Bending 1/4" ABS...help

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mainly work acrylic and polycarbonate.

My 10" adjustable dam cutting mat miller table.
IMG_2810.JPG

I'd like to build another table only with 1/2" sides so I can dado the table and mat down. I also want to modify the dam system so that I can angle the dam a bit more to more easily level the water on the table.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use ABS for most of my projects and simply glue it. I've never had a joint let go, and I get nice, sharp corners.
Jim

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russ,

Yes, that is correct, shutting it down hot is a great way to shorten the life. I always turn the heat off and run it until cool. Also good to mention, weld prep is the same as metal, bevel the joints accordingly, and the material must have the surface coating scraped off. Just like metal, one needs to recognize the differential heating and plan the weld accordingly.
As you noted, with welding, you are not constrained by the bending tool rebound, thickness, and angles.

ABS is fine, but as noted, fuel will melt it. Always make certain that you get colors that are UV stable. You can weld different type of plastic such as ABS, HDPE, PE, it just has to be like material to like material, and use the proper rods.

As far as cost, 1/4" 4'x8' HDPE is $48 retail, 1/4" 4'x8' ABS is $57 retail, so pretty close

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russ,

Yes, that is correct, shutting it down hot is a great way to shorten the life. I always turn the heat off and run it until cool. Also good to mention, weld prep is the same as metal, bevel the joints accordingly, and the material must have the surface coating scraped off. Just like metal, one needs to recognize the differential heating and plan the weld accordingly.
As you noted, with welding, you are not constrained by the bending tool rebound, thickness, and angles.

ABS is fine, but as noted, fuel will melt it. Always make certain that you get colors that are UV stable. You can weld different type of plastic such as ABS, HDPE, PE, it just has to be like material to like material, and use the proper rods.

As far as cost, 1/4" 4'x8' HDPE is $48 retail, 1/4" 4'x8' ABS is $57 retail, so pretty close
Those are good prices. Where are you getting 1/4" ABS for $57? Is that smooth-sided?
Jim

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I don't know anyones locations, for the example, I used the prices here in San Diego ABS Plastic sheets

EDIT: Sorry, that is for 1/8" not 1/4" 1/4" is a bit more at $114.... sorry :BangHead:

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL....I thought that was awful cheap for 1/4".
Jim

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea, I was about to go have a talk with my supplier but my 1/4" abs was about $80. and I keep my pump and fuel far away from the water and sluice box.
DSCF0025.JPG

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone tried chemical welding using MEK? we use it here at work to clean off the tops of servers (alsong with denatured alch). MEK was originally made for plastic welding i do believe.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone tried chemical welding using MEK? we use it here at work to clean off the tops of servers (alsong with denatured alch). MEK was originally made for plastic welding i do believe.

ABS specific glue is available at hardware stores. I haven't tried it but was told where to find it by the shop that cut, bent and supplied the plastic for my sluice. Who knows though, it may be a form of what you describe.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ABS specific glue is available at hardware stores. I haven't tried it but was told where to find it by the shop that cut, bent and supplied the plastic for my sluice. Who knows though, it may be a form of what you describe.
Yup...ABS glue forms a solvent weld. I don't know the specific chemicals involved, but don't need to. All the jigs I've built, and the shaker table, and I've never had a joint come loose. That said, I can see some applications where bending would be better...especially with material thinner than 1/4". I've learned alot on this thread.
Jim

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glued abs is extremely strong. It will hold and break where the weld starts. Make sure there is glue on both pieces and clamp.. basically one piece now.bend for simplicity. but, if you have to cut pieces and fabricate then go for it...reinforce if you want.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A.b.s apron on feed box.

Attachments

• 1439846764700.jpg
    1439846764700.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 104

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glued abs is extremely strong. It will hold and break where the weld starts. Make sure there is glue on both pieces and clamp.. basically one piece now.bend for simplicity. but, if you have to cut pieces and fabricate then go for it...reinforce if you want.
Yup...clamping is really important for solid joints.
Jim

OP
OP
M

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ABS cement is MEK, ABS resin, and Acetone. No wonder it works so damn good. Here's a photo of the bazooclone trough bent with a heat gun. The bottom has a bow in it right where the vertical piece that holds the tubes goes. Gonna try and heat that to flatten it out a bit before gluing it all together.

Attachments

• 1439853267055.jpg
    1439853267055.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 93

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had to use ABS glue to repair the Grey water tank on my trailer. I added ABS shavings to the glue and mixed it up real good to thicken it up and make a better patch. So far it's held up extremely well and it's been over a year. I imagine bending might be better but the glue pretty much melts the ABS together.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
acetone mixed with abs shavings makes a great patch and corner bead...we call it "GOOBER"...it dries hard.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ABS is cool stuff and so versatile to use. I might even try my hand at making a vacuform setup to try making a dredge sluice with built in formed riffles or whatever just because I like making stuff :occasion14:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I know the thread is using ABS, but I have found HDPE to be a far better product to use. It is very easy to bend and weld. Harbor Freight has the welders for pretty cheap, and fabrication gets really addicting! I also use a 36 inch wide sheet metal bender for parts. fabricated my own pontoons from stock. HDPE is UV stable (in a few colors) and is not affected by fuel and oil (which ABS is).

This one is perfect for $65 Plastic Welding Kit

harbhor Freight has a 3 day sidewalk sale going on today through Sunday. im going over to get my hot air welder today! plus id like to get some of those extra nozzels that they show in this video. probly have to buy them individually from the manufactor!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive decided NOT to buy this hot air welder. waaaaayyyy to heavy to be using for me. and the tips that are availiable DONT come with it and HF don't know who to get them from. Ill make due with the 2 hot air welders I have.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Russ check out Abbeon.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread