New sluice

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of drafting one up right now. What kind and aprox. size are you looking for? The one I'm making is going to have sections that slide into one another for transporting and will be easily convertible from a stream sluice to a high banker.

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly stream and river use I'd like to have one easily carried in my pack

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of drafting one up right now. What kind and aprox. size are you looking for? The one I'm making is going to have sections that slide into one another for transporting and will be easily convertible from a stream sluice to a high banker.

Can you send some blueprints

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to be at the shop breaking aluminum tomorrow and will post some pics of it with the draft specs when I have it finished up.

pmgsourdough

Feb 13, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is just my opinion, but why does it seem like everyone is trying to reinvent the wheel? Purchase a keene, jobe, gold hog, proline, .....etc. get your a** out there and dig a crater!!! Stop wasting your precious time. Maybe i am wrong....

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I have full use of an aluminum fabrication shop, a pile of sheets that I can have for free and Gold Hog mats that I am waiting for in the mail, why wouldn't I build exactly what I want instead of dumping a bunch of money into something I don't want... After owning different sluices you know what you like and what you don't and more importantly, what works for you and your specific needs and what doesn't. Half the time you end up doing modifications to them anyways. What I will build in a day for free will save me $350+shipping+the time it will take to arrive. Plus, there is just something rewarding about having something that you have created with your own two hands. :) Maybe it's just me...

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just my opinion, but why does it seem like everyone is trying to reinvent the wheel? Purchase a keene, jobe, gold hog, proline, .....etc. get your a** out there and dig a crater!!! Stop wasting your precious time. Maybe i am wrong....

mama has my money on lock down lol

Terrible - One

Feb 16, 2013
Corvallis
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Because to some, tinkering is just as fun as getting gold in your pan

pmgsourdough

Feb 13, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont have the time to "tinker". I love what i do and would never turn my back on it for a 9-5. I still have the fever after 10 years in.... production is my priority, and my passion is the color. Nothing is as exhilarating as seeing the color in my pan. Again, just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put in a few hours on the new sluice today. It still needs some welding, hardware, stand and a few other small pieces. The plate above the grizzly bars will have 2x1.5" holes for wash hoses. The whole thing fits inside itself and is compact enough to fit in a backpack. Once the Gold Hog mats arrive, I will finish drilling all the hardware holes. Im pretty excited! :)

image-2931940379.jpg

image-761497130.jpg

image-2314789708.jpg

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
island thats cool but i right now wouldnt beable to weld anything i have very lil training so what i think im going to do is make a henry-henry style sluice with non perforated aeriation pipes

Goldhunterwes

Greenie
Apr 27, 2013
Yucaipa, ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter not much time with it. Most my time is with a Thompson puffer drywashers a blower packwasher and then my 5 ft sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont have the time to "tinker". I love what i do and would never turn my back on it for a 9-5. I still have the fever after 10 years in.... production is my priority, and my passion is the color. Nothing is as exhilarating as seeing the color in my pan. Again, just my personal opinion.[/QUOTE

First I tinkered a lot but more because i did not as much money to put into it but now I got a few dry washers and sluices and I know I don't have the proper equipment to build one as good as they are. Now my biggest problem is how to process 2 buckets of cons from a weekend quickly as possible so I can get back out and dig up more.

2nd I'd say you need to be a fabricator AND have proper knowledge in sluice function or you will spend lotttttts of time tweaking it to get it to run like you want

Goldhunterwes

Greenie
Apr 27, 2013
Yucaipa, ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter not much time with it. Most my time is with a Thompson puffer drywashers a blower packwasher and then my 5 ft sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah see if your going to custom make something that's how to do it. It looks good are you going to have a way to secure the sections together? If not will take more on site setup attention.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Island_Hunter ,

That IS a most intriguing looking sluice/highbanker, my hat is off to you! Very nice construction and I find the side exit port to be unique, do you think it will need only a little hand clearing or none at all? I look forward to seeing it in action especially as a video! What do you expect the entire rig with motor/pump/hoses/gasoline or battery will weigh? Everything I do is all remote country with pack weight being a concern as well as distance in and out for back and forth carrying of gear.
Thank you for the post.................63bkpkr

Ah but wait, your pumpless highbanker thread comes back to me. I am beginning to seeee the light. How exciting!

Last edited:

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Island_Hunter, really like the design of that hopper.. awesome..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread