Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
oro, well I located el Naranjal on the Tayopa concession would that be theirs also?

I do not know Mexico's mining law well enough to say, but would suspect that yes it is theirs if on the same concession. Of course it is entirely possible that El Naranjal is not located on that same concession too, and could require a search etc to locate and claim it.

:coffee2::coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know Mexico's mining law well enough to say, but would suspect that yes it is theirs if on the same concession. Of course it is entirely possible that El Naranjal is not located on that same concession too, and could require a search etc to locate and claim it.

:coffee2::coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Maybe you are ready to do that research and claim?

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
courtesy of Old Buckaroo
Report Finding of "Lost Tayopa.”

It was confidently expected that the particulars of the reported finding of the famous "Lost Tayopa" mine of fabulous wealth could be given in this issue of The Enterprise, but it cannot for lack of those particulars and to give what is known would be a violation of confidence. Three particulars can be given and they are: the discovery at present believed to be "Lost Tayopa" is on the federal mineral concession of Colonel W. O. Greene and that it was not found in the Guaynopa district; also it is a Chihuahua business man whose prospectors have made the reputed discovery and he is awaiting the return of Col. Greene and will no doubt take the matter up with him when he arrives here next week. ~ Chihuahua Enterprise

The Border Vidette (Nogales, Santa Cruz County, Arizona) 6 June 1908 [No. 23.]
------- o0o -------

Even Cattle Not Immune.

Thomas Sexton, who resides in the Yaqui delta, at Ontagota, relates an amusing story that goes to show how superstitious are some of the natives of the country. The circumstance related occurred some years ago, when Mr. Sexton was engaged in mining in the Sierra Madre. He was travelling through the mountains, and had occasion to stop several days at a ranche [sic] owned by a wealthy native. In Mr. Sexton's outfit were a number of fine rifles, with which the ranche owner was much taken, expressing himself as greatly desirous of owning one. Incidentally the native gentleman imparted to Mr. Sexton the information that he knew the exact location of lost Tayopa mine, one famous in antigua days as very rich and productive. Upon receiving that information Mr. Sexton said: "If you will show me the Tayopa I will give you one of those rifles and one thousand rounds of ammunition."

"I dare not do it" was the reply. "Should I do so I would die."

But finally the gentleman, so anxious was he to possess the rifle, ciphered out a way in which he could have Mr. Sexton led to the mine and evade the penalty that tradition had taught would be visited upon all endeavoring to point out the long lost mine. Said he: "I have sent for my cow, and she will be brought in tonight; but her calf is tied out where she comes from. In the morning I will turn her out, and you follow her back to the calf."

"All right," replied Mr. Sexton, “and if I find the Tayopa I will give you the rifle.”

“Oh, but I am not showing you the Tayopa,” quickly replied the gentleman, in real alarm.

The next morning the cow was released and started in a hurry to go to her calf, with Mr. Sexton following her closely. After leading him over several miles of rough and precipitous country the cow fell over a precipice and broke her neck, dying in a few minutes. Mr. Sexton returned to the hacienda and reported the loss to the owner.

"Ah!, por Dios," exclaimed the disconsolate gentleman, "One cannot send even a cow to show the Tayopa without her losing her life."

And that was as close as Mr. Sexton came to finding the lost Tayopa mine.

The Oasis, “An Authority on Mines and Mining” (Arizola, Ariz.) 7 September 1907 [Second Series. Vol. IX., No. 18. Whole No. 747]

------- o0o -------

Notes of the Mines.

A report comes from Neuva Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Mexico, that the famous lost "Tayopa" mine, known for its richness in gold and silver, has been found in the Guaynopa region on the land of Colonel William C. Greene and upon the land be holds for his Greene Gold-Silver company, with an extensive federal concession to locate any and all minerals. Tradition and legion have thrown around "Lost Tayopa" a halo of romance, coming down from antigua days. Part of the story is that there is $10,000,000 worth of bullion buried there. The location of "Tayopa" has been hunted for years past.

New York Tribune (New York, N.Y.) 18 June 1908 [Vol. LXVIII - No. 22,495]

LOST TAYOPA MINE IS REPORTED TO BE FOUND - Los Angeles Herald (Los Angeles, California) 23 June 1908 [Vol. XXXV. Number 265]
The San Francisco Call (San Francisco, California) 23 June 1908 (Volume CIV. — No. 23.)
------ o0o ------

Jesuits Hunting Burled Treasure.

A Chihuahua, Mexico, dispatch says: In the towns- and villages of the Sierra Madre mountains in western Chihuahua there have been appearing from time to time Spanish Jesuit priests and it is believed by people from those sections that part at least of their aim is a search for the buried treasure of vice regal days and later when their order was powerful in the land.

These priests have been coming in to the old mining towns and villages one and two at a time and locating. In one little village of eight or ten families near the famous old mining town of Uruachic in the very heart of the Sierra Madres, there are four Jesuit priests, and they are building a church. In the town of Ocampo, one of the priests put a new iron roof on an old church and improved it.

It appears that the reason why the people think that these priests are after buried treasure is that those ancient mining towns and villages teem with legends of buried treasure and most of these stories are connected with the Catholic church, especially with the Jesuits, whose mining operations in their palmy days in Mexico were on a most extensive scale. The order is said to have very extensive records of their work religiously and otherwise in Mexico stored in Salamanca, Spain. The records of the “Lost Tayopa” with its fabulously rich silver mines and its millions of treasure located somewhere near the ancient trail from the city of Chihuahua to Sonora and near the line of those two states, is said to be in the possession of the Jesuits in their old field from which they had been absent for so many years is beginning to arouse much curiosity.
Mohave County Miner (Kingman, Arizona — Library of Congress cites Mineral Park — A.T.) 22 August 1908 [Vol. XXVI. No. 47]

------- o0o -------

A group of ancient mines believed to be the “Lost Tayopa” have been discovered in the Sierra Madres in a remote part of the state of Chihuahua. The discovery was made by an Indian, who made his secret known to Capt. Joaquin Chavez, a resident of the section. Chavez and others have visited the property and obtained samples of ore from the old workings which run high in gold and silver. The mines are surrounded by the ruins of a town.

The Sun (New York, New York) 15 March 1909 [Vol. LXXVI. — No. 196

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buenas dias mis amigos. I was just informed by the VA that I have a slight touch of cancer on my Pancreas looks like I'll have to drag out my bottles of Cesium Chloride again. 17 years ago I cured myself of terminal neck cancer with this. Can't let this keep us from celebrating my 150 birthday .

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buenas dias mis amigos. I was just informed by the VA that I have a slight touch of cancer on my Pancreas looks like I'll have to drag out my bottles of Cesium Chloride again. 17 years ago I cured myself of terminal neck cancer with this. Can't let this keep us from celebrating my 150 birthday .

I'm sad to hear about your Pancreas issue. I hope your drugs will work well and you will overtake it. You are a strong man who used to fight many obstacles in his life and i believe will don't scare you another one.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

I am sorry to hear this. I don't doubt that you will lick the cancer again though, and am already working on my suit for your 150th birthday party.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks gentlemen. back to stories

Long story.....

The sun dies every day some place.
Some place there is no more dying.
Meanwhile , our ration of life is by the second. As it always has been.

Hang in there Trampe!
Don't mind the sand in the hourglass.. It's the egg timer bears watching.( If you got eggs.:laughing7:)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My oldest sister passed recently after too much cancer too long.
She held out till after Dad passed.
A career nurse , she stayed home at the end.

Her son thought she was delirious in her bed when what might have been her last words were , " Look a hummingbird".
Till he looked out the window.

We side tracked a few minutes to hit a place with produce ect. on the trip to visit.
I'd had the nagging feeling that day mattered when the following day was supposed to be the next visit.
But it was the few minutes delay that made the difference of her passing unexpectedly before my arrival.
Meant to be maybe.

I was halfway to visiting Dad when he died too.
Not that I wasn't visiting them pretty regular. But timing is a funny thing sometimes.

Did make it on time for a couple births though.....Noisy affairs .:o
One time a Dr. almost had to slap me and throw me out of the room. But I quieted down.

Even made it on time for my own birth.
That Dr. did slap me.
And according to Mother I responded by peeing on him.
To which he replied "dryly" , but with a knowing laugh ; "Congrats. It's a boy."

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday all

Regardless of what may or may not happen to Don Jose. I know our esteemed friend don Amigo will always as always be a shining light and example for all of us on our own life's journey. Could we expect no different than some one who spent a live time defying the odds, to lead by example. I wish ya good health don Jose.

Now as per Don Amigo's wishes I have a yarn for ya.

So grab a coffee and pull up a pew.....around the campfire.....

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday all lovers of treasure yarns Grab a brew and enjoy the following yarn amigo's

Ya know treasure hunters amigo are a despised lot of misfits like mercenaries and privateers all walking the tightrope between good and evil. While damned if they do and damned if the don't. Hated, mistrusted and despised by archeologists and historians who virtue signal their virtues which they plunder graves in the name of science conceals the fact they are grave robbing no different than the ones they despise. Yet here we are there are treasure hunters still lurking the four corners of the earth amigo. Some are good at what they do, others not so good.

The following person was one such treasure hunter and very good. Not just good but very good. He even posted a few posts many years ago at treasurenet. The trio came across him a few times in South America and south east Asia.

There was never a man that had so much hunger and drive seeking treasure amigo. Yet he was prepared to push himself beyond the of most peoples limits. He was multi lingual German Spanish english and Indonesian.

He was obsessive researcher hunting historical references to treasure be it on land or under the ocean.

While there is a claim by academics and powers to be that there has only been one pirate ship ever discovered and excavated is not true. Although some internet website still make that claim. Yet amigos it is far from the truth.

Why? Well authorities who are caught up in an age virtue signaling will never acknowledge or support anyone out side archeological and academic circles regardless of what amazing discovery they make.

You virtually become the pariah.

And it was so with the person in question in my following yarn amigos.

Coffee?

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Klaus as German born in 1938. He became a stray child left over from chaos and destruction on Nazi Germany in WW2. Poverty after WW2 was in terrible conditions after the water. I suppose born into death destruction as child and surviving it makes people have a hunger and drive survive. Klaus was one such person saddled with guilt of a destructive war he was child in. So in his passion to escape the horrors of the past created the hunger amigos.

The hunger amigos is what drives treasure hunters......

Klaus turned up researching many lost treasures around the world especially in South America and south East Asia. While even with best of research there was no guarantees of success in life. Failure walks hand in hand with success like ying and yang. But where people shine is in the persistence.....

Persistence Persistence Persistence.....while continued failure over time can be frustrating yet dame fortune can shine when you least expect it.

Klaus found documents pertaining to British ship The "Forbes", Captain Frazer Sinclair, sailed from Calcutta bound to the Eastward on a trading voyage with a cargo of opium, piece goods and iron; returning home laden with a profit to a considerable amount about 2 A.M then going at the rate of 5 knots, she struck on a reef of rocks at the Southern entrance of the straits of Billiton, latitude 3° 40' South, together with a Dutch brig which had been taken as prize during the voyage.

She was from Batavia bound to Sourabaya with a cargo of wine, gin, arrack &... The boats were immediately hoisted out, and every endeavour made to get the ship off, but unfortunately without any effect, as in about 2 hours after, the stern went down in 5 fathoms; finding every attempt to save either the vessel or cargo fruitless.

The crew with 5 Javanese taken from the brig were divided into three boats: Captain Sinclair, Mr. Robert Sharp, 4th mate and 11 of the crew of the pinnace, after undergoing the greatest distress from want of water and provisions under a scorching sun, without an awning or anything to cover them, fell in with the General Baird, Captain John Harford, eight days after leaving the wreck who supplied them with everything requisite for their further progress to Malacca.

However he never had the capital to search and recover such treasure as he discovered references to two gold chests and 1.5 tons of silver Spanish pieces of 8.

With no backers no one even interested to even listen to his proposal he persuaded a German real estate developer
Martin Wenzel prepared to put 3 million into search for the Forbes. In their search they found by chance a Chinese junk full of porcelain. Yet their goals was the Forbes.

But the persistence pays off amigo in 2009 they hit the jack pot.
and found more than 1.5 tonnes of silver coins, gold jewellery, crystal, Chinese porcelain, cannon, muskets and 400 bottles of wine were recovered by the treasure hunters from the Forbes, a ship that ran aground between Borneo and Sumatra in 1806....

In the picture below Klaus is in the far left of the picture and
Martin Wenzel is in far right below. Klaus was 71 years old until he finally hit the jackpot.

treasure_1453060c.jpg

However at the time they was able to negotiate a deal with the Indonesian authorities 50/50 deal. The recovered an estimated 12 million. It did not got without problems even with agreements in place. Academics and archeologists made a fuss about the ethics of deal. They started rumor that Klaus spirited more out of country robbing the Indonesia government of their equal share that promoted authorities to raid the warehouse. Nothing was proved....But when mud is thrown mud sticks and the Indonesian government would not renew any more deals with them in which they had identified a shipwreck with 2 tons gold. Today that mystery wreck has been kept secret because no deal can be made.

I believe Klaus has now since passed away a few years ago amigos so the secret of the other shipwreck remains a legend.

Knowing how astute Klaus was with his research I have no doubt somewhere there is a shipwreck with about 100 million wrecked in Indonesian waters.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday all

But it was not the only secret. He uncovered a letter from a Captain Munoz, Sargent of Perafan Ribera, Governor and general captain of Cost Rica in 1610. Telling of buried looted gold and giving directions to the location. Klaus tried to get some interested parties together but it never eventuated.

However the trio looked into it a little deeper and it appears a promising project to develop. However amigos you can only have so many fingers in the pie.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Bill.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]From a letter of father Agustin Ceballos, Granada, Nicaragua, March 10, 1610[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]AGI (Seville), Section Panama, bundle 17.

Unfortunately the letter give an archaic weight measurement "Draws"?

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Draw weight is the amount of force needed to pull a bow, and it's measured in pounds. Recurves and longbows have incrementally heavier draw weights the farther they're pulled. The standard for determining their draw weight is taken at 28 inches ofdraw length

Crow
[/FONT]

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
and this is a letter perfect example of the difficulty to do research, you have given the document's location

do you have more info?

edit: the word in old Spanish perhaps?
but the location is the thing

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
and this is a letter perfect example of the difficulty to do research, you have given the document's location

do you have more info?

Indeed I do. I estimate that the value of the gold is about 1.6 million based at today's gold prices.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread