Custom Riffles??

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a sluice, and it has done "well enough: when I have used it. However, I am a tinker-er.... I just can't leave "well enough" alone. It currently has a hinged riffle tray, expanded metal and carpet. I am planning to get some form of rubber matting to attach ahead of where the carpet starts, but I am also looking at mixing up the riffle shape. I have looked online, but have not yet found anywhere that has a "drop in" riffle tray that is any different from the one I have, so I am thinking I may have to either sac-up and try to make/modify it myself, or go to a weld shop and ask them to make one for me. Has anyone tried this before?? And any advice on what type of coating it should get, or would it be easier to have it made from aluminum rather than steel?

riffles.JPG

The one on the right is the shape I currently have, and the one on the left is the one I want.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out this page...................Riffle Shapes and Angles
The one you want looks exactly like example "E"

I have always used aluminum to build my riffles. Makes for a lot lighter weight to carry, although steel riffles are much stronger when it comes to holding the mats in place without bending.

But have since gone to using the fluid bed riffleless sluices such as the Bazooka Gold Trap, and now am enjoying greater gold recovery than ever before and without the classifying or cleanup hassles associated with riffles, mats, carpets, miners moss, etc.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I looked at those, but I'm on a fairly limited budget at the moment. I may end up trying a DIY version on the Bazooka, but in the mean time, I can't help but think about ways to improve the sluice I already have.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe that 2nd bend is going to cause material to accumulate in FRONT of the riffle and once material accumulates there it becomes nothing more than a slightly modified conventional riffle design.
Try it...that's the only way to tell.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I also was in this position before. I bent/welded up several sets of different riffels for different stream/gold conditions. as far as any coating on the riffle tray..........forget it, the water, gravels, and rocks will remove all your coatings quickly. and as far as rust.....itll be gone with the sand/rocks also.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER forget that when using expanded metal with any riffle system it MUST seal at the bottom and that's why #2(hungarian) is used in a sluice. The great ol'school hungarian riffle seals and doesn't let that knife edge of a dredge riffle,or your A )modified hungarian),to seal and out goes your gold back to the creek. Take a flashlight and shine on the downstream side and viola ifn' there is light in upward side,ya ain't tight,and adios that oro puro-John

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER forget that when using expanded metal with any riffle system it MUST seal at the bottom and that's why #2(hungarian) is used in a sluice. The great ol'school hungarian riffle seals and doesn't let that knife edge of a dredge riffle,or your A )modified hungarian),to seal and out goes your gold back to the creek. Take a flashlight and shine on the downstream side and viola ifn' there is light in upward side,ya ain't tight,and adios that oro puro-John

Yep, I was figuring that I would have to modify my desired riffle to include the flat portion of the Hungarian.

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If tou want custom riffles to improve recovery try gold hog mats
I dont have the budget to get rhem but nearly everyone ive talked to who has used them likes them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread