Purchased pay dirt for some tests (and a little spring fever)

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the gold pictures from members not in the frozen tundra inspired me to buy some pay dirt on Amazon to experiment a bit more with my Black Magic miller table. I purchased a 1 pound bag of Yuba River pay dirt for $19 shipped and was impressed with the amount of gold.

I really wanted to see how well my miller table would sort out >20 mesh concentrates. I ran the <20 mesh twice and then the >20 mesh twice. I learned some important lessons and my first impressions were reinforced:

1.) Gold will plant itself in just a few inches of where it's scooped on the table whether fly poop or >20 mesh.
2.) I may have thrown out >20 mesh gold in my front yard this past summer. :BangHead:

This past summer I classified my sluice concentrates through a 20 mesh grizzly. I did not pan >20 mesh concentrates assuming gold pieces would be large enough to be somewhat easy to see from within the grizzly. Lesson learned...even >20 mesh concentrates can have surprisingly small pieces of gold hidden in there. I found 3 nice chunky flakes using the miller table with the >20 mesh concentrates. As with the <20 mesh concentrates, the gold planted itself on the table just about where it was scooped. I increased the water flow when working the >20 mesh (reduced water flow for <20 mesh).

Here was my bounty but most importantly a lesson learned. I look forward to the season.

Yuba_River_Gold.JPG

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...and quit tossing out your cons! Save them to reprocess when you learn more Grasshopper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread