Sluice Angle/Speed/Depth Help

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I started sluicing in the mountains here in CO, where it was always fairly easy to get my sluice adjusted to an angle/speed/depth I liked. However, I recently lost my job in the mountains and have returned to the plains. I'm trying to keep my gold fever in check with Denver trips between the once or twice a year trips back to my mountain spots. SO....

Long story short, I found a gravel bar I had pretty good luck at today, but I struggled to my sluice "tuned" properly - I could never get it to clear out as well as I like (we're talking anywhere from 2-5 minutes between scoops). The area I was working just doesn't have that much slope or depth, so I have two options the way i see it.

Option 1 - Set up my sluice somewhere up or down river and carry my bucket to it.

Option 2 - Hope someone on here has had a similar problem and can offer some advice on how to get the sluice to run better.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Build a wing dam upstream and into your sluice if possible and force as much water as possible where you want it, or supplement water flow with a dredge-style pump. You dont have to pump directly in to the sluice just upstream from it and it should create more flow if it is damned up well. You have probably already done this, but it is all I can think of.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AM87 I've spent a lot of time sluicing in metro Denver and almost always find I can build a little dam to get the flow I need. Sometimes I dam up whole creeks to get that good flow but I get it!

What waterway are you on? (No need to be too specific about locations if that makes you nervous...or PM me)

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on Clear Creek, and its about 15' wide where I'm at. The spot with the best slope has a bit of a pool above it, making a wing dam a bit of an endeavor. The REALLY frustrating thing it I can see just across the channel is a REALLY nice little spot where I could EASILY control the amount of water and slope, but it looks like the water is 3'-4' deep there.

If I'm being honest with myself (and everyone else) I kinda already knew my options were a wing dam, moving, or a different piece of equipment. I was just hoping an "old timer" on here would say "oh yea, all you got to do it XYZ and you'll be good" LOL

I guess I may just have to try and meet up with some fellow prospectors so we can do some trouble shooting on-site :thumbsup:

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many hands make small work of big chores. I am heading to the Denver area this Sunday and would gladly help you with option generation or building a dam. Let me know where on here or with a pm.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wing dam works mighty fine. If ya have some old flexible lawn/garden bordering it make great wing damn instantly. Just slide back and forth and push into the gravels and done,maybe a couple of rocks downstream if current is too strong but ez to do vs building a rock wall. Any,either or and good to go-John

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many hands make small work of big chores. I am heading to the Denver area this Sunday and would gladly help you with option generation or building a dam. Let me know where on here or with a pm.

Sadly I'll be working. Thanks for the offer and good luck!

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roll of sunshade and mule tape.

Fold the sunshade in 1/2 lengthwise, sew in the mule tape.

Span the dam across the river and run the mule tape out to trees or pound in some rebar.

0931097d-20ed-43bd-91a4-84e535dcbec2_145.jpg 2185.jpg

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that sunshade idea... I have some of the fabric I've been saving because I knew I would have a use for it (ok, maybe I have been saving it because I am a pack-rat), but I'll have to see if I can find some mule tape... The only place I have ever seen it running utility lines... would they have some at Home Depot or Lowes or somewhere??

On a related note... it may have been SLOW to run, but it was still doing its job... This was what I could pick/suck out after running about 2 gallons of dirt. Lots of smaller stuff that got added to my concentrates collection. But that is by far my best gold found to dirt run ratio ever! IMG_20140911_182600-1.jpg

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's some fine-fine gold!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes indeed, thumbs up!

PS hi Jesse!!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Kevin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread