Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good modification. The magnet should not hurt your detector. My guess is it will just be detected as any other metal by your detector. I would only use a magnet strong enough to grab the items you want. This would keep the weight down and limit the effects if any on the detector.

Ed Donovan

G

Ground Squirrel

If you mount a magnet, I recommend that you do it in a way that makes the magnet easy to clean.

An idea that comes to mind is to epoxy the magnet to the end of a section of fiberglass rod (arrow shaft), pass the rod through a hole in a PVC pipe cap and put the cap onto a section of pipe large enough to allow the magnet to slide up and down the pipe. Make the pipe long enough to hold in your hand with 1/2 the pipe still exposed and cap the other end. When you grip the pipe and pull on the rod, the magnet will slide up the pipe and most of the junk stuck to the outside of the pipe will fall off, the rest will slide up the outside of the pipe until it reaches your hand and then as the magnet continues up the pipe, that junk will also fall off.

If you don't "demark" between the magnet and the junk, your magnet will quickly start to look like a sea urchin and will lose it's effectiveness... requiring you to pick the tiny filings off with your fingers. Messy and dangerous... sharp little rusty things in your skin... ouch!

GS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread