davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If and when I do go off the grid, it's not going to be a totally rough it situation. Yes, I still like running water and electricity. I just wondered how many folks on the forum have gotten away from the "city" and pretty much don't see others for a while unless they choose to.

Currently I live in what some would call the best weather in Florida but the city is slowly turning into Philadelphia and I'm tired of hearing sirens 24/7. I need a break and have enough to be fairly comfortable on a fair size piece of property a few states north of here so I turn my thoughts to raising chickens, goats, rabbits and pulling back.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my situation is what your speaking of.
The nice thing about being off grid with a well and your own power source, is that you can buy a larger piece of property at a more resonable price, then hire a solar person to set the system up for you..

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can check out alternative energy at REAL GOODS online..they were the first suppliers

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not in the least worried about that

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like some are hardcore off the grid and then there will be me.
I am going to go "Off the Grid" so to speak. Going to travel in Class A towing my car. Set up in LT campgrounds and seek camp host jobs and prospecting to cover expenses which will allow me to save for a chunk of property in Northern Cali. or Alaska. LT sites can be had for under $500.00 a season and with campsite host job that is all covered. I want a computer, could live without bothersome phone, I hate cell phones almost as much as I used to hate the dreaded "Beeper". There has to be something better than the 24/7 sirens and neighbors fighting all night.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always interested and monitor developments as I can. Solar has come a long way since the seventies, but it is lightyears behind technology. I keep expecting a breakthrough, but there may be an invisible impediment to it?

Any way, a store near me that I am always looking at. Solar panels usually price/watt of electricity generated. ( Volts X Amps = Watts? ) What is a standard fridge, 13 amps? 120 volts? approximately 1600 watts maybe? The cost of panels looks to average about 65 cents a watt looks like around 1000$,?

I don't know for sure, there may be conversion factors from DC to AC that I am not accounting for, ( besides a building for the batteries and inverter).

But didn't some of the old timers use 12 volt systems when trying to get power when the grid was in it's infancy? (Wind mills mostly I think?)

Good Luck!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A tractor can be rigged with an alternator, even a small gang of them. A push mower engine can drive one too.

Wind generating, some sights are great some not so, a windmill or similar turbine that is air driven has to have a way to stop or reduce speed when wind strength reaches a certain point. Lots to browse on the web. If you want to experiment research wise check out treadmill motor use for a home build. Somewhere there are a bunch of unwanted treadmills with low miles cheap or free,l.o.l..
I abandon experiments years ago using an alternator and mounting it on a snow blower. Was going to put a industrial fan blade on it. Built tower for it and used it to support wood stove stack and needed to make a brake to stop blades in high wind. A charge controller needed to be acquired and had not when I left but the alternator was not the way to go, too inefficient and high speed dependent for starters ,compared to a permanent magnet DC motor.
DIY Wind Turbine Components

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody interested, just call Real Goods in Ca..they will give you any info you need..catalog as well!

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! I like that rc :)

Top Member Reactions