Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that case then cash would have made more sense to me. The gold would be awfully heavy to try to take as baggage. IMO. Way over the 25 to 50 Lb limit for the US airlines. And Southwest doesn't fly down there. ;)

Good points, lol. :laughing7:

But apparently he wasn't traveling when they got him. And according to my sources, he has not yet been charged with anything. They are just holding him till they find out where the gold came from and if he has a legal claim to it. Hmmm. Picked up at a residence holding 62 grams of cocaine, 600,000 in silver Bolivian coin, and 1.5 million in gold bars......and all they seem concerned about is where the gold came from? Strange, that.

Hmmmmm....where DID that gold come from? :icon_scratch:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU,you posted --------with a bunch of people that just go hiking or climbing mountains for fun.

They clearly differtiate on that.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OK, after going 1200 feet in 15 minutes, then tromping along (thought I was beat, wrong) came to a spot where it was almost straight down or climb up. I went up an easy slope to a dirt embankment. Walked along the birm next to the dirt wall until it stopped at a 40 foot drop off. Turned and went down a ridge that flattened out and just brush at the end of it, couldn't see what was past the brush. So I slant cut down the ridge and stepped into the wash. It was sand and my foot dug in and I went spread eagle into the sand of the wash. Got up and went across to the other side and walked with a drop off about 30 feet to my right. Went down into a ravine, forced myself to climb the other side and went down a second one. Forced myself (made myself mad) to climb that one and at the top went down into a 3rd ravine. Now I am really making myself mad to keep going. Climb up that slope, broke through some brush and stepped off an 8 foot embankment.
Slid down it with my backside and back against the dirt and landed on another dirt birm at the bottom of the 8 feet. Let go of 2 braches that I don't remember grabbing and looked down a 70 degree slope with large rocks and cactus at the bottom about 30 feet below. Turned and started running to keep elevation. When I finally got to where it flattened out I stopped about 6 feet from a 6 foot ravine. Turned and started walking out of the little valley into the main canyon. Went over a ridge and the ground started sloping down. As it got really steep, grabbed a tree limb and kept my feet under my as I slid down. At the bottom it was flat and I had let go to the tree brach that went backwards behind me. Staggered 3 feet forward and was standing on the trail out. As I was standing there my brother came up the trail and said, "Oh there you are. Come on we need to get back to the car." We followed the trail for about 100 feet and at a flat I saw a nice comfortable spot under a pine tree and just laid down.
"You go ahead, I'll come after I wake up." He told me he had never seen me that worn out on our trips before. & Years before I could show him where I had topped out in the valley.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU, I ain't following you anywhere!

I'd rather take my chances trying to get along with a bear.

#/80o

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That was the first trip into that little valley. My brother didn't follow me very often either. I followed him a lot more. We did have talks about him being shorter and ducking under things I had to climb over and places I stepped over, he had to crawl under. LOL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
AU, I ain't following you anywhere!

I'd rather take my chances trying to get along with a bear.

#/80o

LOL :laughing7: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Most bears are not SO difficult to get along with anyway - ask Beth about standing on top of one, rather than attack it simply ran off.

Don Jose thank you for clarifying that about the costly dinner for the Explorers Club - a dinner to raise funds, not just to be pretentious. That makes much more sense and is honorable. However their rule about no commercial enterprise being involved in your explorations, would definitely throw me OUT of their organization and likely would never be invited to join! Not saying anything wrong with exploration for the sake of exploration (and knowledge) and if I were independently wealthy, I might even try that myself, but until that independently wealthy part is fulfilled I can't afford to go off hunting for Atlantis or Paititi etc.

Please do continue amigos,
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose, you mentioned the Smithsonian.

My dad has a small display, with his name listed as discoverer.

Dad was a CID detective and traveled to West Texas on vacation to help his brother in law working clearing top layer of sand from a pipeline right of way.

While walking the survey flags when he saw what looked like a round stone with a hole in it. When he got close to it he had everyone else to stay back.
Those investigating skills kicked in...
He stuck his finger in the hole and he knew that it was hollow, so he used his finger to move sand away from the skull.
Then he called the local Sheriff to report a murder.

It turned out to be a "prehistoric homiside", a local college cleared enough to know that they couldn't match it and in turn called the Smithsonian, and they took possession of the skeleton and took it home with them.

In the end the local news paper gave the story to the first page and spelled his name right.
The job boss told Dad if he saw any more, to bury them deep.

He had set the job back almost two weeks and lost them over eighty thousand bucks.

Kinda took the wind right out of his sails.

#};0("•••

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, after going 1200 feet in 15 minutes, then tromping along (thought I was beat, wrong) came to a spot where it was almost straight down or climb up. I went up an easy slope to a dirt embankment. Walked along the birm next to the dirt wall until it stopped at a 40 foot drop off. Turned and went down a ridge that flattened out and just brush at the end of it, couldn't see what was past the brush. So I slant cut down the ridge and stepped into the wash. It was sand and my foot dug in and I went spread eagle into the sand of the wash. Got up and went across to the other side and walked with a drop off about 30 feet to my right. Went down into a ravine, forced myself to climb the other side and went down a second one. Forced myself (made myself mad) to climb that one and at the top went down into a 3rd ravine. Now I am really making myself mad to keep going. Climb up that slope, broke through some brush and stepped off an 8 foot embankment.
Slid down it with my backside and back against the dirt and landed on another dirt birm at the bottom of the 8 feet. Let go of 2 braches that I don't remember grabbing and looked down a 70 degree slope with large rocks and cactus at the bottom about 30 feet below. Turned and started running to keep elevation. When I finally got to where it flattened out I stopped about 6 feet from a 6 foot ravine. Turned and started walking out of the little valley into the main canyon. Went over a ridge FYand the ground started sloping down. As it got really steep, grabbed a tree limb and kept my feet under my as I slid down. At the bottom it was flat and I had let go to the tree brach that went backwards behind me. Staggered 3 feet forward and was standing on the trail out. As I was standing there my brother came up the trail and said, "Oh there you are. Come on we need to get back to the car." We followed the trail for about 100 feet and at a flat I saw a nice comfortable spot under a pine tree and just laid down.
"You go ahead, I'll come after I wake up." He told me he had never seen me that worn out on our trips before. & Years before I could show him where I had topped out in the valley.

Well, on the bright side ; at least you were not retrieving a goat , in the dark there.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH YEAH, I WILL BE MEASURING ALL OF THE MEASUREMENTS WITH A SPANISH BURGOS LAW VARA TAPE AND STAFF. THE BURGOS LAW SENT THE MEASUREMENTS FOR THE VARA TO THE NEW WORLD TO KEEP EVERYTHING REGULATED. EACH VARA HAD THREE FEET CALLED PIES... EACH PIE HAD 16 DEDOS (FINGER WIDTHS) THESE MEASUREMENTS ADD UP VERY CLOSE TO THE MEASUREMENTS MADE WITH PULGATTOS WHICH WAS THE THUMB'S WIDTH. THE PROBLEM WITH THEM IS THAT THERE TOO MANY DIFFERENT DEFINITIONS FOR THE WIDTH OF THE THUMB. I WILL HAVE TO LOOK UP THE WEB SITE THAT EXPLAINS THIS, BUT THERE IS NOT ENOUGH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO TO ARGUE ABOUT. ( ABOUT THE THICKNESS OF A THUMBNAIL PER PIE.

WEB PAGE IS:
drbronsontours.com/bronsonspanishmeasurements.html

I MADE A STAFF TO MATCH THE MEASUREMENTS AND ADDED A RIBBON TAPE AND MOUNTED IT ON AN OLDER FLY FISHING REEL, FOR EASE OF USE. I'LL TRY TO POST THE PICS IF I CAN FIND THEM THIS LATE AT NIGHT. View attachment 981598

, View attachment 981599 HANDY AS A ROPE AT A HANGIN'!

MIKEL
#/;0)~
:thumb_up::3barsgold::hello2:

I hope this works, I've never tried to quote from a different thread before.

Sorry, this was not the thread that I was trying to transfer this to.

I'll leave it up since it has already been read by now. I still use this info from
Dr Bronson's site, as it predates many other attempts that I have used and is much simpler.

#/;0>~

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
About the Dark. We started out carrying battery lanterns in the back pack. Too heavy for carrying all day. Went to D cell flash lights, then C cell flashlights, finally went to AA cell flashlights, Durabeam, with Halogen bulbs. 4 &1/2 hours with Duracell batteries, from fresh to about dead. Carried 2 of them and spare batteries so we could see to put in new batteries. Dropped one coming out and after bouncing 2 shelves down it was still on, so I climbed down and got it.
Can't buy them now, everything is LEDs.
In the mountains if there is no moon out, it is almost as dark as inside a cave or mine at night. Can't see your hand in front of your face.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU, you dn't remember the rolled tin flashlights ?? I remember when I bought one of the mag lights, what a difference. i stilll have one, bt it s never turned on since a lil $!,00 mini today casts more light.I also had one of those thre cell flashlights with a a 2 cell addition, zave a terrific light for those days I remember one night -- Dit please leave the forum, not for your delicate ears.-- We were on river patrol looking for Illegals , when we heard a slight commotion on a small bluff. We crept up then both turned on our lights. They illuminated a man standing behind a Ewe apparently attempting to push her over the clff. There was a frzoen silence for several seconds then we turned off the flash light for a bit. When we turned them on again He was sauntering off Nonchaleny=tly with his hamds in his pockete, We never said anything, At that time Animals laws were more strict than for human females. Nice flashlight .:laughing7::censored:

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dit didn't leave.....!

I knew it as soon as you said"Dit, leave the forum for a bit!!" Ha ha ha!

That's like saying "put your fingers in your ears, Ma. I smashed my finger with a hammer and I'm going to say that word that you hate",

#/;0{>~

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
AU, you dn't remember the rolled tin flashlights ?? I remember when I bought one of the mag lights, what a difference. i stilll have one, bt it s never turned on since a lil $!,00 mini today casts more light.I also had one of those thre cell flashlights with a a 2 cell addition, zave a terrific light for those days I remember one night -- Dit please leave the forum, not for your delicate ears.-- We were on river patrol looking for Illegals , when we heard a slight commotion on a small bluff. We crept up then both turned on our lights. They illuminated a man standing behind a Ewe apparently attempting to push her over the clff. There was a frzoen silence for several seconds then we turned off the flash light for a bit. When we turned them on again He was sauntering off Nonchaleny=tly with his hamds in his pockete, We never said anything, At that time Animals laws were more strict than for human females. Nice flashlight .:laughing7::censored:

Hmm are you sure you were not in Montana, where the cowboys wear boots and the sheep are scared? :tongue3: :laughing7: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I won't get much chance to post for a while, may be able to pop in tomorrow for a bit, but if anyone wants a reply from me, please allow a few weeks? Nothing wrong, just won't have internet access. Thanks in advance, and keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dit didn't leave.....!

I knew it as soon as you said"Dit, leave the forum for a bit!!" Ha ha ha!

That's like saying "put your fingers in your ears, Ma. I smashed my finger with a hammer and I'm going to say that word that you hate",

#/;0{>~

Pffft! I din't see nuthin'..... had a ride to catch. :tongue3:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buen viaje, mis amigos Oro, Beth, say hi to that obstinate caracter out by the lake, he'll prob be at the LDM Junta with the remainder of my poor beat up steak, oh yes, before I forget, also to that sasq, lover ( very poor taste ):laughing7::laughing7:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nah, and frankly he's too hairy, hate singed hair in my teeth. Prefer tender, hairless long mary rump roast..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread