Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

What's your thoughts on a good first sluice box?

I DIY myself a rain gutter sluice, and caught some lead fishing lures, so I know it sorta works, but I'm concerned my fines are blowing out, plus the volume it runs is so low that my production is awful.

I was thinking of the Le Trap as a good into box but figured I'd come here and ask if anything has changed in the last few years in the ~$100 range I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a Bazooka!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at the Gold Hog stream sluice and the Bazooka sluice . I'm new but I have done research and both are the best in my opinion . I habe purchased both , also the Gold Hog first and the Bazooka second

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh , and welcome too the forum by the way .

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I only had $100 to spend I would go with the Le Trap, but if you can spend a little more go with the bazooka. I've seen some nice hibankers and clean up sluices made with the Le Trap that you could use it for later on if you desired, but in the meantime they are also a great stream sluice with classified material. Good luck with your decision!

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like the bazookas are all the rage these days so it's worth dumping in an extra 50 since I'm already $100 in.

Something like the sniper would be a good place to start if I went that direction?

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A sniper for backpacking and a prospector for easy to get to spots or higher production would be ideal.

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK so from the users of bazookas, what's the differences between the various sizes of bazookas in a given category?

I don't mind spending money, but it's difficult to understand the difference between the various sizes in a given category on the bazooka website.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I had $105 to spend I would get a Bazooka Supermini but only if I was interested in shoveling directly into the box and collecting gold faster than any other sluicing method. Yes you have to dump it more often and yes you don't get to see the gold glittering in the riffles it being stashed away below deck in the fluid bed, but you can collect more gold quicker, trade that in and move up to a bigger Bazooka and more production. Whatever you get good luck in your gold getting pursuits.

IMG_2628.JPG IMG_3953.JPG

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldfleks you got a post in while i was writing the other one. The difference for me is the Supermini is small only 24" long and light weight. It can be used to sample and despite what people say you can clobber it material. It has a small trap so I dump mine after 10 gallons of material. If you set your cradle right it is no big deal but you lose shovel time. The sniper is an enlarged supermini with a bigger trap. You can shovel much longer and they come in longer sizes yet lightweight and portable and can dump into your pan. The prospectors are wider and two people can shovel a good long day into them and they should be dumped into a 5 gallon bucket. They need more flow. The differences in the models are the differences in how you are going to use them. I have 4 of them now and they all catch gold well and are easy to use. Just remember a sluice is not a gold finder it it a gold processor. The Bazookas classify the material and leave you with a trap of black sand and small heavies and gold. The length of the sluice in any of the models gives you better breakup of the material. With my supermini being only 24" I sometimes toss the material upstream on the deck of it as it gives it more time to break up. Hope this has helped. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best equipment depends on the conditions of where you'll be digging. Where are you based and what conditions will you be in?

Also how fit are you? Got enough endurance to make a Prospector worth it?

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good sir, it just so happens you are in luck. I have exactly what you need at a highly discounted price. It will require a bit of elbow grease but it manages your shoveling and sluicing all in one shot...

dredge1.jpg

Yours today, in for a mere million dollars (US). If you'd let me know how you'd like to pay and when you can pick it up....

Ran when parked...

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha-ha, I'm not ready to be the Dredge Pirate Roberts just yet.

And Kevin, from the sounds of it the Prospector is a bit much for my current needs at this time, I'm really only running a couple buckets before the, "can we go I'm bored" kicks in from the other one.

East fork San Gabriel so have some low flow conditions, hopefully we'll get some rain this year.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha-ha, I'm not ready to be the Dredge Pirate Roberts just yet.

And Kevin, from the sounds of it the Prospector is a bit much for my current needs at this time, I'm really only running a couple buckets before the, "can we go I'm bored" kicks in from the other one.

East fork San Gabriel so have some low flow conditions, hopefully we'll get some rain this year.

With low flow, go with the 30" Sniper.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes a 30" sniper is Ideal for the East Fork. There is plenty of flow to run it.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
30" Sniper is on my Valentines list!

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
30" sniper is on my birthday list for next month. Hope my kids and my wife come through.

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a 30 inch prospector and I love it as much my dog. I have heard a lot of people buy smaller models only to find that they really wanted a larger sluice. I set up my prospector in a stream that was less than a foot deep and it worked fine. In my opinion the set-up was very forgiving, clean ups were easy, and the sluice dramatically increased production.
Best Colors,
dvdt

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After reading this page of posts I am itchy all over to get out and set up my sniper. The water levels were super high this last week and covered up a good spot I just found so if the water is right the river pays this Friday.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading this page of posts I am itchy all over to get out and set up my sniper. The water levels were super high this last week and covered up a good spot I just found so if the water is right the river pays this Friday.

That itch is poison oak... ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread