Trommel Build

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
A while back I had an idea about building a 3' long trommel with 4 to 5 tubes inside each other. This was meant to be a compact classification system, light weight made of aluminum. The center tube was 10in diameter and 3' long and had 1/2" holes in it. The next tube was 14" in diameter and had 3/8 holes in it. The next 2 or 3 tubes followed the same idea with the holes getting smaller. I was going to take material out of each tube and run it through a sluice box. I believed in classification was the key to good recovery percentages. I thought each sluice box could be tailored for a certain size of material. A grizzly at the start of the 9" tube would filter out anything larger than 1".

My trommel idea is not going well. I have some friends in the design department at the college. We built a computer model of what my plan was. Plan was to run the rocks down the tube and anything smaller than 1/2 inch fall through to the next tubes and so on. Rocks 1 inch to 1/2 inch plus went on out the center tube. This was all straight forward like trommel designs I saw on the web.

Problem: When the rocks smaller than 1/2 in fell through, most of them were over half way down the center tube. This only gave about half the second tube to sort for the next one. By the third tube almost all the material was exiting with out any further sort. I lost most of the 3 foot distance I wanted the material to travel for a good sort. I varied the speed of rotation and tilt angle with no success. Capacity was not a goal, but I wanted a complete sort (classification). We kicked around a lot of ideas on how to make sure each tube sorted the material for the entire 3 foot. I (we) started looking at a reverse helix that I saw on the web. If we used the helix in every other tube, we could bring the material back up and over the entire tube length. I still like the idea of a compact classification system and not stretching the tubes end over end for 20 feet. This is the current direction that holds the most promise at this time.

Another problem I have is I have no first hand experience at classifying rock. I need to see the terrain really get out and visit with people prospecting, mainly get my hands dirty. All the books and computer models don’t replace that.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions they are welcome. This summer I plan some road trips to some claims and get some first hand experience. At the end of the summer I plan to sort through all the ideas and models and maybe get a working prototype.

If this idea ever works, the idea is freely available to anyone who wants to build one. All the research is public.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwells
What were you using for screen, and did you have anything in the tubes to help flip the material in the tube?

Attachments

• IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 5,015

jaguargene

Feb 8, 2011
Hi I get my 12 X 36 inch,1/2 inch screen, 3 foot trommel barrel last week.I had the same ideal,but with a 1/2 then a 1/4 inch barrel.I was going to off set the second hopper under the fist trommel bucket chute.When I measure it in height it was around 4 to 4 1/2 foot high.Thats hard to shovel.Having 1/2 inch screen is because I don't want to miss a half inch nugget.Now I have to classify to 1/4 inch right or can I run half inch rock down a sluice?

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Jog
Thanks for the comment. We put 2 of these "diverters" in the model. I consider them necessary or the material can sit in there and just slide as the barrel turns.

Rick

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
My understanding is the sluice riffles and design is set for the size of material your running. Guess you could run 2" rocks through if the water flow and riffle height was right. Your way ahead of me however, I still need to get my feet wet this summer. Sounds like you have a nice machine. Does your machine sit 4 feet above the ground. I was making the frame as low as I could to keep it down.

Rick

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Sorry forgot to answer about the screen. Using aluminum 1/8 thick, expanded metal design. More like diamond shapes. The round puch plate type stuff was too expensive.

Rick

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rick & Jag,

To answer you clasifying question Jag, You can sluice 1/2 " rock in most sluices. I have a Keene A52 and have run 1/2 " through it many times. I usually run 1/4" though as the gold here is pretty small. Larger rocks can bounce the small gold right out of the sluice. Rick, I'm finally going to get to run some material through my new drywasher. Had beautiful weather and the snow in gone, except in the mountains. My partner says there is still about a foot up there yet but going fast.
Good luck with your tommels guys.

B H Prospector

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwells said:
My understanding is the sluice riffles and design is set for the size of material your running. Guess you could run 2" rocks through if the water flow and riffle height was right. Your way ahead of me however, I still need to get my feet wet this summer. Sounds like you have a nice machine. Does your machine sit 4 feet above the ground. I was making the frame as low as I could to keep it down.

Rick

Not sure if this was meant for me or not but the trommel I built is just under 40" from the top of the hopper down to the ground.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwells
Do you have any pics of the prototype screen that you built?

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jaguargene said:
Hi Rwells where did you get the spocket for a 12 inch barrel,I'm having problems finding one

jaguargene
Hope rwells doesn't mind me awnsering your question. I found a sprocket at www.surpluscenter.com for my 12" trommel build.
The part # is 1-1980-72 that is a 50 pitch sprocket and the outside diameter is 14.69". I had to cut the center out to the size I needed.

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, Jog, I really like the Burden Surplus Center but always shop around, sometimes their prices can be higher, mostly their not. :thumbsup:

jaguargene, you can get the part # of the sprocket you need off the G&G Manufaturing site and then order from any industrial supply, shop around for the best price.
They do make larger if your in need of one upto 112 Tooth #50.

http://www.ggmfg.com/products.aspx

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
That wasn't me with the sprocket. I plan to use a belt around the trommel. In a pipe dream I thought about building a water motor to power the unit. Maybe use the spray water to power the unit and then rinse the gravel.

Rick

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Jog
No pics yet. My 1/2" screen is still getting rolled. A lot of my info comes from the computer model. Still practicing the TIG welding for aluminum. By the way I'd be happy to weld anything you guys need. Only problem is getting it to me and back. Welding is free. Information is priceless. I'll get some pics up soon. Only have the center tube, not the frame done.

Rick

Just added pics 6-1-11

Attachments

• All 4 tubes togather sm.jpg
    All 4 tubes togather sm.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 6,929
  • complete frame (280x210).jpg
    complete frame (280x210).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 6,447
  • All 4 tubes togather sm.jpg
    All 4 tubes togather sm.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,640
  • complete frame (280x210).jpg
    complete frame (280x210).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 6,145

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest way to do what you want, is to run 1/2 inch mesh in the trommel then run everything over a 1/4 inch punched plate for second classification. Keene used to make a double deck box for a dredge using a similar system, keeping the larger stones out makes for better fine gold recovery.
Make everything adjustable for angle so that the hopper, trommel and box or boxes angles can be altered to suit the mix you are putting through. Some gravels will have more or less clay, more fine material (sand) or bigger stones than another spot. Nuggy

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Today I finished the feed hopper for my trommel. It came out 31" X 24" and is 24" high off the ground. Goal was to make it as low to the ground as I could. All the material is aluminum. The hopper lifts off its mounts to make it removable. Another goal was to make this as light as possible and only take one person to unload and put it togather. Picture shows some brackets that slide into the ends of the frame to support the hopper. That should do it on this end and I plan to start on the front Monday. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Rick
6/2/11

Attachments

• DSCN1753 (320x240).jpg
    DSCN1753 (320x240).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 5,268
  • DSCN1753 (320x240).jpg
    DSCN1753 (320x240).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 4,120
  • feed hopper 2 (320x240).jpg
    feed hopper 2 (320x240).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 7,292

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwells
Just found your pics, I was looking under the general discussion.
I do have to say that is "very" nice work, I am curious to see how you separate the screens on the outlet end. Looks like that unit is well thought out. Can't wait to see it completed.
Keep up the GREAT work...

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks good so far and, yes, will be interesting to see how you set-up the recovery for all the classified into three seperate sluices on the tail end and how you drop the oversize from the first screen.
Very unique trommel, have seen none like it, I have seen larger trommels with multi screen sizes as the material works its way down the single barrel and sluices coming off each underneath.
I will be looking back in the fall to hopefully see some picture of it completed.

Reminds me, I need to get myself a spool gun for my Lincoln Mig so I can get into some aluminum welding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread