Hope to try soon the self classifing A/M alaskan flair sluice

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well up here in maine its been warm the last 2 days but the ice layer in my streams is still 3 to 6" thick and would be a day job to break it up so anyways been playing with the angus mackirk again and this time hopefully making it self classifying........I admit there will be some adjusting and things to work out but being a one man band in the woods I believe in the less to take in with you the better and quickest clean outs so hoping this will do the trick........see what you think?

Attachments

• angus mackirk sluice screen 001 (640x480).jpg
    angus mackirk sluice screen 001 (640x480).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 302
  • angus mackirk sluice screen 002 (640x480).jpg
    angus mackirk sluice screen 002 (640x480).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 240
  • angus mackirk sluice screen 003 (640x480).jpg
    angus mackirk sluice screen 003 (640x480).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 238
  • angus mackirk sluice screen 004 (640x480).jpg
    angus mackirk sluice screen 004 (640x480).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 262

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would dith the input blockage. That punchplate the whole way causes enough drag. Drop riffles like faster water. I wouldnt impeade it at introduction to the flare you may not get build up because of the sizre of the punch but your not going to get the exchange you want because of how slow the undercurrent is going to be. I never understood why calsluices are like that either.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would dith the input blockage. That punchplate the whole way causes enough drag. Drop riffles like faster water. I wouldnt impeade it at introduction to the flare you may not get build up because of the sizre of the punch but your not going to get the exchange you want because of how slow the undercurrent is going to be. I never understood why calsluices are like that either.

What he said.

Also with a riffle sluice you need to be able to watch the material in the Ruffles to ensure you are set up correctly. How will you do that with this configuration?

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are things that are going to be trial and error I admitt really though my whole thought of this is making it like my Thomas creek top runner 2 but with faster clean up in mind and yes the riffle configuiration I can or will be actually be able to see quite a bit through the plate most of my spots don't have a lot of black sand its garnet I have to watch for more than anything if this don't work I might make like a hinge pin some where along so it can be folded up to see whats going on what really matters is getting the gold and results as soon as the ice clears will get some vid time in to show you guys don't give up on me yet if I have to put a fluid bed in to appease you guys LOL! I will find a combo with this that works well of this set up

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What he said.

Also with a riffle sluice you need to be able to watch the material in the Ruffles to ensure you are set up correctly. How will you do that with this configuration?

I would also be conserned with losing pickers , depending on the size of the Gold in your area . It looks well engineered but I think I would also delete the upper obstruction in the mouth of the sluice that will inhibit water flow , it won't take much sand and setiment to clog the intake . JMHO

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks like a cool idea. What they said above about the flair input not needing the screen is on point. You want to keep water flow into the sluice up as the riffles need to be washed and create the vortex behind each riffle. I think you do not need the screen down the length of the sluice. I see what you are thinking, how the water flow will probably wash some of the classified rocks off the top but I belive the water flow will not wash the rocks off the top. I have a suggestion though. Only put the classifier screen over the flair. The rest of the sluice should be open as KevinInColorado pointed out you need to see the riffles in action. Then you could hinge one side of the classifier screen and bend up the down stream end to catch rocks then when it gets full you can flip the classifier and dump the rocks off to the side. I think your idea would speed up your production if you dial it in.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well there's no fear of nuggets being lost.....in maine to find a nugget that big is pretty rare but does happen once in a blue moon but my thought was to have some type of screen and act maybe as a surge protector.........as I have stated this will be a trial and error but once the bugs are figured out of it I feel very confident this will capture very fine gold.............if people never could try different things half the inventions wouldn't be on the market today!

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also might try if the screen hangs up is about half way down or more make a fold back grizzly out of stainless steel rod but I know on my Thomas creek there is no hang up if you have good flow

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well there's no fear of nuggets being lost.....in maine to find a nugget that big is pretty rare but does happen once in a blue moon but my thought was to have some type of screen and act maybe as a surge protector.........as I have stated this will be a trial and error but once the bugs are figured out of it I feel very confident this will capture very fine gold.............if people never could try different things half the inventions wouldn't be on the market today!
Keep us posted to how it works , I just think about how the gravel , etc . Run it and let us know . Just trying to br helpful , no hsrm no fowl .

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no I do appreciate feedback will get some vids here maybe if it isn't to bad i'll try to do at least maybe some flow tests?

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brandon, how's it going these days? I once saw something very similar to what your doing. They had the punch plate going half way down the sluice, then they made use of a backwards facing v-plate to force rocks off either side of the sluice. I believe they used a couple of horizontal legs to keep the sluice from tipping. When the glaciers finally recede from Maine tell us how you made out.

Good Luck and Best Colors,
dvdt

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey will do david .............if the original don't work I got other idea's in mind

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice mod. I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my AM Boss. I can run it now unclassified but wanted to test and see if that would change anything. Looking forward to seeing the results.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you EZ rider yeah if I have some time this weekend and not to cold think we'll try it out .........kind of curious ez on unclassified are you putting big rocks through it? I had the recon and grub stake they were ok I actually preferred the grub over the recon myself but really love this Alaskan flair unit it will capture very fine gold!

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thank you EZ rider yeah if I have some time this weekend and not to cold think we'll try it out .........kind of curious ez on unclassified are you putting big rocks through it? I had the recon and grub stake they were ok I actually preferred the grub over the recon myself but really love this Alaskan flair unit it will capture very fine gold!

I don't put boulders in it but up to 4 inches. If you get the water right it will hum and chew up the dirt!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any word yet how it works , I am always wondering how our fabrications work ?

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have not had a chance due to the weather and my father inlaw just passed away 2 days ago maybe sunday if I get things cleared and cought up but will get pics and vids

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well laugh all you want when I get the bugs worked out not classifying then we'll see who's laughing my friend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread