Wooden sluice

James/Ouida

Jan 23, 2012
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was to make a sluice outta wood, should I polyurethane the wood, or leave it plain? I know you can make it outta wood, but I was thinking sealing it might keep it from being waterlogged after a time. I'm also getting together material for a metal one, using scrap aluminum to keep the cost down. When I make the riffles, what gage should the metal be? Would Z or G style flashing be to light, or would I just classify to smaller to make it work?

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
i followed Astro's!! drop riffle sluice plan on that link and have no trouble catch all my #8 birdshot i use to test it, plan on builsing a new one to use in a gold creek this summer there is no gold here in my part of Tennessee. Terry

OP
OP
J

James/Ouida

Jan 23, 2012
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be building one myself - I'm sure most things astro builds with his experience works!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Armchair prospector said:
It will also get real heavy.
That was my thought's also... A wood sluice has to be heavy..... And i don't need that.. For me the lighter the better..

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lined my wooden boxes with aluminum flashing.
To avoid holes under the water line, I just bend it to fit, and then take two strips of wood, and screw the top of the sides of the flashing to the sides of the box. Sandwich the aluminum between the strip and the side of the box. These strips, when placed right, can be used to hold your riffles down, with some wooden wedges.
Expanded metal works great for riffles, but wood works too. Good luck.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just made another one today. As Astrobouncer stated gold doesn't make it past the first riffle. I just glue the sides to the bottom, shoot it with some gun nails and spray it with high gloss Krylon black. Cheap, easy and effective.

(ok- tried to post a pic but no luck today)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread