Minelab Explorer XS

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I had a Fisher Impulse and liked the unit-found lots of artifacts with it. However, Fisher doesn't make that detector anymore and it may be difficult to get parts and service on it.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
That's a very good point T. Getting a new Excalibur is going to be a hard sell on the wife but I suppose it's better in the long run. ;D

Pcola

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Pcola, check kellyco used and demo machines. They have 2 i found,not sure about the fisher,but i know the minelab is pretty good....Fisher for 549.00 minelab 749.00 these are the 2 i saw listed

Attachments

• 1280x-combo.jpg
    1280x-combo.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,846
  • excalibur1000_1.gif
    excalibur1000_1.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,809

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
I have used the Fisher Impulse while diving the 1715 fleet before.... I would compare it to an Aqua Pulse only not quite as deep. I like the unit.. The batteries are easy to change and run forever on a single set of AA. The unit is no motion which i like when diving and is very durable. If I was looking for a beach machine i would go for MineLab but for diving i would Use the Fisher in the 8" coil i do not like the 10" coil when diving because you cant get the big loop in tight places underwater.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pc,

The Fisher Impulse is a very good detector (underwater), built like a tank....and easy to use. Solid performer.
I do prefer the Minelabs handsdown for beach use....
The Impulse does do a decent job on land, but you need to be working in a "clean" area, as it gets very squirlie and noisy, but you can tune it down to get somewhat tolerable but you will lose much depth.
It works best submerged....makes a great mini mag. !!!!

Trez

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
bought one off the internet.1st time i used it ,we were in near zero viz and happened to notice that the only thing i could see was the BRIGHT SHINY STAINLESS STEEL arm band. needless to say; i painted the armband black before going back out in bad viz conditions.stay on top off the gasket, the terminals and the silicone seal and you should be ok

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks for the great replies. I'm basically in a pickle because my Minelab Explorer XS may have a fried circuit board and really hate to put too much money into repairing it even though it's a great detector. If I sink money into a 'new' detector it would be nice to have a good performer on land as well as underwater. From what I'm hearing, the Impulse is a great performer underwater but not so great on land.

Can anyone chime in on their dry-land experience with the Minelab Excalibur ?

Thanks again,

Pcola

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
The impulse is a good detector. Built very solid but it's heavy for land detecting. I used one for years though. My arm looked like Popeyes. I nick named it the squealing bastard, due to the annoying tone Fisher used on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread