Got out a little today....................

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think once you are at the stage of super cons a one of the good little miller tables would be more efficient......
But then again ya gotta find what you are most comfortable with when it comes to retrieving the final gold from your cons....... :icon_scratch:

Oregon Viking......
Did you get the rest of that coffee can of black sand cleaned up?... Was there anything in that batch?
I have been back to the beach, and I now have a few 5 gallon buckets of "glintty" hey, I like that !:laughing7:
The clean up sluice I'am using is slooooow. You can see a lot of gold glinting, if that's a word...in the sunlight. It is tiny stuff. I need something I can feed fast. Gold Cube? A small hand full of this sand and you have 50+ pieces of gold and what I think is platinum winking at you.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been back to the beach, and I now have a few 5 gallon buckets of "glintty" hey, I like that !:laughing7:
The clean up sluice I'am using is slooooow. You can see a lot of gold glinting, if that's a word...in the sunlight. It is tiny stuff. I need something I can feed fast. Gold Cube? A small hand full of this sand and you have 50+ pieces of gold and what I think is platinum winking at you.
Nice.... I'll be down this weekend with the big cleangold and the new cart and we'll clean up that beach.....lol

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually I can't make it THIS weekend but you can be sure we will get down your way before too long......:laughing7:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this and would like to use it as a recirculating sluice as well.

Whaleshead creek is perfect for this sluice, and close to the black sand. You are supposed to get a permit (free) but every time I ask, they say well...I don't know!

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I talked to Calum at the Coos Bay offices and he said they have done away with the permits. But if there is a local parks office to just let them know what your going to do where .... and if nobody was there to go ahead and do you beach mining .... He also said it would not be a bad idea to have a copy of the section of rules on beach mining with you because not all park personnel are familiar with them.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great news! Whaleshead is a state park but I have never seen any rangers on the beach. If you have the Clean Gold ...I think you do...in the above video, that would be fast and easy to set up in Whalehead creek. The sand is fairly close. We will get a few lookie-loos, but I just hand them a shovel :laughing7:

DSCN8144.JPG

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup... Mine is the 16"x24" with a slick plate the same size so overall length is 48".... I don't have the matting in the slick but with beach sand it's no big deal.
I have thought about adding it though just to help stir things up and aid in the settling of the gold a little faster.
Like I said though it won't be this weekend...... maybe in a couple a weeks we can get down your way.

022112153621.jpg

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Talk them into a 150 and a 200 and I'm in at those prices. 3 extra size fractions below 100 could be boon to my efforts.

Basically you are getting 120 microns or Tyler standard sieve size of about 112 (just a bit finer than 100 which would be 150 microns); the 90 microns is 170 Tyler standard and the 60 microns is about 256 Tyler standard. Not too bad for three 6" size sieves at less than $20 with shipping. So you wanted 150 sieve--you get 170 and you wanted 200, either use the 170 or the 256. See; home free. :)

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Basically you are getting 120 microns or Tyler standard sieve size of about 112 (just a bit finer than 100 which would be 150 microns); the 90 microns is 170 Tyler standard and the 60 microns is about 256 Tyler standard. Not too bad for three 6" size sieves at less than $20 with shipping. So you wanted 150 sieve--you get 170 and you wanted 200, either use the 170 or the 256. See; home free. :)

I didn't catch that the descriptions were described as 120, 90, 60 microns.:icon_scratch: All the sieves I have seen are by Tyler mesh size but lab testing sieves have additional info for the opening size. That said, I wonder if their description is right.:dontknow: That is a bargain price as most sieves of that type and those screen sizes are usually above $50 apiece from what I have seen.
Thanks

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't catch that the descriptions were described as 120, 90, 60 microns.:icon_scratch: All the sieves I have seen are by Tyler mesh size but lab testing sieves have additional info for the opening size. That said, I wonder if their description is right.:dontknow: That is a bargain price as most sieves of that type and those screen sizes are usually above $50 apiece from what I have seen.
Thanks

The description seems like they would work; they are all metal. The lower price is because I suspect you are being subsidized by the "growing" drug trade in CA, CO, WA and other places. (Pun intended) Simply economies of scale, I think. I noticed someone ordered another set since last night when I posted this. Anyone here do so? If you did, please post what you think about the sieves in terms of classifying cons.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep. I noticed the association too. I had no idea. Nuff said.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

I ordered a set also just because after everything is crushed and has gone through my 100 mesh these will work everything further as a next stage for everything that is -100 already. For $20 bucks it's a great deal but they have less than 20 sets left.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ordered a set also just because after everything is crushed and has gone through my 100 mesh these will work everything further as a next stage for everything that is -100 already. For $20 bucks it's a great deal but they have less than 20 sets left.

I agree, and am ordering a set now. I have a 100 mesh already, but it is pretty beat up (I bought it used). Now if someone wants to know how small my Bazooka is catching, I can measure it to about 250 mesh rather than just -100! :)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a little leery of the aluminum screen material if the description is what that means. With proper lab procedure use it should still hold up though.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a little leery of the aluminum screen material if the description is what that means. With proper lab procedure use it should still hold up though.

I could be wrong, but while it says "Aluminum Herbal Pollen Set of 3 Screen Size stackable" further down it says "Made of Stainless Steel" so I took it to be aluminum rims and stainless steel wire since it also says "Made of Industrial Graded Micro Metal Thread Screen." Since I am not forcing material through the sieves, I think they might hold up OK. Reed Lukens apparently thought so also. However, I will give a full report when I receive them.

speaking of receiving them, I am going on Spring Break for a week today to the mountains and the kids and grandkids are going to ski. So I elected the slowest delivery which got me an dollar added to my Amazon Kindle account. So now, they are under $19, with free shipping on Amazon Prime. That is like $6 and change per sieve, so if the quality is really poor (doesn't match description) I can return them, but if it is fair, I can used them until they wear out. At $6 a screen, that would be a great deal.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong, but while it says "Aluminum Herbal Pollen Set of 3 Screen Size stackable" further down it says "Made of Stainless Steel" so I took it to be aluminum rims and stainless steel wire since it also says "Made of Industrial Graded Micro Metal Thread Screen." Since I am not forcing material through the sieves, I think they might hold up OK. Reed Lukens apparently thought so also. However, I will give a full report when I receive them.

speaking of receiving them, I am going on Spring Break for a week today to the mountains and the kids and grandkids are going to ski. So I elected the slowest delivery which got me an dollar added to my Amazon Kindle account. So now, they are under $19, with free shipping on Amazon Prime. That is like $6 and change per sieve, so if the quality is really poor (doesn't match description) I can return them, but if it is fair, I can used them until they wear out. At $6 a screen, that would be a great deal.

That is a good deal.... Be sure to let us know how it all turns out....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well getting ready to head up the coast and move some sand........ Will see just what the beach there has to offer. .... will have pics for you later.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just another beautiful day at the coast....

2015-03-21 13.11.13.jpg

Now lets see...... Where do I start?............

Image 1.jpg

OK......... Just got back from my little expedition and we have had some pretty good tides as well as storm driven surf...... Needless to say the beach is completely different than it was just a few days ago. Anyhow walked on down the beach to the area where the pictures were taken in the first post of this thread and then made my way back to the crick to set up and run the material.
The cart got awfully heavy but it still beats the heck out of hauling buckets, speaking of which I think there was about 4 buckets of sand in the cart by the time I got to the crick.....

2015-03-21 11.14.12.jpg

Got the sluice set up and getting some material put through it....

2015-03-21 11.36.47.jpg

2015-03-21 11.13.50.jpg

We got in about 3 hours before the tide ran us off the beach today.
I got about a pint of cons from the 4 bucket run. These cons need to be reduced further then onto the miller table I have to put together yet... found some great plans for one and will start that project very soon.

Speaking of Miller Table plans..... Here they are..... http://www.wwgpaa.org/Graphics/miller-table-1.pdf

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A test pan of a 1/4 tsp or less will give you quick indication of what you may expect. I found 15 to 20 tiny specks from just a pinch of black sand from one of the creeks around Bandon. You should find as much or more in your concentrates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy arizau.
I will get to that a bit later.... Now I'm kinda feeling my age.........:laughing7:
Also using the cleangold cleanup , it will bring the pint of cons down to about 1.5 tablespoon. I have yet to try that though.
I still think I want to put together one of those little miller tables though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions