Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TT

Huh! A parody...?

And here's me thinking it was based on a politician's memoir or a senior administrator's....it is not very far from the truth!:laughing7:

IUK (my new abbreviation courtesy of the Don

IUK,,,,lol!
I really enjoyed it!...
By the way have you checked another TV series called "detectorists"? It is about THs looking for a treasure..it is an ongoing series....on real news ,Viking hoard discoveries in UK seems to continue from what I see on the news...maybe it might be a good idea to put the areas of such discoveries (say of the last 100 years) on a map and see if some kind of pattern emerges ...that may give ideas to look in some new directions and areas....

TT

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not seen that particular show, TT.

There has been a good amount of Viking, Roman and Bronze Age hoards being discovered. The areas of settlements is generally well known and there is a biggish club/community of detectorists, who meet and go looking for such treasures. To be honest the chances are purely down to luck that all that time ago during some period of upheaval, someone decided to bury their valuables for safe keeping.

How did things go with you and the Italian adventure?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amy

You have misspelled my name but I believe you referred to me for the Bulgarian treasure map decryption . The map is low resolution and i can't read all the words . I went to the map's site but they have the map in the same condition . If you can obtain a high resolution map I would try just for fun and practice .
Also , is hard to believe how a band of Haiduti hid a treasure and made a map of it . The mission of the Haitudi was to rob the rich and to help the poor . They didn't need money because were an outlaw band and they couldn't go freely to the town or village to buy whatever they needed .They ate and were dressed for free by the " poor " .
I believe the treasure is not Haiduti's but Ottoman's . The map has a mix of Masonic ( the lines and the triangles ) and Spanish ( the " sun " symbol with the watching eye ) characteristics .

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not seen that particular show, TT.

There has been a good amount of Viking, Roman and Bronze Age hoards being discovered. The areas of settlements is generally well known and there is a biggish club/community of detectorists, who meet and go looking for such treasures. To be honest the chances are purely down to luck that all that time ago during some period of upheaval, someone decided to bury their valuables for safe keeping.

How did things go with you and the Italian adventure?

Okay IPUK,,,,
Nothing new in my case.. This past year after April 2014 I was just reading and compiling TH stories by country ,,,nothing new except armchair stuff including Fenn's poem..I didn't travel except a quick survey of one coastal town of Portugal by the name of Nazre after being tipped byCrow,,,and that is almost a year ago!

TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sounds interesting - compiling stories by their countries of origin. That old Birdy would have given you a lead which has prospects, because I know that they do not deal in fables.

If you had to pick, which, if any, treasure story/legend has captivated you?

IUP

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sounds interesting - compiling stories by their countries of origin. That old Birdy would have given you a lead which has prospects, because I know that they do not deal in fables.

If you had to pick, which, if any, treasure story/legend has captivated you?

IUP

IUP,,,,yeah it was a nice piece of info which also motivated me to look on other TH stories in Portugal in 2015..here was the old news about a pirate trove...could he worth checking the rocky beaches again,,,,
18 Jun 1907 - PIRATES' HOARD IN PORTUGAL. - Trove

Many TH stories have impressed me this past year..I like the Alaric story though it is remotely high ended to personally involve...but on practical terms I was checking war related stories of Europe to locate lost and hidden "military chests" full of silver/gold coins,,,especially in napoleoen times...there are bits here and there on such stories...I researched on the military chest with 32 thousand Portuguese silver coins that was supposedly buried when the French General Soult retreated from Porto from the advancing Duke of Wellington forces,,,in one old traveller's journal the legend persisted for decades in Porto about such buried chest on the way to the Valongo mountains from Porto...but on closer reading other historical accounts I discovered that the retreating forces actually set ablaze the heavy chest along with ammunitions..:(..
But such kind of stories about miitary chests being hastily buried can be found here and there..maybe you can be lucky to find some real docs..

TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read that attached article, TT, and it's definitely an interesting one. There are many instances of pillaged treasure being cached in submerged or partially submerged caverns, as the old pirates and buccaneers were great friends with the sea and were usually very familiar with all such hiding places through necessity.

The angle of looking into retreating armies and groups who were in the middle of uncertain times, is a good un. Desperate times called for desperate measures and in many instances, fortunes were hastily disposed of. I have read and come across many accounts of valuables being found many years (in some instances hundreds of years), after the event had taken place and the lucky finder had discovered the site almost like the unfortunate soul who had placed the goods there.

But for peeps like us, it will be a hard slog to crack a major 'one' because the old proverb is true: you need a fortune to find a fortune.

IUK

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, Mexico, while not your center of interest, is loaded due the almost constant reveloutions and uprisings since Cortez.

During the major mining era. Here in Alamos, due to the rampart banditry, the mule trains of the products of the mines were gradually sent with larger and larger no's for protection. I have records of mule trains of up to !,000 mules.

Not all mule trains were so large, bu it indicates the scope of the poduction of the mines and thievery, so they eventually turned to the sea, but even here they were frustrated because the pirates then flocked to the west coast in far larger no's than in the Caribbean..

In one case The Laureanos, every small ranch owner , loafer etc was a member of the band.

there were thousands of members. They would bury their weapons in greased hides until the signal was given for the next assault, dig up their weapons and go at it. They were wiped out by a full scale military expedition,

Then of course in the almost constant rev. , the leaders added to their war chests ( and personal funds) in every town they came to or mine., the LLuvia de oro of which I was part owner once, 'but not in that time', contrary to what you may think - was almost constantly hit for it's Gold and dynamite.

Then most of Mexico did not have banks, so the owners of the enormus Haciendas hid their money. Since females were considered not quite up to resasonable standards of intelligence, they were not intrusted with the information, many a wife found herself without the funds to run the Haciendas.

Numerous lost ines abound, I myself have found Three, -- but due to lack of pesona resources and financing have been unable to do anything with them - including offering them to major's.

Incidentaly, that is the difference with the unholy Tr - Quartet, and most treasure unters, they had their initial financing ready from tte Dead Horse mine proceeds. The days of a lone rider, riding off into the nameles Barrancas, or the sunlset are gone, but the treasures remain., countless thousands. I may list / describe some of them here in the future

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read that attached article, TT, and it's definitely an interesting one. There are many instances of pillaged treasure being cached in submerged or partially submerged caverns, as the old pirates and buccaneers were great friends with the sea and were usually very familiar with all such hiding places through necessity.

The angle of looking into retreating armies and groups who were in the middle of uncertain times, is a good un. Desperate times called for desperate measures and in many instances, fortunes were hastily disposed of. I have read and come across many accounts of valuables being found many years (in some instances hundreds of years), after the event had taken place and the lucky finder had discovered the site almost like the unfortunate soul who had placed the goods there.

But for peeps like us, it will be a hard slog to crack a major 'one' because the old proverb is true: you need a fortune to find a fortune.

IUK

IPUK ,,,Yeah,,by the way nazare is a resort beach town,,you can plan a vacation there...the place I suspect while I was there( and based on another old newspaper clipping I read )should be the rocky areas at the far right end of the beach under a large cliff where on top sits another sister town to the beach town,,(Nazare actually is made of three towns and the beach part was the pirate 's hideout.),,,there are boulders and big rocks at the far right part of the beach and it was here that people found washed out treasure,,so a little farther on the corner facing the sea should be the caves submerged or not,,,but it is not easily accessible,,one needs to get prepared to investigate it properly

As to Porto military chest actually Gen Soult initially offered his soldiers to help themselves with the silver,,but few took advantage and the desperate soldiers finally were ordered to burn everything..
TT

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, the mountains and barrancas of old Mexico have always held a deep fascination for me thanks to the Chiricahua Apache. One of the biggest mineralised areas in the world to boot. Those canyons and lonely valleys will have there many secrets for many more years me thinks. One particular story about a group of Spanish conquistadors who deserted an expedition into what is now the States (could have been one of Coronado's attempts to look for the mythical Cibola), and went gold hunting in the Mother Mountains. They found gold alright, they established a camp of sorts and traded with the locals. They stayed for some time and accumulated a fair amount of gold dust and pouches of nuggets. But before leaving they were attacked by Apaches and slaughtered. Bits and pieces of their equipment and supplies would turn up now and then...

Fascinating stuff!

TT, cheers for the info regarding the Portugal lead, I shall give that further study.

In my recent trips to India, I was made acutely aware of that country's love of gold. It is a voracious appetite they've got for the stuff, not recent but literally millenia old. That is what got the old cells working. There has been attempts by Indian citizens to smuggle gold into their country from Dubai, which incidentally has a huge gold industry in the hands of Indians as well. They would buy it duty free and try and conceal it on their person. Recent accounts involved some who lost their "bottle" and dumped their gold on the plane. One recent story showed some chap who dumped 4kgs of 24 carat gold in the toilet!
Gives a new meaning to flushing money down the pan!

Anyway, I met some folk who are wanting to invest in gold dredging operations based in north-western areas of South America. If I manage to facilitate it for them, i'll get a fee and a small percentage of the profit.

I do not think for a single moment it will be straightforward. But i am up for the challenge.

IUK

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 129312

gold-souk-dubai.gif 5[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• gold-souk-dubai.jpg
    gold-souk-dubai.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 121
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The souk where tens of millions of GBP, USD, Euros, Dinars and just about every other currency is used and traded to buy and sell the fever-inducing mineral...

IUK

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, the mountains and barrancas of old Mexico have always held a deep fascination for me thanks to the Chiricahua Apache. One of the biggest mineralised areas in the world to boot. Those canyons and lonely valleys will have there many secrets for many more years me thinks. One particular story about a group of Spanish conquistadors who deserted an expedition into what is now the States (could have been one of Coronado's attempts to look for the mythical Cibola), and went gold hunting in the Mother Mountains. They found gold alright, they established a camp of sorts and traded with the locals. They stayed for some time and accumulated a fair amount of gold dust and pouches of nuggets. But before leaving they were attacked by Apaches and slaughtered. Bits and pieces of their equipment and supplies would turn up now and then...

Fascinating stuff!

TT, cheers for the info regarding the Portugal lead, I shall give that further study.

In my recent trips to India, I was made acutely aware of that country's love of gold. It is a voracious appetite they've got for the stuff, not recent but literally millenia old. That is what got the old cells working. There has been attempts by Indian citizens to smuggle gold into their country from Dubai, which incidentally has a huge gold industry in the hands of Indians as well. They would buy it duty free and try and conceal it on their person. Recent accounts involved some who lost their "bottle" and dumped their gold on the plane. One recent story showed some chap who dumped 4kgs of 24 carat gold in the toilet!
Gives a new meaning to flushing money down the pan!

Anyway, I met some folk who are wanting to invest in gold dredging operations based in north-western areas of South America. If I manage to facilitate it for them, i'll get a fee and a small percentage of the profit.

I do not think for a single moment it will be straightforward. But i am up for the challenge.

IUK
IUK..thanks,,,I wish you success,,, while you are doing the gold trading ,you can also do TH enquiries in your travels..so 2 birds with one stone..
TT

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
But Senor Don Jose, my life is just a blur, and I have written it all on the back of a "Post -it " note, while yours is "A Master Piece".

And this is why I don't trust NP making the "Sock" Coffee.
2016-04-01 04_38_43-New notification.png

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IUK,,,what do you make of this site and treasure yarn compilation related to France?
The Lost Treasure of France

TT

Hi TT,

Sounds tempting, some of those stories, with gold, diamonds and doubloons just waiting to be discovered.....

But it is always difficult, time-consuming, resource depleting and in most cases, frustrating to research these stories and legends, because one-man bands like us will have to commit seriously to even scratch the service of these snippets. With French pirate treasure in the Indian Ocean, I believe "The Buzzard's" treasure legend (Olivier Levasseur) relating to the Seychelles islands is the most well-known (or notorious depending on one's viewpoint), and I am not sure anything was ever uncovered.

If the webpage is from Daryl Friesen's website, this chap sometimes posts on TreasureNet. I believe he is a Howard Jennings aficionado and is involved with looking at various things on Roatan Island off the coast of Honduras. Jennings wrote 'The Treasure Hunter' which is a good enough book and there has been many mentions of it on here. I discussed the chap and some of his discoveries with EL Crow. He was ambiguous about some of his alleged discoveries in the book but this is understandable. Apparently there was this English chap by the name of Frederick Mitchell Hodges who found two trunks of pirate treasure on Roatan in the 1930s but was forced to leave a third behind. Jennings searched for the third chest and I believe so has Friesen. I think that there was a treasure found in a submerged cave that had been secreted by pirates as they used the island as a base. Apparently the treasure was fastened to chains which had been used to drop the treasure into the cave. I have looked into Mitchell Hodges (he was also involved with the crystal skull 'discovery' in the Yucatan'), but this bloke was a bit of a self-publicist.

All of this still doesn't detract from the lure of those stories....8-)

IUK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread