Royal Compact Sluice giving me a HUGE headache! 2+ hours to setup!

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure if it is my experience or the bazooka but I finally can locate a spot on the creek and have my bazooka setup in about 5-10 minutes and then I'm digging. As other great members have said on here it all comes down to your process and how much material you can run in the time you are out. You get more gold when you run more material. With my bazooka I've learned to look for a high flow area that has a nice set of rocks and a decent drop. I set it in there and jam a few rocks around the sides so it stays put and that's it. I also sort of think that Royal is cashing in on the latest gold rush and manufacturing things to meet consumer demands but not actually testing and improving like the Doc at Gold Hog does.

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure if it is my experience or the bazooka but I finally can locate a spot on the creek and have my bazooka setup in about 5-10 minutes and then I'm digging. As other great members have said on here it all comes down to your process and how much material you can run in the time you are out. You get more gold when you run more material. With my bazooka I've learned to look for a high flow area that has a nice set of rocks and a decent drop. I set it in there and jam a few rocks around the sides so it stays put and that's it.

Would you say, that one could run a Bazooka within 10 minutes in this place?:
Just wondering... :dontknow:
IMG_20160306_192414[1].jpg

Btw, the upper sluice was running properly, the second got clogged

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard to tell from a pic but I think so :) If you can run a sluice with metal riffles, you can run a Supermini :)

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard to tell from a pic but I think so :) If you can run a sluice with metal riffles, you can run a Supermini :)

I thought, a Sniper could do the job.
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGi4wDZnJURbFZlTTEzTElvSGM/view?usp=sharing[/video]
Perhaps one would need to build a higher dam .
Btw, I don't like dams... dam....damn....:tongue3:

Br,
Michael

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buy a 'zooka. That said, after seeing the last photo I'm not surprised you're having trouble; that looks like a fairly slow moving and flat body of water. No sluice is going to work in a pond with a little current.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea that's not much of a dam. 2 inches of water won't work on a bazooka.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you say, that one could run a Bazooka within 10 minutes in this place?:
Just wondering... :dontknow:
View attachment 1282482

I think so...
The gravel in the stream looks fairly small (2"- 3" avg?)
So if you shoveled a trough down the center (purple area) making it deeper to get more water into the area, building up the rocks and such on the sides (in red) creating your barriers narrowing down the water into your Bazooka Sniper. :dontknow:

maybe this.JPG

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice art work! I gotta learn to do that!

PS I love seeing a pic of a sluice in the water with snow on the bank!

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
218bd6e10e0182834f153ec81a1b5fbf.jpg

Here's a snowy high banking setup for ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
G-Bone. Good point but the water is flowing toward us. [emoji37] Still? If you rock it up and get some drop/flow it should work.

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool drawing :)
The creek is flowing in the opposite direction but the drawing is better this way :notworthy:

The gravel size is from 2" - 5"
I wanted to avoid building a dam like this:
IMG_20160306_192414[1].jpg
Simply, because it is a lot of work.
During that time I could have dumped buckets of material into my Turbopan directly (done while prospecting the bank upstream).
In this case it does not matter if it is a Bazooka or standard sluice because I would have to carry the buckets from there to the sluice :walk:
I think it is worth to try my powered fluid bed there. Build a bigger dam, let the water flow over the slick plate and the rest is done by the pump. Might work :read2:

Michael

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duh............wrong direction. oops.

Copy that AUT :icon_thumleft: Work Smarter not harder!

Last edited:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I vote bazooka... save the headache. With the pictures you provided, you can get more than enough flow for a sniper. Just my 2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread