Results with your Bazooka Mini? (Not super mini)

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin. Do you find the sniper to need less flow than the prospector? 30"? Also, is the flow needed for the mini or supermini any different in your opinion? Maybe I should go with the 36" sniper? I have flow, but I don't know about "great" flow.

Yes the sniper needs much less water than the Prospector, that's why the company added that model in between the Mini and the Prospector.

The Mini and the Supermini have the exact same fluid-bed so they need the same water flow.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the sniper needs much less water than the Prospector, that's why the company added that model in between the Mini and the Prospector.

The Mini and the Supermini have the exact same fluid-bed so they need the same water flow.

Which would you go with if you had to make a choice. Sniper (30" or 36") or prospector 30"? Let's say the flows range from medium in one creek, to medium-high in another.

If you go with the sniper, do you think the difference between the mini and sniper is that big of a change? Obviously size is different, but being able to shovel more frequently and other things like that?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Which would you go with if you had to make a choice. Sniper (30" or 36") or prospector 30"? Let's say the flows range from medium in one creek, to medium-high in another.

If you go with the sniper, do you think the difference between the mini and sniper is that big of a change? Obviously size is different, but being able to shovel more frequently and other things like that?

If I could only have one Bazooka (I have 3!), I'd get the Sniper as it's the most versatile. It'll take about 1/2 shovelful at a time which is good. Also the trap is big enough to tolerate running at enough slope to self clear most of the time.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could only have one Bazooka (I have 3!), I'd get the Sniper as it's the most versatile. It'll take about 1/2 shovelful at a time which is good. Also the trap is big enough to tolerate running at enough slope to self clear most of the time.

That definitely solidifies everything for me. A part of me wants to believe that the mini is adequate enough. Trust me, I LOOK to spend more money on my hobbies. But this one has just kept me wondering for some reason. I've put half a shovels full on the mini with zero problems before, and it works like a charm. But it's the trap that I think seems to be the only issue. I'm afraid of it filling too fast with material, to the point where it doesn't clear as fast as id like it to, possibly blowing out any gold. Especially since Pennsylvania gold is so fine.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad that helps. A 36" sniper is a great sluice, enjoy!

And remember a fluid bed is supposed to be loosely full of material the whole time it's in operation. That's a good thing.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is my sniper (30 inch model)

20160323_122940.jpg 20160325_113135.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes. the gold in my area is tiny! usually only -100s. In the blue pan pic, thats some of the biggest gold i have ever seen in Villa Rica.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniper model - 24" and 30"
First run was with the 24"
The following two trips was with the 30"

G-bones sniper results.jpg

And all this really shows is that I need to get out more.:BangHead:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniper model - 24" and 30"
First run was with the 24"
The following two trips was with the 30"

View attachment 1293521

And all this really shows is that I need to get out more.:BangHead:

That's incredible! Did you find the upgrade (30") worthy of the difference from the 24"?

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's incredible! Did you find the upgrade (30") worthy of the difference from the 24"?

I would say yes - I do notice a little difference.
I feel this is most noticeable when water flow is fairly slow.
I think the added length helps with boosting velocity in the fluid chamber as well as on the top deck.
And I can still get the unit in my backpack and fully covered up.

Cheers

G

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For you guys trying to catch that flour gold...This was a little project that I put together specifically to be able to mine a little material in the draws that had dried up in the summer.

You could process a 5 gallon bucket of screened material in about 15 minutes if I remember right. I was using a scoop to feed it.

I mixed in a half once of flour gold, pickers and nuggets and ran the material through as a test. The only gold it lost was the big nuggets, they would just roll out. The fine gold - I could hardly get it out of the "riffles" when it came time to clean up. I'd say it was catching close to 100% of what was going through it, within the first 10" of the pipe. This picture was taken after I had run 3 or 4 buckets of very dirty clay/native soil through it.
I also ran straight river gravel through it and it seemed to work OK that way as well.
It was pretty cheap to put together.

I ended up using it to run crevice material rather than panning. It was proof of concept more than anything.
poop tube_1.jpg poop tube_2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say yes - I do notice a little difference.
I feel this is most noticeable when water flow is fairly slow.
I think the added length helps with boosting velocity in the fluid chamber as well as on the top deck.
And I can still get the unit in my backpack and fully covered up.

Cheers

G

Thanks g-bone, that helps understand what you're paying Attention to, and what I may not understand just yet. Looks like flowing more water velocity through the chamber is important, or it won't stir it up enough. I hope the mini can still successfully do the job.

I'm waiting for my birthday to get the 36" sniper. I wanted the prospector, but it seems to me that the sniper was created to be the perfect sluice in my opinion. It'll handle it all, and it's packable and lighter to clean out and carry. It's also at the exact length I would like. Not sure what else you could possibly need in a sluice?

Thank you for your response. Makes even more sense now to go for the sniper, but also reassuring that the mini will handle what I have for it until then.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For you guys trying to catch that flour gold...This was a little project that I put together specifically to be able to mine a little material in the draws that had dried up in the summer.

You could process a 5 gallon bucket of screened material in about 15 minutes if I remember right. I was using a scoop to feed it.

I mixed in a half once of flour gold, pickers and nuggets and ran the material through as a test. The only gold it lost was the big nuggets, they would just roll out. The fine gold - I could hardly get it out of the "riffles" when it came time to clean up. I'd say it was catching close to 100% of what was going through it, within the first 10" of the pipe. This picture was taken after I had run 3 or 4 buckets of very dirty clay/native soil through it.
I also ran straight river gravel through it and it seemed to work OK that way as well.
It was pretty cheap to put together.

I ended up using it to run crevice material rather than panning. It was proof of concept more than anything.
View attachment 1295075 View attachment 1295076

Thanks for this. That is interesting. I'm looking forward to having a homemade setup as well, to test/recheck my material.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look closely...
Poop tube --> tailings basket -->Silt basket -->"dirty side" of the water tank --> through filter to "clean" side of water tank -->1250 GPH 12 volt sump pump --> Poop tube

I used air conditioner filter material sandwiched between hog wire for a filter, but could not get a good seal between the largest tank and the filter.
No sand or tailings made it into the clean side, just some floating organic material.

I was throwing the very worst material I could imagine through this thing and it worked just fine.

There are only a couple drawbacks to using the poop tube.
1.) Limited capacity
2.) Large nuggets will roll through
3.) Can fill up quickly with black sand if you are in an area with lots of that type of concentrate material.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poop Tube

I would say that tube would catch everything in the picture, but it was especially efficient catching the fine gold (in the upper portion of the picture).

When I say that large nuggets would roll out - I mean nuggets not the pickers that are shown.

It actually would work well cleaning up concentrates from a sluice box.

It's not how expensive your equipment is or how much material you can run - it's how good your dirt is.

gold2.jpg

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that tube would catch everything in the picture, but it was especially efficient catching the fine gold (in the upper portion of the picture).

When I say that large nuggets would roll out - I mean nuggets not the pickers that are shown.

It actually would work well cleaning up concentrates from a sluice box.

It's not how expensive your equipment is or how much material you can run - it's how good your dirt is.

View attachment 1295171

Looks to me like you have yourself a perfect setup over there. I'm just starting off, but am quickly seeing the benefits of all different types of equipment for different applications.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, it does help to have different tools.

That set up ended up rotting in the sun, but I proved to myself that you could easily process low quantities of material in a desert if you wanted to.
I did find about 20 grains of gold in the bottom of a creek that had almost dried completely up. Just took the poop tube, pump and battery.

My dad has had good luck using the Gold Cube to capture really fine flour gold. Again, you have to have decent material otherwise the capacity isn't there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread