All Treasure Hunting
I always turn my gps off

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Squig I was talking about you! You need to Google up on what off the grid means... LOL

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like we have a different definition

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
off the grid is off the grid..... your either off or your on.... there is no other way :)

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think off the grid means you have no cell phone, your way off the mark..Ive lived this way for 24 years and Im not going to debate it with you!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK don't :)

I know people "off the grid"... no lights, no phones, no TV, not even a drivers license, don't pay taxes, pay cash for everything.... they are "off the grid"...

I am happy you like the way you are living.... great for you! :)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, the gov has not got me in a cell yet

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not to mention the pipe wrench that I beat at chess everytime

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK
I lean towards kinda off the grid.
I have a well, wood stove, generators, I can get......deer, elk, turkey, pheasant, quail...and many species of fish. I still want my computer and TV.
It is time to make my own beer, and build a still.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody wants to know what off the grid is, check the definition..off the grid you have access to computer tv etc, but not from the utility co

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do a red beer, not the hoppy junk

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody wants to know what off the grid is, check the definition..off the grid you have access to computer tv etc, but not from the utility co

so your phone isn't sprint, verizon, att or such?

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking about what powers THE HOUSE..we have no house phone..course guess I coukd get a tin can and retire

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey davest, not sure how "off the grid" you trying to go......
I guess there's homeless and broke "off the grid", and there's, just got fed up and have resources "off the grid".
My parents and my husband grew up "off the grid", but that was before there were even "grids", in some places. :laughing7:

The Foxfires are good resource books, for certain things. I got most of them, but missing a few volumes. Mother Earth news is good, too.
You got land? House? I'm figuring you may be partial to heat and/or a/c, refrigerator, hot water, lights.......

I was reading a real good thread in the gold prospectors forum, some of the guys were talking solar and electricity and stuffs. Some of them install and/or work in solar and electricity. Thought it might could give you some ideas.
Good luck, too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/441151-can-you-wire-bilge-pump-outlet.html

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nutcases called the city?

What tips can you share to become self sufficient and self reliant?

Thanks in advance.

davest,

The question is, is how off grid do you want to go? Do you want a simple back up system? Or do you want a completely self sufficient place that requires very little, if anything from the outside world. If you want little to no resources from the outside world, be prepared to make a few sacrifices. Like no TV, no internet, no running to the market everyday, etc.

With the recent additions to our "hunting cabin (mostly bedrooms)", it is approaching 3000 square feet, but it is completely "off grid". IT IS NOT CHEAP.

Solar electric with generator backup, some wind turbines, half a dozen forklift batteries for storage (with 12 more sitting without acid for backups), 10,000 gallon in cisterns for rainwater collection with UV purification. Most lighting is 12 volt to eliminate the need for expensive inverters. Heat is geothermal with wood backup.

Fruit cellar hammered 75' back into a mountain side through solid rock for food storage (being a miner has it's advantages). Temps stay around 50 degrees year round. All meat is smoked and cured. Did I mention that living completely off grid isn't easy?

Here's something that will keep you and many others busy for awhile. Remember living off grid means you waste nothing.

How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions