Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What area of the Pacific are you looking in? What datum, specifically, are you seeking? Current speed? Depths? Magnetic Deviation? etc.?
No doubt the Library of Congress, Map Department has all the answers if the pros here are unable to assist.
Don....

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're likely NAD 27 instead of the current NAD83 & WGS84. There should be free converters on line, just about any good GPS can do it. I'm only assuming that might be what your refering to???

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back during WWII, they did not use GPS and no datums were in existence. That date was strictly off plotting charts. However, today the military and the Coast Guard use the WGS84 map datum.

Tom

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm familiar with GPS history and usage, and didn't remotely mean to infer that it was around back then.

Map datums were and have been around for a long time. A datum is a simple set of ground rules that define what's where, and what is measured from what what.

A set of coordinates derived fifty years ago entered into today's modern GPS is not going to take you to that exact spot without converting one datum to another, you'll be very close as in 10's of meters but off nonetheless.

Try Google.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies ScubaDude, you are absolutely correct concerning the long time use of Map Datums.

Tom

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
May I interject my findings.

I have a book which does not mention the word datum anywhere.
However it does mention "Reference Planes" and for the Atlantic Coast,
Argentina, Sweden and Norway the "Reference Plane" is "Mean Low Water".

Oh any by the way the book is called "H.O.No.9 American Practical
Navigator" by Bowditch the year 1943. I have the hard cover edition
and the price was $3.75.

This book also mentions Reference Planes of Mean lower low water, Mean
low water springs, Lowest low water springs, Low water Indian spring, and
and Lowest low water for areas covering the Pacific Coast, Great Britain,
Germany, Denmark, Italy, Brazil, Chile, Portugal India, Japan, France, Spain,
and Greece.

Hope this helps as it is the only Bowditch I have.

Dinkydick

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Datums have been used for many years. If you use a chart of the Bahamas, a regular modern chart, it says datum from 1850 geo survey. But of course there has been updating to adjust the positions for magnetic drift as all datums do. They were using datum adjustments way before 1850, as some charts in other areas will show. The modern datums on most topo maps list the datum, and they update, kind of like you wouldnt use an old marine chart or a topo map and use the compass rose without calculating the correct datum as the position would have moved. You could hike with the old charts, and you could navigate, but precise GPS would be out of the question using the old maps. You must calulate the magnetic drift, which moves annually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread