Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this at my antique site. I haven't cleaned it yet. I have not tested it for silver yet either, but I am pretty sure it is based on how the other silver looks when I find it. I know these are not the best pics but I'm going to have wife take better ones after being cleaned.

IMG_0960.JPG IMG_0961.JPG

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tested it with nitric acid...it is silver. I cleaned it up pretty well. Anymore and I am afraid I will lose features. Wife took pictures as I am inept. It weighs .48g.

DSC_0133.JPG DSC_0132.JPG DSC_0134.JPG DSC_0135.JPG DSC_0136.JPG DSC_0137.JPG DSC_0138.JPG DSC_0139.JPG

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BCH,
I only had the shape to look at until more details might become visible. But now that the weight is known, I am more doubtful. This object's weight of .48 grams is just over half the weight of the smallest (of the 'early series') Carlos and Juana 1/4 real (at .85 grams). And while I now see (from additional pics) what might appear as part of a shield on the bottom pic, the early 1/4R coins of C and J had no shield--so I'm still stumped as to what it is.
Don......

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for looking Don. I'm sure I will find more silver at the site. Maybe one of them will have better features. It is a slow process because I have to sort through pounds and pounds of Aluminum. Probably dig 20 pieces of aluminum for every non Aluminum metal. IE...coins, lead, and rarely silver.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
BCH,
I only had the shape to look at until more details might become visible. But now that the weight is known, I am more doubtful. This object's weight of .48 grams is just over half the weight of the smallest (of the 'early series') Carlos and Juana 1/4 real (at .85 grams). And while I now see (from additional pics) what might appear as part of a shield on the bottom pic, the early 1/4R coins of C and J had no shield--so I'm still stumped as to what it is.
Don......
I know you are great with coins, but isnt it kinda thick for a cob? Maybe its just me but I think we need something in the picture for size reference because my mind looks at it as being too thick.

You have some good eyes if you see a shield.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It is paper thin...

gonna throw this in vinegar overnight and see what happens.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
BCH,
Imagine a coin weighing less than 1/5 the weight of a dime.
I can't see how it could be 'kinda thick for a cob'. Just saying........
Don....

Mack, you didnt know the weight when you made the comment that "it could be" a cob. Just sayin. I respect you Mack and geez I hope you dont take it personal.

There was nothing in the photo for size but now that we know its very tiny, I guess its possible to be a small or melted section of a cob. Its also possible to be many other things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Big Cypress will now be bowing out of my threads. I will post weights, nitric acid tests, and sizes to move forward in identifying these coins. Lets wait and see what tomorrow's clean up brings.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So it turns out the vinegar was a bad idea...memo to me. Case closed...

IMG_0982.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread