Show off yer sluice

djm0836

Greenie
Feb 18, 2016
soutwest MICHIGAN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484602869.821284.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484602886.913414.jpg
Recon fluid bed
Angus Mackirk explorer
Both are great!

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
Well, all of those goodlooking sluices make me want to be younger... Here is my endeavour in that field. It has a 3700 rule 12vdc pump. I use it 101 yards up hill from streams.... uh huh. I take my own water in a 55 galon drum [ 1/2 full] so ....

The problem is , finding time to use it.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DIY 57" sluice box

Newbie from so cal, New to sluiceing but fabricator was my trade, hope it works feedback welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN4842.JPG
    DSCN4842.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 107

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie from so cal, New to sluiceing but fabricator was my trade, hope it works feedback welcome.

It will work well. Expanded works great. You can get away with less riffles even. Try making a set with riffles at the end mainly as a wayward flake/nugget trap.

It allows for stratification and more throughput with less classifying. With great recovery still.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

How long is that baby? Looks around 7-8' in length, judging by the photo.

Edit: I missed the length you stated the first time I read and saw the pic.

Last edited:

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It will work well. Expanded works great. You can get away with less riffles even. Try making a set with riffles at the end mainly as a wayward flake/nugget trap.

It allows for stratification and more throughput with less classifying. With great recovery still.

Thank's for the tip Goldwasher, the riffles are welded to the expanded metal i will give it a shot and post results, i could grind a couple of them out later.

Sagverk

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heya everybody o/

Completely newbie from Norway on this field, as well as panning, only been at it for 6-7 months.
First of all, I'm astonished about the knowledge and fabrication skills that are floating aroung on this site.
Steep and fun learning experience, but as they say "learning by doing".

So I've rummage through the barn, collected some scraps and material, and started on my first sluice box.
Might not have the skills that you folks have, but for a first go, well... judge for your self.

Haven't taken the "Frankenstein creation" to the field yet.
Any input would the appreciated :)
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

The matting at the bottom is from old kitty carpet that usually lies infront of the litter box. looks like Miners moss, but only 1 cm deep. the V-mat is an old mat I found under 10 old radios.
Build costs: 0$

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may find you need to tip those riffles so the top edge is downstream of the bottom. When they are like little walls, it's tough for the fine gold to ever settle to the mat.

Sagverk

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may find you need to tip those riffles so the top edge is downstream of the bottom. When they are like little walls, it's tough for the fine gold to ever settle to the mat.

Could be that I might have to, going to test this version, and see how it goes.
Saw on Goldhog.com website, on "Riffle shapes and angles" Riffle Shapes and Angles . and thought I might try something that looked like the "E" version.
Could be that the mid plate "section" on the riffle is too long, but this was the nearest I could find "floor level lists". Since I don't have the equipment to fabricate my own riffles.

Might need quite a bit of water flow to work, might be too agressive to capture anything.
Just gotta wait for the weather to get better, cold and dense snowing right now.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How tall are those riffles?
1/2" - 5/8" is plenty, any taller and you have to go steeper on the sluice angle and have a faster flow.
Otherwise the sluice will load up.

With your V matt and kitty carpet I would just leave the riffles out if the flow wont support them.

GG~

Last edited:

Stryker_FO

Feb 22, 2008
White Mountain Lakes
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170501_073842.jpg

Here is mine. just waiting for permits and its being moved to a new location.

pic a little far off but its a 40' triple sluice

Attachments

• 20170501_073842.jpg
    20170501_073842.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109

Sagverk

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say 2" with no degree = like you said load up.

About 1 3/4". After a quick trip to the field for testing, I saw that they loaded up pretty fast. And needed alot of flow, stuff was just splashing around fiercely.
Rebuildt the riffle system, it's now 6 riffles, Clarkson style, and it's now about 3/4" high, placed about 1 5/8 inches apart (from riffle lip to the wall of the next riffle) tilted to a 10-15% angle.
Hopefully this will work better.

Appreciate the input, really helpfull :notworthy:

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 1 3/4". After a quick trip to the field for testing, I saw that they loaded up pretty fast. And needed alot of flow, stuff was just splashing around fiercely.
Rebuildt the riffle system, it's now 6 riffles, Clarkson style, and it's now about 3/4" high, placed about 1 5/8 inches apart (from riffle lip to the wall of the next riffle) tilted to a 10-15% angle.
Hopefully this will work better.

Appreciate the input, really helpfull :notworthy:

Clarkson style riffles were designed for use with wash plants with a high volume flow not for use on stream sluices.
You will need 3" to the foot of drop for them to work as intended to create the proper vortex between riffles as well as needing a fast flow.

In other words a 4 foot long sluice will need 12" of drop. A 5 foot sluice 15" Sometimes difficult to achieve in a stream.
Since yours are a modified version of the true Clarkson style your angle may vary to achieve the proper vortex.

clarkson.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GG what would you suggest that he SHOULD do instead of Clarkson riffles? (Which I agree are unlikely to perform well)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG what would you suggest that he SHOULD do instead of Clarkson riffles? (Which I agree are unlikely to perform well)

What Goldwasher said. :icon_thumleft:
Or else plastic milk crate bottoms cut to fit, since he is McGyvering it.

DairyCrateOrgange_x.jpg
milkcratesluice.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread