connection to someone in Spain, Portugal, Italy or other possible foundry countries [those being my present top choices of country of origin] so that I might get some real information [not that I don't like your guide dog or his detractors] On that front, I am researching in the dark as many of the foundries focused not on ship's bells, but church bells.

Skream...Since you have been reading the posts, why not simply provide information requested?

1. I have not seen anything from you on the dimensions of the bell.

2. Pictures, pictures, pictures. Other than the first picture provide by S6, why not more? You can see the amount of information provided by that, why not images of all of the sides?

3. Conservation. I am hoping it is in fresh water, it will need to be for a while, and replaced often. There is NO harm in removing the loose ones. This will not remove anything now, that wont be removed later, and wont make a difference on any scan. There are many, many chemicals that can remove calcium deposits, and not affect any metal. (a professional restoration expert has already commented on this, and you can see his exemplary work). At this point, it should probably be in electrolysis.

4. Have a job or not, you are asking for help in the id. More than about time for more information and more pictures.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I would like from someone in this thread is some connection to someone in Spain, Portugal, Italy or other possible foundry countries [those being my present top choices of country of origin] so that I might get some real information [not that I don't like your guide dog or his detractors] On that front, I am researching in the dark as many of the foundries focused not on ship's bells, but church bells.

Skream...Since you have been reading the posts, why not simply provide information requested?

1. I have not seen anything from you on the dimensions of the bell. (as reported on this forum, is the bell 8 inches diameter?)

2. Pictures, pictures, pictures. Other than the first picture provide by S6, why not more? You can see the amount of information provided by that, why not images of all of the sides? You can see the amount of information (and speculation) provided by one image, why wont you provide more?

3. Conservation. I am hoping it is in fresh water, it will need to be for a while, and replaced often. There is NO harm in removing the loose ones. This will not remove anything now, that wont be removed later, and wont make a difference on any scan. There are many, many chemicals that can remove calcium deposits, and not affect any metal. (a professional restoration expert has already commented on this, and you can see his exemplary work). At this point, it should probably be in electrolysis. Again, I cannot understand your resistance to conservation methods (that will have to be done anyways).

4. Have a job or not, it has been an extended time since the original posts, and you are asking for help in the id. More than about time for more information and more pictures.

"If these people were claiming that this bell had hung around the neck of the Loch Ness monster it would be about as credible," says Portuguese archaeologist Felipe Castro, now at Texas A&M University."

For my 2 cents worth...look for a Dutch origin. (pattern look familiar?)

ny_voc3_large.jpg 17.1-20141112163238_540x360.jpg
PMuy2Ac.jpg amsterdam-coat-arms-holland-netherlands-450w-629568839.jpg
77430082-netherlands-coat-of-arms-amsterdam-holland-netherlands-on-building-facing-the-canal-als.jpg

Last edited:

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the input. There is definitely an A and not a 4 followed by the two horizontal lines with a circle above, without question. And, the letters are R and spaces followed by an L.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dutch West Indies Company. The new world was grass skirts and Beavers in 1600's!

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon now, you cant post a picture like that without explanation.

Very similar to a French Cannon, but that design is very close to the bell motif. Also looks like a Dutch cannon...but not exact.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
seems clear enough, similar border motif on a bronze cannon
the execution would appear to be a bit finer, but the subject bell is much smaller

Huey

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clear enough, but no ID! :BangHead:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a decorative band done in an acanthus leaf motif. That was a decorative motif or style. No connotations to any thing else. I'm saying it relates to the baroque era of style. Palmettes, ancathus leaf, flur de lis, florets etc. Were all common to this time frame. They are declarative flourishes common to the 16-1700s otherwise known as the baroque era.
Dosent sound to far off now does it ?? I tried to point that out on page 7. Now who's smoking what in what pipe.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know if they have any meaning or not....but the acanthus leaf pattern that I posted was the closest match I could find. Perhaps there is great meaning to them....I hope so. I have also seen a similar pattern before and cant place it. I think it was here on t net. I've been searching for it with no luck.
And of coarse they have meaning......at least a half dozen dating back to Greece. I'm just not sure how it relates to the bell. Decorative, or is there more to picking this motif to read into. Thank you Smith brown for finding a very similar motif and in bronze !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres your foundry to check into skream1.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread