China to test manned deep-sea submersible: 23,000 feet

Satori

Aug 1, 2007
Anywhere there's treasure
BEIJING (Reuters) - China is to test a manned submersible that can reach up to 7,000 meters (23,000 feet) below sea level, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Friday, citing the State Oceanic Administration.

Research on the submersible will be given "equal importance with China's space endeavors", the report said. China put a man in space in 2003, part of an ambitious space program that includes its first lunar probe launched last year.

Selection for the crew of the submersible began in August 2006, and China will finish building the first phase of its "deep-sea base project" by 2010.

A submersible is like a submarine, but they typically have a shorter range and rely on another vessel or facility for support.

The project would be equipped for deep-sea natural resource inspections as well as research and testing of equipment designed for deep-sea use, Xinhua said.

The report did not mention military uses for the submersible.

(Reporting by Lindsay Beck; Editing by Sanjeev Miglani)

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made in China.lol

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I heard they painted the inside with lead paint and used asbestos insulation

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
And they are equipping it with a Cobra Viper as the main sensor.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen: Remember not ALL Chinese products are err, substandard. Their military gear is tops

I remember the jokes about Japan prior to WW-2, only to have our faces rubbed in defeat for a while.

Their ships, which were a standard joke among the columnists as being top heavy and prone to capsizing, turned out to be equal to ours. As for the Zero, I really don't have to go into that uncomfortable surprise.

The medical profession gurus proved to us that the Japanese pilots had very poor or non existant depth perception compared to ours, because of their eyes, sheesh.

No gentlemen, just because a product comes from Japan or China, or the Orient, do not automatically relegate it to the toy and junk department. They build to the market requirements, whether Military or economy minded Americans at Wal mart.

I preferr to wait and see the results before judging, I am also curious, what is the ultimate purpose?. The new Odyssey competition.?

Don Jose De La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread