Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Found these silver coins and fragments over the last three years. They were found in known Spanish/Native American beach. Approx 19mm...I figured they would be near impossible to ID but BCH suggested I post them here. Sweet talked wife into taking good pictures.

DSC_0152.JPG DSC_0153.JPG DSC_0154.JPG

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin,
Curious and I have to ask, I would think with all these frags and worn pieces...that you should find at least 1 or 2 with some detail? is this not the case?
If you did find a few with some detail, can you post those?
Thanks,
Trez

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Crispin,
Curious and I have to ask, I would think with all these frags and worn pieces...that you should find at least 1 or 2 with some detail? is this not the case?
Thanks,
Trez
I dont think he knows what to look for, so I suggested he post them here.

I think he said they were all just a little larger than a US dime, ranging 18mm-20mm... with several different diameters. But I agree something for size is definitely needed in the photo and a US dime would do just fine. A US dime is 17.91 mm dia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_(United_States_coin)

I would say they are coins but what coin would be larger than a US dime found on a Florida beach?

I dont think they were in a fire. They look eaten by the waves to me. Im assuming they are pretty thin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crispin,
Thanks,
Trez

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any with features. The place where I am hunting has a very high sulfur content. This destroys just about any metal. Almost everything I find comes out jet black. Here are some studies that are being looked into.

http://www.dfrsolutions.com/uploads/publications/2007_10_silver_and_sulfur.pdf

http://www.chavant.com/new_site/files/pdf/HP_ImAg_Corrosion_Paper_ISTFA_20061.pdf

The effect of sulfur covalent bonding on the electronic shells of silver clusters

I know why the silver I pull out is devoid of features...It is maddeningly frustrating. I think I have found a couple different cobs...but they are so corroded there are no details.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Trez,

This is the best piece of silver I have with possible identification. I have tested it with nitric acid and potassium chromate solution but everybody keeps telling me it is a fire nugget or lead solder??? I have all these pieces to a puzzle but nothing to put it together yet. Thanks for you help.

IMG_0616 - Copy.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread