NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you use this as a sluice box if you put a ribbed mat in it? Any advise or recommendations

image-1062200480.jpg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure...I've even heard of people using them as they are. Any channel can be used as a sluice...just need some sort of riffles.
Jim

What would you recommend I use for that? Do you think it will be hard to cut the matting for it where it narrows out?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wouldn't be a difficult cut for me. I have no way to judge your abilities...LOL
As far as material goes....there are just so many variables, nobody can answer that question definitively. Depends on the gold you're after.
Jim

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't be a difficult cut for me. I have no way to judge your abilities...LOL
As far as material goes....there are just so many variables, nobody can answer that question definitively. Depends on the gold you're after.
Jim

Bigger rather then smaller

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The chunkier your gold, the less demanding the matting you use. Chunky gold settles really well, whereas flour gold tends to be really flat, and floats easily, so the matting to collect it needs to pretty good stuff, and your water-control has to be good. Flour gold is much less forgiving.
Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chunkier your gold, the less demanding the matting you use. Chunky gold settles really well, whereas flour gold tends to be really flat, and floats easily, so the matting to collect it needs to pretty good stuff, and your water-control has to be good. Flour gold is much less forgiving.
Jim

Will ribbed mats catch most of small good?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best engineered mats (probably Gold Hog) work great. Random stuff at your local store..sure if you run the sluice just right. To catch small gold in a cheap rubber mat sluice will require classification to 1/8 inch, shallow, slower water in the sluice and a lot of patience. Better the gear, the better the volume processed AND the better the capture rate. Simple and cheap may be fun to build but also a waste of your prospecting time.

...not that I have an opinion or anything!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen them used but if you notice the steps do not go all the way to the edge so you will need to also silicone dowels or such along the sides.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My house incorporates 6 of these devices, all of which are incorporated at the ground level of all rain spouts.

Perhaps a duel purpose could be a hat / visor combination, snow shoes , bird feeder/ bird bath combo.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My house incorporates 6 of these devices, all of which are incorporated at the ground level of all rain spouts. Perhaps a duel purpose could be a hat / visor combination, snow shoes , bird feeder/ bird bath combo.
Why do you persist in mocking, criticizing and heckling? Change your approach or see the door sir.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pirate, building your own equipment or tweaking factory made to fit your specific needs can be very educational and fun too. You need to KISS and realize what is working for you or not Good Luck. BTW you're at the right place for a source of info

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pirate, building your own equipment or tweaking factory made to fit your specific needs can be very educational and fun too. You need to KISS and realize what is working for you or not Good Luck. BTW you're at the right place for a source of info

KISS is my motto I thought using that gutter box is as simple as you can get thanks everyone for the support

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Pirate,

I'm glad to see that someone else is following in my tradition of building their equipment. I've always done it and have to admit that I've NEVER bought a sluice from any company so far. I enjoy making things and it's always very satisfying when you get your creation to work just as you had seen it in your mind. That's going to be changing once I get the claim filed as I'm going to be needing equipment on a much larger scale. Sure I could make it myself but it wouldn't be nearly as portable or as quick as some of the commercially made equipment. Once we have the claim, I want to be able to get it paying ASAP and don't want to have to waste time building all that stuff!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are best used as a clean up sluice though as those riffles are really small, if your wanting a stream sluice I wouldn't go with one of those as your not in total control of the water flow when your out prospecting. I'm not saying it wouldn't catch some gold if it were to be used prospecting but I would think you would be losing more than your catching.

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are best used as a clean up sluice though as those riffles are really small, if your wanting a stream sluice I wouldn't go with one of those as your not in total control of the water flow when your out prospecting. I'm not saying it wouldn't catch some gold if it were to be used prospecting but I would think you would be losing more than your catching.

How do you build it to be a cleanup sluice though? How do you set it up?

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to make a sluice box to use in a stream. you can stop by home depot and check out the rain "diverters" they come in about 26 gauge steel and L shapes. you can cut them with tin snips and clamp and glue to get your through. If you want to give making a scoop for the water flow a go you can smash some of the leftover metal with a*hammer and hand tools to bend into shape. I'm going to use Gold Hog matting for the riffles. Pm me if you want to see the picture of the one I made and I can tell you how it holds up to a 4+ mile hike and a few days of use, and the hike back after next weekend when I go up to the east fork.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread