Odyssey news article

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
No matter how many legitimate claims are made, Odyssey will be awarded the majority of the loot, Gordon said. Under international law, awards of undersea finds are measured under a concept that benefits the finder, Gordon said.

"The people who lost the property aren't going to get a high score," he said. "I don't think they're going to be able to demonstrate that they've made a lot of effort and gone to great expense and risk to look for it."

No excrement Sherlock. ::)  Same old story, no claimants want to know or to invest, until it's found, then everyone wants a piece of it.  Spain, Peru, distant relatives of merchants, sheesh.

And as always, never a shortage of lawyers getting involved :evil5:

Let's hope Odyssey prevails :icon_sunny:

Jay

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat:Hi Saturna, we will all find out in december, time to rule on the case.
I hope odyssey don't get the loot, to many lies :icon_pirat:they don't care that the have riped up a grave site.
Odyssey don't known what ship it is ??? yea right ! black swan good name for pirates
Sam

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i think the treasure should go to whomever put the money and time in to find it. if it belonged to someone else then why didnt they look for it. its not like it sunk yesterday.they knew it was down there somewhere...yet they chose to do nothing but wait until someone else spent the time and money to find it and then they want to claim it...and of course that means more money for the lawyers

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps I am wrong, but this "grave site " thought on wrecks goes a bit too far. I doubt that a single sq meter of Europe isn't one, yet we continue to build homes, factories, roads, mine, and plant crops on them. Do we just stop and remove all ? Why are ship wrecks so special? The salvage of a valuable cargo benefits many while just sitting there reverting bk to nature does nothing for anyone.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Real de Tayopa said:
Perhaps I am wrong, but this "grave site " thought on wrecks goes a bit too far.
Don Jose de La Mancha

I agree. Ancient land burial sites are routinely excavated whether it's Celtic, Egyptian, Mayan, or even much later as in Plague (1600's) burial sites as I saw on one of the Knowledge Network shows the other week. Bones are often even removed from sites and put in boxes in museum storerooms.

If the history is more recent, it seems to change the way people think, although I don't know what the exact time frame is before it's "OK" to dig the site. 100 - 200 years seems to be the time.

These 300-400 year old ships have no human remains whatsoever left today, and I don't believe they should receive the 'sacred grave' consideration applied by some.

Jay

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are right saturna. Another myth is that the Titanic is a grave site. Did you see the movie? Not one single body went down with the ship. They were all standing on the decks with life preservers on when Titanic sank. The bodies all floated away. Maybe we should designate the entire North Atlantic a grave site.
What do we do when there is a fatal car wreck on the interstate? Do we build a memorial and make it off limits? No, they haul the bodies and wreckage away and resume driving over it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread