Sluice to Power sluice

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently purchased the Angus Mackirk Eureka sluice and have used it a handful of times in the field. I've had some great success with it. I have been doing a lot of research and as much as I'd like to purchase a more advanced setup funds are a bit tight at the moment. With that said I'd like to build a power (recirculating) sluice out of it to use for processing material at home. Some locations that I like to prospect in don't have enough of a water flow to use the sluice properly so I'd like the option of being able to use it with a pump and/or to focus on collecting more material from the field and then processing it at home.

1. Is it possible/practical to do so?
2. What size (GPH) pump would be ideal?
3. How do I determine the correct pitch of the sluice for this specific application?

Any additional comments, suggestions, advice, etc...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yup, can be done pretty easily. PVC is cheap and light weight, so I'd use that for the stand. for a pump, IMO, you can never have too much power, you never know when you might need it, so go with (2)ea 2000GPH Johnson bilge pumps and use those. Its what I use on my highbanker and it's plenty of flow for my 72"x10" set up. Makesure you have a way to spread the water out evenly, maybe using a rubber flap to flatten and spread out the water, so it flows over the entire sluice evenly and doesnt blow out one side or the other. You can find a ton of ideas on you-tube or even on here of others that have built PVC stands for their sluices.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I try to run my power sluice as flat as possible, I angle up as necessary to keep material flowing along. My go to for low water spots is a rocker box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup, can be done pretty easily. PVC is cheap and light weight, so I'd use that for the stand. for a pump, IMO, you can never have too much power, you never know when you might need it, so go with (2)ea 2000GPH Johnson bilge pumps and use those. Its what I use on my highbanker and it's plenty of flow for my 72"x10" set up. Makesure you have a way to spread the water out evenly, maybe using a rubber flap to flatten and spread out the water, so it flows over the entire sluice evenly and doesnt blow out one side or the other. You can find a ton of ideas on you-tube or even on here of others that have built PVC stands for their sluices.

Ok, thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try to run my power sluice as flat as possible, I angle up as necessary to keep material flowing along. My go to for low water spots is a rocker box.

It sounds like the best way to go about it as far as the pitch is by trial and error. I'll work with it. Thanks for the reply.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For your pitch get a cheap angle finder. set up your sluice in the water set the angle finder across your riffles see what it says run your power sluice the same. I used emt for my stand little welding involved one end is adjustable for the angle. I can post some pics of it if you like.

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For your pitch get a cheap angle finder. set up your sluice in the water set the angle finder across your riffles see what it says run your power sluice the same. I used emt for my stand little welding involved one end is adjustable for the angle. I can post some pics of it if you like.
For sure, would love to see some pics. I've been looking around at a bunch of DIY stuff on YouTube and such. A lot of great ideas out there. The more the better.

Sluicedog

Jul 5, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Garrett Gold Stinger, Garrett XL500 Pulse, 2" Sub-Dredge,Goldsnare SGS-1, ELF detector, MFD w/electronic detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really liked this build from Brute Gold Miner or Bust by D'arcy,

I like this build. It looks like you can add these parts to most sluices and break up the clay balls and especially power sluice away from stream beds with necessary hose and pump combos. More of my equipment is using large 100 A/Hr batteries to run the 12 volt pumps. My GoldSnare SGS-1 sub dredge runs most of the day( on 12v) until I can't take anymore backache and i drag the 5 gallon pail up the bank with the heavies and move to camp.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    3 MB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread