Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Has anyone use an IR camera to find treasure? If you don't want to post outright on here you can PM me. I have been looking at the RazorIR handheld unit. Anyone know much about using these or any other IR cameras??

A quick bit of advice. Forget it! Infrared waves are 1 micrometer to 1 millemeter.Way to short to penetrate the ground so all you get with the camera is surface heat reflections, not treasure down below. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coy, if you believe in LRLs then you can easily believe that IR will detect buried treasure. In fact, you can believe durn near anything, and that thread pointed to by auferret is a perfect example of people wanting to believe it works, and doing everything they can to prop up those beliefs.

But I think you're on the right track, forget trying to modify a standard digital camera and continuously wondering whether the fact you never find treasure is because you did something wrong. Go whole-hog and buy the RazIR, then when you can't find treasure you'll know it's because IR doesn't work that way, and you'll have the benefit of being able to sell an otherwise useful device and get most of your money back.

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone use an IR camera to find treasure? If you don't want to post outright on here you can PM me. I have been looking at the RazorIR handheld unit. Anyone know much about using these or any other IR cameras??

edittttt

Last edited:

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
edittttt

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What makes you think buried treasure would be at a different temperature than everything else in the ground?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also interested in using IR cameras for treasure hunting. But not to indicate the treasure itself, but covered shaft openings. I am hopeful some tests I am performing this summer will tell me if that is actually feasible or not.

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
xxxxx

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I want to do is detect the variations in surface ground temps where voids are located beneath the surface.

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
xxxxxxx

Last edited:

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
edittttt

Last edited:

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
edittt

Last edited:

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
edittt

Last edited:

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
edittttt

Last edited:

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Yes I have used thermal image cameras (TICs) A LOT. Not for treasure hunting thought. We have them on the fire department to see in fire conditions to navigate houses and find bodies. No you will not find treasure like in that link. They only see the surface temperate that's it, literally just the surface. Anything in the ground will not show up unless it is sitting uncovered on top of the ground which will cause the sun to heat it at a different rate and show up. But then what's the point. Anything in the ground will be the same temperature as the material surrounding it. Also think of it this way, take a quarter put it in the bottom of a bucket and fill it with dirt. Do you think if touch the surface it will be a different temperature directly above the coin.

Here's a fun fact that might give you an idea. If you have someone stand the other side of a glass window and you try to look at them through a tic you don't see them at all. Thats because it's looking at the surface of the glass not through it. Kinda crazy the first time you try it.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having use thermal sights for several years there is some things you can see. You can see old trails, and also areas where the ground has been disturbed. I can think of a few other areas you could use a thermal camera to look for treasure. Use it at night after the sun has went down. They are expensive. Im not sure you will be able to tget the quality of camera you would need to do that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions