Miller table top surface?

kernKeith

Greenie
Sep 18, 2013
I'm gathering materials for a miller table build. Need some advice on a good surface for the table. Wood? Flat rubber mat? Chalk board? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! First time to build and use one! I would like to be successful the first time so I figured someone on this forum could lead me in the right direction! Thanks!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KK, from what I've found you can use any number of materials
successfully. Been building one myself, and am using a hardwood
with green chalkboard paint.

If you can get ahold of an older slate chalkboard, I hear that's
the "cat's meow". Another top choice is flat slate, but it's spendy.

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
I used green textured paint from the Walmart it really holds onto the gold.

ForumRunner_20131008_230732.png

ForumRunner_20131008_230633.png

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The originals were machine slate with microfine grooves machined into them. The chalkboard paint seems to work decent BUT must be even application as even the smallest imperfection disrupts the recovery process-RIP Miller...John

OP
OP
kernKeith

kernKeith

Greenie
Sep 18, 2013
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'm gonna go with rubber mat as the table top surface. Not sure if it's the best? But it will be cheap and easy! If it doesn't work I'll just strip it sand it and paint with chalkboard paint! Thanks again, KK

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
a miller table called the "black majic" uses a certain rubber surface (im assuming it is a butal rubber)and works real good! i use a peice of old school chalk board thats 3/8 inch thick! this is heavy but it works a lot better than the black board spray paint! i know because i used the paint and it worked ok but after much use, the paint needed tobe reapplied! PLUS i got the chalk board for free! i ended up cutting it into 4 peices useing my circular saw with a masonary blade and keep it wet or itll chip on you!! oh yha, i also use a ground fault receptical to prevent ant accidents while wet sawing this material!! i ended up giveing my other peices away to some friends,Reed Lukens,Indyjoe, and others!

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have made a number of miller tables out of different materials to see what I like best. What worked best for me so far was to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a Melamine shelf that is 12" by 24". It runs about $6.00. This is particle board covered with a heavy plastic material. It is flat and smooth and waterproof if left uncut. I tried the different paints, chalkboard, textured etc. and they all worked fine for me but I found that the Hobbico self healing mats worked best for me. I bought a 12 x 18 mat from Amazon and glued it to the top of the shelf. I cut the shelf off at 18" but you can leave it the full 24 inches if you like. You can cut these pretty short because most all of the gold stays in the top 6" if the water and angle is set up right. I picked up some 1 x 3 pine for the top and sides and used 1/2" pvc for the plumbing. I used Helmans spar varnish to waterproof the raw wood. These tables really work well for separating the gold from the sand.

Attachments

• Finished Miller.jpg
    Finished Miller.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 978
  • Miller Table parts.jpg
    Miller Table parts.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything above works good. For something quick and dirty a rubber doggy-door works pretty good. Good Luck Keith

DynoGuy

Nov 10, 2013
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went to Lowe's today and bought a 12" x 24" piece of ceramic tile that was fairly smooth and 1" x 3" edging (made of PVC so it should be water proof), I most likely won't get a chance to get this together till next weekend. I just not sure about what size pump to use, I guess that is what the search button is for.

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What you have chosen I think will work well for you. If you leave it at 12" wide you can also try one of the Hobbico 12" x 18" self healing mats like on mine in the pictures above and just lay it on the top. You can also spray paint it with the chalkboard paint or truck bed paint to try those as well and if you don't like they should clean off the tile with a razor blade easily. These things are really quite versatile and I think you will really like building and using one. The pump I use is a 200 GPH pump from Harbor Freight and it puts out just a little too much water so I just put a hose shutoff valve on it down at the pump to control it.

huntinnuggets

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it before but plasti-dip tool coating also comes in a spray paint. I used it over stainless steel and it has worked on super fine flour gold for me on the table I built.

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
Those "black magic" water tables use a black rubber drawer liner used for silverware drawers. You can buy rolls of it at lowes, Walmart, etc for cheap $6-12. There are also dining place mats made of the same material and in different colors if you're looking for a small piece

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used Krylon chalkboard paint (green) over 1" solid maple. My
table is a bit larger than most, but very efficient.

Dyno: I use a 268 GPH (110v) from Harbor Freight, and it is more than
sufficient. I think they're about $15.00.

I've had several prospecting friends look at mine, and they've
asked me to build them tables, too. Plan to buy a full sheet
of quality plywood (or perhaps even 1x12 Maple), seal it well and
then make about a dozen of them. Should have them ready to go
in a month or so if anyone is interested.

mrlindeman

Feb 6, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The underside of low profile v rib is perfect . i have used the self healing cut mats as well. Using a miller table is a slow slow process for sure but can be worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread