Relic Hunting

ATGoldGuy

Mar 12, 2013
Heath, OH
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% Deet is the only thing I have found that truly works.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother used to put citronella oil on us never got bit but I have not been able to find it.

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deet.

Found in most bug repellent sprays. Higher percentages usually more effective. I use the "deep woods" version. Makes my skin burn a bit but I'm the guy who is getting bit when nobody else is having a problem. I assume its because I kill bugs for a living so they are out for revenge. I've heard decent reviews on thermacell but that product has its limitations. Moving around and breezes are going to reduce effectiveness. Maybe good when your relaxing in the hammock but not moving about.

You can also try permanon, you spray that on your clothes the night before and not on skin. I'd go with the Off though, best bet

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using off deep Woods for quite awhile & it would last for a while sometimes I would have to reapply & I still may get bit once in a while just hear & there now im usin all terrain herbal armor deet free whole family can use it I have never used such a repellent this is unbeleivable works great & would recommend it to anyone

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey not making u use it but y would I just make stories up off deep Woods worked good for me but this honestly works better they dont even come near me if u dont think it will work dont use it ya know im just goin with what the title said in askin what works & this does

OP
OP
ezer19

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Omega 8000 10'' / 12x13 NEL
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Will try a product with "DEET"

Products with DEET (tested from WHO) should be have the best results. I ordered one and will test it on my next hunt. Will write a short review about it.
Wikipedia:
"
DEET was historically believed to work by blocking insect olfactory receptors for 1-octen-3-ol, a volatile substance that is contained in human sweat and breath. The prevailing theory was that DEET effectively "blinds" the insect's senses so that the biting/feeding instinct is not triggered by humans or other animals which produce these chemicals. DEET does not appear to affect the insect's ability to smell carbon dioxide, as had been suspected earlier.[4][5]
However, more recent evidence shows that DEET serves as a true repellent in that mosquitoes intensely dislike the smell of the chemical repellent.[6] A type of olfactory receptor neuron in special antennal sensilla of mosquitoes that is activated by DEET, as well as other known insect repellents such as eucalyptol, linalool, and thujone, has been identified. Moreover, in a behavioral test, DEET had a strong repellent activity in the absence of body odor attractants such as 1-octen-3-ol, lactic acid, or carbon dioxide. Female and male mosquitoes showed the same response.[7][8]
A recent structural study has revealed that DEET binds to Anopheles gambiae Odorant binding protein 1 (AgamOBP1) with high shape complementarity, suggesting that AgamOBP1 is a molecular target of DEET and perhaps other repellents.[9]
A 2013 study suggests that mosquitoes can at least temporarily overcome or adapt to the repellant effect of DEET after an initial exposure, representing a non-genetic behavioral change.[10] This observation, if verified, has significant implications for how repellant effectiveness should be assessed."

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

ATGoldGuy

Mar 12, 2013
Heath, OH
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not use DEET on your skin. Apply it to a bandana or the cuffs of your shirt and pants instead. Also, it will melt plastics so do not get it on your hands and then touch your machine. Always apply to something else and keep it off your skin.

OP
OP
ezer19

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Omega 8000 10'' / 12x13 NEL
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Icaridin - tested yesterday evening on my back porch. Absolute FAIL. Seconds after use mosquitos starts massive attacks :(

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get eaten alive and have tried everything there is.. This year I've been using the Bug Patch and I've had great results! The best thing is that its 100% DEET Free and works with Vitamin B-1. You put on a patch about 1-2 hours before you plan on needing protection... The Vitamin B-1 (and some other junk) absorbs into your skin and makes you less delicious to all bugs, not just Mosquitos. Each patch protects for up to 36 hours... 1 packet contains 6 patches an they can be kinda spendy but there's a bunch on eBay for a fraction of the cost.. I think you can get like 60 patches for $10 and they probably retail for quite a bit more than that.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Repel bug spray. It is 40% deet and works better than Off deep woods. Can be found at Walmart for about four bucks. The natural stuff...well it just doesn't work. You can try Swordsman old fashioned bug dope, it stinks bad and its natural but it just doesn't work.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a land surveyor that has to be in the woods, and not always when I want to. Here's my post from another thread about ticks:

Yup, Permethrin kills the little buggers before they can latch on to you.

Never did figure out how DEET keeps them from biting, but I don't believe it. DEET works for skeeters, though.

Permethrin on clothing does work for clothes (and I use it on my hair as well). Never been bit by horse flies, deer flies, or stable flies (look like house flies but hurt like heck).

They land, they die. Think of it as doing your part for biology.
grin.gif

Don't forget about chiggers; these nasty little cruds are miserable to get rid of, actually burrowing under your skin to torment you for weeks. Permethrin gets them before they dig in.

I've been in the river bottom woods when mosquitoes were so ravenous that we had to apply 100% DEET every 10 minutes to keep sane. I've actually watched my permethrin-treated clothes; mosquitoes will land, but they won't bite. Then they will fly off and die.

Summing up: Permethrin on clothes, covering as much of you as you can stand. DEET on exposed skin.

Everything else is not as effective, or an outright fraud.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ezer - I am from Minnesota and Mosquitos are our State Bird - None of those bug repellants work........The secret to mosquito control is one thing and one thing only...............

Buy an underwater detector and get scuba certified - after 25 years of detecting, i found this to be the only solution to the mosquito problem!!!!!!!!!

Have Fun and Good Luck out there!

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not use DEET on your skin. Apply it to a bandana or the cuffs of your shirt and pants instead. Also, it will melt plastics so do not get it on your hands and then touch your machine. Always apply to something else and keep it off your skin.

Yah right. I might as well just live in a plastic bubble then. I'm a certified applicator licensed in Georgia and I've been killing bugs long enough. The skeeters here (Aedes egypti, Anopheles quadrimacaltus, Culex pipiens) are going to laugh at you and crawl away because their bellies will be too full to fly.

If I don't take a bath in the crap they will find a patch of skin somewhere that doesn't have Off on it and that's where they will bite. Not saying it won't cause skin irritation in some individuals but mosquitoes also cause irritation. Not to mention the many illnesses they vector.

Someone pass the deet, time to reapply.

I'm game to try anything new so in no way am I discrediting the herbal armor the previous poster suggested. I'd like to buy/try it if I can find it.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah right. I might as well just live in a plastic bubble then. I'm a certified applicator licensed in Georgia and I've been killing bugs long enough. The skeeters here (Aedes egypti, Anopheles quadrimacaltus, Culex pipiens) are going to laugh at you and crawl away because their bellies will be too full to fly.

If I don't take a bath in the crap they will find a patch of skin somewhere that doesn't have Off on it and that's where they will bite. Not saying it won't cause skin irritation in some individuals but mosquitoes also cause irritation. Not to mention the many illnesses they vector.

Someone pass the deet, time to reapply.

I'm game to try anything new so in no way am I discrediting the herbal armor the previous poster suggested. I'd like to buy/try it if I can find it.

I got it at a local target & im not bs in anyone not one bite

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In reality, this conversation can go on as long as a "my detector works better than yours" debate...

What works for one person will NOT work for another. There are so many factors at hand... Our diets play a big factor in whether we are attractive to bugs as well... I go out in the woods with my girlfriend and get eaten alive even though I put on tons of spray yet she doesn't use any protection and doesn't even see any. Even when you do use protection it won't work the same for one person as it will on another... It's much like perfume or cologne which react to a persons body chemistry and smell a bit different on everyone that wears it... Similar yes, but different. It's an endless argument.

As I stated earlier, the Bug Patch has worked very well for me this year so I'll be sticking with that for now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread