My Bazooka Gold Trap Review

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took out my 30' prospector for the first time today! Really impressed..... I got 3x-5x times what i normally get with my AM. Granted Im a newbie so neither were probably running optimally. Well anyways I found a spot to set up the BGT. Water over the top was much slower then I expected. I probably should have found a deeper spot but i figured what the hell, let me test it this way first. I had to help the rocks over the grizzly's by hand and the overall feed was slow because of this. So i didnt know what to expect after my cleanup. I only really ran 4-5 5g buckets worth. I put a bucket at the end and lifted it up and to my surprise there is a GIANT rock stuck in the bottom intake.....I cant for the life of me figure out how this rock got sucked up in there because it was a large rock......it was definitely impeding water flow to the pipes and probably affect my fluid bed and gold recovery...idk.. but that being said I LOVED this thing!!! So much easier not having to classify! I might have lost some gold but it for sure catches the fine flour gold really well. So that is not an issue. You cant go wrong with this thing. Its hands down better then a regular sluice! Not even a contest....IMO.... If I correct the mistakes I made I think I will do 5x times my usual production easily. You cant argue with that!!!!!

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used one, never even seen one in person but I think ones going on my list to Santa. Nice work! Keep it up.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rock got stuck where?

I can't wait to get up on Crimbo morning and see that gorgeous 4 footer. Maybe I'll be up before the kids this year :D

Stay Calm
and
Sluice on!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would you say your increased production is due to better capture, moving more material or ??

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you say your increased production is due to better capture, moving more material or ??

I would say both...I used it again today. Not only does it catch the finest of flour gold, but you can not shovel fast enough....this thing is a hungry beast!! catches the powder, moves more material without classifying then you can dig,1-step- 1time cleanup per day and its just more fun! Dumping in large rocks is so much more fun! Its like a little wash plant! you can actually wash those big rocks easily with out fear of dumping gold! I was quite impressed with my tailings pile today :) #happygoldminer

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say both...I used it again today. Not only does it catch the finest of flour gold, but you can not shovel fast enough....this thing is a hungry beast!! catches the powder, moves more material without classifying then you can dig,1-step- 1time cleanup per day and its just more fun! Dumping in large rocks is so much more fun! Its like a little wash plant! you can actually wash those big rocks easily with out fear of dumping gold! I was quite impressed with my tailings pile today :) #happygoldminer
great to hear of your positive experience. That's just how I feel about it in fact! Quite an amazing tool overall.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran a few buckets with the mini today. Cool cause it fits in my backpack but you need to classify, yuk! Lol...i did notice that the trap didnt seem to be filling all the way up like the prospector did, not sure why. Maybe to steep of angle?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ran a few buckets with the mini today. Cool cause it fits in my backpack but you need to classify, yuk! Lol...i did notice that the trap didnt seem to be filling all the way up like the prospector did, not sure why. Maybe to steep of angle?
yes, most likely. Even when run dead flat the amount is modest so at an angle...not so good.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, most likely. Even when run dead flat the amount is modest so at an angle...not so good.
I figured it would be easy to set up but being so small it was a little tricky to get it right. My plan was to use my gold and sand hand pump for material. While i did make some improvements to the operation it still was a bust. First i tied a small rope to the bucket handle to my waist. This made it so much easier to get around. When the bucket got heavy with water i just dumped it out right there on my hip. Worked well. I also brought a small screwdriver with my to clear rocks that would get stuck in the nozzle....
Both techniques worked really well, but i still cant get any decent material!!!! I was pumping out behind all the big boulders that have been made accessible from the low water and bubkiss!!! Very little material and very little color.....idk...seemed like i was mostly getting silt and water......im about to give up on that thing...just doesnt seem worth the effort. Takes a lot of energy to work the pump for a tiny bit of material. Both time i used it i stopped after realizing i could get way more with a shovel..even underwater in a current......
I also made my first attempt at crevicing today! Used my flathead screwdriver and hammer to break apart a few cracks of bedrock and i actually got some decent stuff. A few larger flakes then what i was getting the other day. All in all i would say slightly more today in half the time, plus larger pieces going after the bedrock...i was surprised at how easy it came apart ! All in all i think the work is easier working the bedrock then shovel buckets but maybe that because the area im using has soooooo much rock, makes the digging tuff...idk....just a newbie out here on the river all by his lonesome and loving every minute of it!!!!!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, it seems like you are sorting out what techniques work best for your conditions. Great to hear you are getting some results crevicing. I know Red (owner of goldnsand) ties the one gallon bucket to his belt just like you describe. He is reluctant to recommend that due to concerns about safety...you are essentially tying a weight to yourself in a stream or river...one step closer to drowning.

Next spring when I get back on the creek with Red I will have to ask him about this situation of getting very little material to see if he has more hints. I haven't been using mine lately due to the easy shoveling in the creek i am working. The bedrock is a decaying sandstone I can scrape up with a shovel so I know I'm getting that last, gold rich, bit!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You wont get so much material filling the mini's trap as you do with the larger units..... It's a good thing. :icon_thumleft:
Means it is more efficient at clearing out the lighter material due in part to the traps smaller dimensions. (less backpressure on the fluidizing tubes) Remember it's the gold you want not a bunch of gravels.

Run it as flat as possible though, same with all sizes.

GG~

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mytimetoshine,
Which one of your bgt's do you like better? Any particular reason you opted for the 30 inch prospector over the 36 inch prospector? Looks like some of the colors you found were smaller than -50s, is that correct? I will be getting a bgt in the spring and am trying to decide which one to buy. I just got a gold n sand for xmas, seems you aren't to impressed with yours? Thanks for any info offered.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mytimetoshine,
Which one of your bgt's do you like better? Any particular reason you opted for the 30 inch prospector over the 36 inch prospector? Looks like some of the colors you found were smaller than -50s, is that correct? I will be getting a bgt in the spring and am trying to decide which one to buy. I just got a gold n sand for xmas, seems you aren't to impressed with yours? Thanks for any info offered.
Well i was conflicted about which one to get but i opted for the 30 because it was a little cheaper and lighter weight and the way it sounded was that I wouldnt be able to shovel fast enough anyway...and I was right. Wouldnt have been any advantage to having the 36 since i prospect by myself, maybe with a partner or some really easy digging you may need more sluice...yes they are fly poop tiny tiny pieces :( but at least we know the BGT will catch the smallest of gold!! Yea not to impressed with the gold and sand...I really thought it was going to work well....maybe it would work better with the bucket lower then the extraction site but I dont see how this is possible. The darn water is at the lowest point already , so how are you supposed to position your bucket lower??? idk...havent completely given up on it yet but I dont think i will be using it until I figure out what is wrong..

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's not about positioning the bucket lower, it's about holding the pump itself with the handle end lower...less vertical you might say.does that make sense?

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
if i may jump in here... i notice with the one i made that you have to make sure the pump is primed with water for it to work right. i dont want you to think im calling you dumb but i was having the same problem and when i figured it out i was like "DUH"

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
its suppose to be 60degrees tomorrow so i may call into work sick so i can go play in the water... lmao that sounds funny in december.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was certainly nice on Sunday, got about 5 buckets throught old trusty dusty Keene A51. I was in a hurry as it was quite late in the afternoon when I finally got started. Can't wait to not classify. C'mon Christmas!

Sure feels good to shovel again!

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
makes sense, ill give that a try

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread