Noticed Pin Point mode better than standard for searching?

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries OBN. Carl may have some input on your desire for depth. I'll chuck my two cents in though~

When one considers depth for a detector you'll pretty much always have to change the size of your detectors coil. Increased sensitivity and good ground balance are essential for what ever mode of operation your in but its the physical characteristics of the coil that drive depth.
One way to visualize this is to consider what I and Carl have said in this, and what you understand, : Detectors will only give a target response if the field of the detector interacts with the target strongly enough for the receiver circuits *this includes the RX portion of the coil* to create a target response and ; emissions from a radio source expand indefinitely from the transmitter.

The visualization is this : Consider the pattern a 4 inch bar magnet makes when you sprinkle iron shavings around it~ a circular oblong pattern. This pattern is similar to the output field of a transmitter *in only the most simple terms* now place a dime, a quarter and a half dollar in the center. These coins represent your coil and the magnetic field diagramed by the shavings your field. Your coil will only pick of a distortion of that field if its distorted far enough to interact with the edge of one of these coins. Move another magnet *your target* into that field and when the field distorts to the edge of the coin/coil you will have a response. A bigger magnet will distort the field at greater distance, a smaller one you will have to force in closer to distort the field so that your coins/coils will cover the area of distortion.

That's a very simplistic way to visualize how coils pick up targets and its an experiment you can do at home as well ;) The moral of the visualization is that your coins/coils will only really see what they can physically cover for the most part.

Your probably aware of it but there is a trade off as well when using larger coils for depth~ you'll tend to loose smaller targets. This is primarily due to the fact that because of the increased size of the RX portion of the coil electrical losses will occur and small targets wont be reactive enough to trigger a target response.
This attenuation, unfortunately, cant be avoided. The sensitivity control is what sets the level for target response but it generally can not be set to a level to fully compensate for the attenuation caused by larger coils without the detector becoming unsteady. Especially if there are other electrical interferences.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
No worries OBN. Carl may have some input on your desire for depth. I'll chuck my two cents in though~

Thanks DD, I am always looking for the edge (Just like everyone else). Seems I have pushed the Excalibur to it's limits at this point, but every so often I come up with a hopeful Idea. This old post still haunts me thinking there is more.. not on this forum but between
Wirechief
Eric Foster
wyndham
Re: method to measure PI signal strength in ground
Posted by: vlad
Date: July 21, 2007 04:59PM
There is an old maxim in Stereo that to double your audio volume you are increasing power output by 8X. The detector still sees the small deep target-you just don't hear it.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DD, I am always looking for the edge (Just like everyone else). Seems I have pushed the Excalibur to it's limits at this point, but every so often I come up with a hopeful Idea. This old post still haunts me thinking there is more.. not on this forum but between
Wirechief
Eric Foster
wyndham
Re: method to measure PI signal strength in ground
Posted by: vlad
Date: July 21, 2007 04:59PM
There is an old maxim in Stereo that to double your audio volume you are increasing power output by 8X. The detector still sees the small deep target-you just don't hear it.

I think there is absolutely something to this. To a certain limit that is, we have to be able to receive the audio. Im buying a Unity gain amplifier to try on my xterra 705 gold killer. I mean detector.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I know it works on the Excalibur in PP and a few of the Minelab PI machines, the thing is, on the machine you have to be able to separate the threshold from the target audio...many targets are covered by the threshold, and as you lower it, more are uncovered, you just can't hear them...unless you have a audio amp....
I pushed this a few years ago, never caught on...from this video you will see the need for a remote PP switch...also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread