In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
TT, you better have cast iron shorts when dealing with Ortega and crew
worse to deal with than Noriega

and CR would never pay

Gidday Bill one of my associates spent over 12 months in jail over an issue in CR. Did his time in San Lucas Prison Island. That was in the early 80's

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
that will take the fun right out of the hunt
can only observe that the 'flexibility' of old is long gone

I do not think the flexibility was ever there amigo. Even long ago,

As Trio have always said never leave yourself open to any possible incrimination. today ya have a digital generation that wants to be a you tube tv star and a treasure hunter. You cannot be both. Best be invisible a willowisp. A non enity

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So you see amigo fairly ordinary people can and do make amazing discoveries on occasion. The trouble is the academic world is full of of self righteous narcissists who loves to preach to the masses virtue signaling. So when an ordinary person makes a discovery they take affront.

But this is in every aspect of society.....

Even with sport.

Classic example was "Eddie the eagle" professional athletes hated him as he stole the limelight in the winter Olympics. The whole orginal concept of the Olympic movement ordinary people having a go? Yet it became an elite sporting event to politically brag which country is the best. So they invented a law to stop ordinary people having a go. Why once again elitism.

So amigos it not so surprising that when ordinary people make an effort they will be shut out of the "academic club" when any such discoveries are made.

Crow

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you see amigo fairly ordinary people can and do make amazing discoveries on occasion. The trouble is the academic world is full of of self righteous narcissists who loves to preach to the masses virtue signaling. So when an ordinary person makes a discovery they take affront.

But this is in every aspect of society.....

Even with sport.

Classic example was "Eddie the eagle" professional athletes hated him as he stole the limelight in the winter Olympics. The whole orginal concept of the Olympic movement ordinary people having a go? Yet it became an elite sporting event to politically brag which country is the best. So they invented a law to stop ordinary people having a go. Why once again elitism.

So amigos it not so surprising that when ordinary people make an effort they will be shut out of the "academic club" when any such discoveries are made.

Crow

You hit the nail right on the head Crow...I really do wonder IF my little Tia Juana had anything to do with The Kimberley Process conception...That is IF I really did find a paragon diamond in Reno many years ago...We may never really know...Seeing that nobody ever reported finding any such diamond in Reno...

Maybe one day I'll return to Reno...But sadly the odds are against me...

Ed T

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I do not think the flexibility was ever there amigo. Even long ago,

As Trio have always said never leave yourself open to any possible incrimination. today ya have a digital generation that wants to be a you tube tv star and a treasure hunter. You cannot be both. Best be invisible a willowisp. A non enity

Crow

saw your edit, indeed I was referring to the '80s - your associate had inadequate representation

was in a bar with 25 rented pĂłliza down south and that Nobel winning grifter Arias was on the tube ranting about police corruption, I looked at the guys I was with and they looked at me - and we all burst out laughing,
oltra cervesa

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
saw your edit, indeed I was referring to the '80s - your associate had inadequate representation

was in a bar with 25 rented pĂłliza down south and that Nobel winning grifter Arias was on the tube ranting about police corruption, I looked at the guys I was with and they looked at me - and we all burst out laughing,
oltra cervesa

Ah I recall it was deal that turned sour....

The government at time had to make an example of some one. And that some one refused to pay bribe money. So a little more complex. Christopher Weston was being hounded to hand over all the antiquities he had found and salvaged over the years and my associate got made an example of.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There are treasures out there amigo that very few even know of their existence.

These stories and even some major crimes fly under the radar. One greatest heists in history is hardly even known as there was very little coverage of incident at the time. Authorities and countries involved and even the bank itself virtually kept quiet. The story has become a myth a legend in itself. None of proceeds have ever turned up. It just vanished and to make it more spectacular no one is saying anything.

Or are there?

Gather around with a brew my fellow pirates I have a yarn of fortune and glory for ya. The perfect crime.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
To this day, the story behind the record-setting, mysterious bank heist that took place in Beirut decades ago still baffles all who study its impossible execution. The infamous heist of the 1976 British Bank of the Middle East is regarded as one of the biggest bank heists in history, and one of the most intriguing robberies ever, and here’s why.

It was 1976, the atrocious Lebanese Civil War had recently entered its 9th month, and the capital was split into East and West Beirut. Each side of the combatants was holding one side of the ravaged city, forming a demarcation line, called the Green Line, in between them, stretching from north to south.

Beirut’s financial center lay in the midst of the Green Line, and so did a bank that was worth around $300 million (about $2 billion in today’s terms); the British Bank of the Middle East (BBME).
The unguarded goods caught the attention of a group of robbers, who took advantage of the continuous fighting around the bank’s area to break into it and plunder its precious holdings.

The bank, which was located in Bab Idriss, shared a wall with a Catholic church. The robbers took advantage of this weak point and breached a hole through that wall, gaining quick access into the bank.

British-Bank-of-The-Middle-East-after-the-heist.jpg

The heist was an outright military operation, in which the perpetrators fired 60mm mortar shells at the combatants of both sides to ignite the battlefield and create the perfect distraction for their plan.
Around 4 hours after entering the bank, the eight heavily-armed men successfully created a second hole through the massive, steel-reinforced vault inside the bank, where all the booty was stored. The group then loaded several vehicles with millions of dollars in stolen cash, jewels, stocks, and hundreds of 99.99%-pure, 12.5 kg gold bars. The robbers took what they took, drove away, and disappeared, seemingly forever.

Until this day, not one of the perpetrators has been caught, and none of the bank’s stolen assets have been recovered. The Beirut BBME heist remains the world’s biggest-ever bank robbery, according to Guinness World Records.
It also remains one of the most controversial and obscure bank heists in the world. This is because the robbers were unidentifiable individually and also anonymous as a group.

Also, not much is really known about its details because of the chaotic period in which it took place. There are several different versions of the story, each of which points fingers at different groups and organizations in Lebanon and abroad.

But no knows for sure what exactly happened except those involved? And like the gold the gems money a jewels they are like ghosts amigo.

Phantoms ghost lost behind smoke and mirrors with no daring enough to uncover the truth.

Crow

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Crow , if anyone asks about your whereabouts 1/20/76 during a vigorous interrogation.. You can say you were with me. (For a small fee:laughing7:.)

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
While the most popular account of the story deems the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) responsible, and even the elite British Special Air Service (SAS) were blamed for the heist, but that remains speculations as there’s no conclusive evidence to charge any of them.

The-British-Bank-of-the-Middle-East 2 large.jpg

What’s worth pointing out here is the fact that gaining access to that bank’s vault using explosives, without killing the robbers or obliterating the safe and its contents, is not at all as easy as it sounds.

The successful breach that led the group into the bank’s safe was undoubtedly orchestrated and performed by professionals who knew their way around both explosive devices and reinforced walls.

However one would wonder who would have the resources and capacity go into a war torn country start a firefight and used the mortar exchange as for cover for blowing into a bank? Having vehicles at the ready and the capacity to spirit such a large heavy commodity like gold out of country?

Logistics is mind blowing?

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions