Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Camp fire tale again: The rest of the kids story. I stopped at Van Horn at a small grocery store and got a Lb of Baloney, small jars of mayo and mustard, and a loaf of bread. Handed that to the boys in the back of the truck. ($3 ?) After Ozona, stopped for a car on the side of the road, saw man, woman, young girl, and young boy as I went past. Told the boys to go ask them what's wrong. They came back and told me they were out of gas. I handed them one of the 2.5 gas cans. They put it in and came back telling me that they were going to ride with them(as the daughter was about 17 and pretty, LOL). As I closed up the tool box and put the empty gas can in the truck as started to leave, they came running after me yelling. I stopped and they said, " The family wanted them to give them money to ride with them for gas", and they were both still broke.
They told me I sure was nice and trusting to give the family gas and stopping for the family and also for giving them a ride. 1) "I didn't know they were broke and wouldn't pay for the gas. 2) "Who said I trusted them or you?" and showed them my .22 pistol that was in my back pocket. "We didn't know you were armed!" "No reason for you to find out."
I think the dog calmed them down also. LOL

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clicked on the link above and it logged me off and I had to change my password to get back.

May have been my phone's fault but not sure.

Just thought best to let you all know, there may be a problem.

#/;0{> ~

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have had 4 "partners". The first was my older brother and for 24 years of vacations we drove and walked the deserts and hills and mountains of Arizona and New Mexico. Later I paired with a friend from San Antonio back we couldn't go out that much as his work had fewer vacation days than me at the time. The next 2 , I found out didn't have the endurance that I did, even though I was older than both of them. One was a guy I meet on line and when we got 1/2 to the area we needed to search, he couldn't make it as he had a heart condition that I didn't know about. The last was a nephew that even though he was 16 years younger petered out after hiking 3 miles up canyon and we had to go back, too many beers. I hope to try one more time this year with another friend, younger than me. Hoping to go in Oct. as it will be cooler in Southern Arizona at that time. The trick is to pace ones self and take breaks before your beat. I have found many "comfortable seats" while hiking. "Downed trees, nice sized rocks, even flat places to seat and lie down on". It is smarter to go slowly and watch your footing and the ground around you for surprises. Rocks that can roll when you step on them, cactus, snakes, and holes that can make you loose your footing. All of this becomes "second nature" over the years. Most of the "lookers" here know this in the back of their mind (at least I hope they do). Also looking for landmarks in front and behind you so you can better make the trip back. Always have something for Rain protection in then pack, even in Arizona, LOL Still remember hiking in and when we got to 7000 feet, the jet stream flipped and we were sleeted on the second week of May. Ah the cramps from cold muscles, and the wonderful descriptive words describing it on the way back. Went into town, rented a motel room and took turns in the hot shower getting rid of the chills and sore muscles. Yes, treasure hunting is a real adventure for those that seat at home and read about the stories from those "dumb enough" to go out and have the adventures. LOL

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Jose, thanks for the idea of just telling Camp Fire stories, and the place for passing of hard learned knowledge to others on the site. Weather telling hints about camping, hiking, or stories that have occurred when going out. It seems to me that it allows others to hopefully learn from our knowledge of being in the wilds. The old "Do as I say, not as I did".

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo's and Amigo-ettes,:hello: Whats the secret password?,Open says me, pretty burro,burro juice :coffee2:?,Only the nose knows,:read2::read2::whip2::whip2::whip2::whip2::whip2:,:hello:NP:cat:

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Audiggers stories bring one of mine to mind.....Back when I was a punk kid, (mid 1960's), I used to go with my father prospecting. I had just turned twelve, and all ready thought I knew everything there was to know, and then some. We would go down to his mines in the Circle Cliff country of southern Utah, ( too bad it is now the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument), and camp for 2 to 3 weeks, return home for a few days, and go back, (during the summers when there was no school). He would always beat it into my head to look for landmarks when I was hiking, so I could find my way back. He must have known I had to learn the hard way......
We arrived early one morning in what is called the "Onion Beds", a maze of white sandstone that covers many square miles. We got out of the truck, and he told me the usual..."Take water, look for landmarks, do you have a knife, blah, blah, blah...", in one ear and out the other. I hurried off to look for petrified wood, dinosaur fossils, or anything else that amused me at the time. I took no heed to what he had told me.

Seems good old dad was a lot craftier than I thought. As soon as I was out of sight, he moved the truck to a higher area that he could kind of keep an eye on me. A few hours passed, and I thought I would make my way back to the truck and have a sandwich...Lo and behold, when I arrived at where I thought the truck was, it was gone! This is when the panic started to set in....This went on for hours, until I was a blubbering mess of a 12 year old.....Out of the blue, there's dad, waiting on a rock..."Need a ride son?"
After that, I ALWAYS took landmarks on my way!

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An idiot boy, and a gun...

An idiot boys story of a gun.....

Ahhh...another lesson my dear old dad taught me...

Many of our friends and family would get together in the spring for the annual opening of fishing day in Utah. We were in a large camp, near Johnsons Reservoir, north of Fishlake. My friend and I had been out riding our tote-goats for the day, (an unusaul little motorcycle for those of you that aren't familiar). We were both 14 and tough as nails, (or so we thought). Seems between us two knuckleheads, we thought throwing rocks off a high point down to the out of sight Johnson Reservoir dam was a great idea! We stood there, heaving rocks of various sizes, until our arms tired....It was about this time that what should appear, but 3 men, late teens to early twenties, mad as hell! Seems the rocks had been peppering them while they fished below. My friend, Lloyd, jumped on his machine to make a getaway, and it fired right up! I, unfortunately did not have the same luck...There I stood, my friend just a cloud of dust heading down the road, facing 3 very angry, (and rightfully so), men.
I remember thinking as they beat me, "I am going to die here". Well, that didn't happen....I was all a mess when I rolled in to camp. "What happened to you?", my father inquired. "3 huge guys just beat me up for no reason", was my less than truthful reply. Dear old dad decided that we should go to thier camp, and I could fight them one at a time. I just couldn't win! I thought he and my returned Marine brother would handle the tough work, as I watched on. We found thier camp without much trouble, and as we stopped, one of the men stepped out of a tent.

This is where a mad 14 year old boy stopped thinking, and went on instinct....

My father always had a loaded 9MM under his seat that he had brought back from WWII. I grabbed the gun, unholstered it, and pointed...This is where I learned my lesson...
"Kill them", he said. "What?", I replied. "If you ever pull a gun on a man, you had better use it", he shouted. I remember crying, though I hate to admit it, but it taught me a valuable lesson...

If you pull a gun on someone, you had better be prepared to use it.

Bytheway, we made friends with the men and thier families. We actually camped with them a couple of times...

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OK now we go back in time, lol Hunting zones 38A and 38B were separated by the Gila River. #8A was open but 38B was not open there was 3 days between them. I went up to the butte on 38B to look over the area for opening day. There was a Game Warden there and when he saw me he said, "Come look at this." I looked where he was pointing with field glasses and there was a hunter , head down tracking a buck. "Look to the left". about 100 yards away in the brush was a buck. "Watch" As the man got closer the Buck stopped feeding and walked off. The deer lead him right to the river. The man saw the tracks go into the river and just shook his head. Then he looked across the river and the deer was just standing there looking at him. He suddenly lifted his rifle and shot the deer. Splashing across the river (about 3 inches deep there, he dragged the deer back across the river, and started dragging it out. The Warden said, "well there's 3 different ways out of there, and besides, I don't blame him." LOL He had tracked the deer for almost 3 miles to the river. I learned that it was almost safe to go out on the opening day only. By the second day the tourists that had never fired a rifle before were out and they would shoot without a backstop to catch the round if they missed. Learned the difference of a gun shooting at you versus sideways or away from you out hunting after opening day.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One more last hunting story. Went out to an area checking for javelin. Checked it out for 3 weeks before hunting season. The area had 6 packs from the big wash to where the car would be parked. Got there while it was dark. Parked the car on the back side of a cattle tank about 300 yards away from it. Walked to the Big Wash, about 2 miles and as it started to get daylight started walking back to the car following the wash. All the way back there were tracks with sand still falling into them. There was a mans tracks as will. We kept going figuring he had to see and shoot one and then we would pass him and get ours. When we got to the cattle tank, there was a car parked there near the edge with New York plates and a guy with an old box camera. He said to us, "Did you see any pigs? I wanted to get a picture of them." Out on opening day with a camera. LOL No we didn't shoot him, just told him it was illegal to park within 100 yards of a cattle tank as it would keep the animals from drinking. As we drove off it hit us and we started laughing. He never realized that the pigs could have attacked him and the only protection he had was a camera.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BTW on the road from Ruby to Arivacca, the game warden we ran into in 1982, told us we had missed the tarantula migration. We they migrate, the entire road is black with them. Never saw it and glad I didn't.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Another way to have an interesting time: Be up at 8000 feet and see the clouds solid above you at about 10,000 feet and hear lightening while your wearing a backpack with a metal frame.
One of the fastest miles without running, I have traveled to get back to the truck to throw the backpack into the back of the truck and leave.

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo's and Amigo-ettes,:coffee2:,I remember one particular night in the mnts after making a fire, I went to gather more fire wood when I noticed all these different colored lights in the sky, I made my way back to camp and started cooking some chicken lips and a$$ holes,you know, some hot dogs, before long three aliens:alien::alien::alien:showed up ,I invited them comfort around my fire, and share some burro juice:coffee2: and some food,one of the aliens popped off and said what is this crap, I looked at the other two aliens and said who the hell is this guy,I have never seen him before in my life, how rood he was.:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::hello:NP:cat:

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you may have a need for ths some day. NP. now yer cookng for alienns??? Hmmmm I knew that the buro juie would get to you someay, Ill stick to regular sock coffe.

Formulae for determining meatl %.jpg

Attachments

• .Solution.jpg
    .Solution.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Amigo's and Amigo-ettes,:coffee2:,I remember one particular night in the mnts after making a fire, I went to gather more fire wood when I noticed all these different colored lights in the sky, I made my way back to camp and started cooking some chicken lips and a$$ holes,you know, some hot dogs, before long three aliens:alien::alien::alien:showed up ,I invited them comfort around my fire, and share some burro juice:coffee2: and some food,one of the aliens popped off and said what is this crap, I looked at the other two aliens and said who the hell is this guy,I have never seen him before in my life, how rood he was.:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::hello:NP:cat:

Tube steak! A veritable feast, actual meat! You eat well in camp eh amigo? :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread