taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm getting bummed

So I've been sluicing, panning, sniping for a few months now and I know the creek I've been working in is gold bearing but I'm not getting any luck, I've done research, I've boughten books, watched videos on YouTube of the same creek and still nothing. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm digging behind rocks/shrubs, following the inside curves of the creek, sniped in multiple crevices. What the heck? :(

Goldmember999

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2013
Rincon Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 5000/D GEB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe all the gold is gone already. Or maybe your not digging deep enough. Try the upper benches.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying its not as easy as tom massie makes it look on tv

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well the creek I've been working is pretty shallow and I dig as deep as I can and still nothing. I've been there probably 15 times in different locations. In the fast current, slow current, big eddies, and not one flake. And I know that the creek I work was well worked with the bucket dredges but I've seen videos taken in the past year with good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement dusty, much appreciated bud...

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was easy we'd all be rich.:laughing7:

Try looking at your area in a different way. If there has been a lot of recreational mining there, try to go the extra mile and get away from the areas that have been hammered.

Good Luck.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Where are you my man? I have found that getting off the beaten track works well but if i was getting skunked that bad move spots immediately. Gold is where people gave found it. Very few undiscovered streams exist anymore. Go to a proven gold bearing stream and try digging where many others have dug. If alot of people are digging there is probably gold. Start at the beginning where we all started before looking for the big pay. The awesome news is that once you find your first gold you will be hooked forever. If your in the northeast let me know! Good luck and keep at it! Grizz

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe ill try moving further upstream. I've checked out a lot of it but it seams like the more up stream I move is just super sandy.

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i first started prospecting I didnt find anything either. What made the difference for me was classifying the gravel before I panned it. Classify down to at least -8, I usually classify even smaller. Also the colors (gold) is probably alot smaller than what your thinking. Sometimes i have to use a magnifying glass to see it. Dont ever give up. Join a club if you have to.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a keen a52, and I classify it down to 20 mesh and run it slowly through. Then when I snipe just a regular snuffer and a pocket knife.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't plan on giving up, I bought a 3" dredge hoping to go up to Oregon this summer if the bills don't pass. I'm already hooked with all the books and research I've done even though I haven't found anything, it's just fun getting out of the house and doing something physical for once lol

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tatenut, try this. Set camp and work one way up stream. Sample with your pan and then keep moving. Do this for about a half a day. If no gold. Break camp and move next day doing same process till you find gold. Good Luck.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I sample should I dig super deep or just a few shovel fulls down?? And should I stick to digging in the eddies and around the inside of the curves? Or just try all over??

Terrible - One

Feb 16, 2013
Corvallis
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you found any gold with your sluice yet? If you haven't found any yet, you may not have the setup/water working together properly. I've found gold in places that are said to not be gold bearing with my A52. What part of the world do you live in?
I live in western oregon. I started mining this year. Bought an A52 a few months ago. I've heavily modified it since. It works good stock, but works better for me with the changes I've made.

Terrible - One

Feb 16, 2013
Corvallis
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You always want to find color in your pan before bothering to setup the sluice. If I find 4+ colors in a single prospect pan, then I'll contemplate setting the sluice up.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in Northern California/redding area. I was thinking about building a stand for it, so I don't have to play around to get it level in the stream. I haven't found any at all but I know people who have in the same creek. I'm also thinking about replacing the carpet with moss and putting v-matting under the moss. I don't know what other modifications I could do with it

Terrible - One

Feb 16, 2013
Corvallis
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Legs are very important. Miners moss with v matting under is very helpful, but not essential. I added an extended stratification slick plate to mine, separates materials by weight before it hits the upper matting.

2013-04-19_20-58-59_775_zps86bd8fc4.jpg

2013-04-19_21-03-52_743_zpsf98b48a6.jpg

Terrible - One

Feb 16, 2013
Corvallis
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But it's far more important to find the gold with a pan first. The sluice just helps you process material faster than a pan.

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the point of the blue wall??? That's what i wanted to do with the v-matting though and I have some extra

Terrible - One

Feb 16, 2013
Corvallis
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The blue things are just translucent plastic plates that connect the leg brackets. They make the sluice very stable and rigid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread