Missouri Ozarks
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My stud finder never worked ..So I use a neodymium magnet and find the nails/screws.. Well now i use the TRX but the magnets do work very well.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
stud finder find the nails in the wood .. typically the wooden studs are about 2 foot apart in the walls ..

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
stud finder find the nails in the wood .. typically the wooden studs are about 2 foot apart in the walls ..

Typical code is 18 inches on center, not 18 inches apart......

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by non-metal junk?

I have a small band saw mill too, and besides nails, rocks and dirt are the only other things I watch out for, and they are normally on the outside.

OP
OP
O

olcus

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2015
Missouri Ozarks
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate it Oregon Viking. I went to the web site (possibly my new favorite site) and found it helpful. I'll be going there alot now I think... and not have to ask quite as many Q.s. And I like your tag definition of "Patriot"... recon that'd be me.
Gold Maven, WOODweb.com is an excellent site for sawyers and woodworkers. There are many forums like here. One discussion is on what sawyers have found (cut into) in logs. Coke bottles, a pouch of gold coins in California, a bear tooth on a neck chain etc... People mostly hide crap in the crotch and forget about it or die or somethin' and years later it's swallowed up and a sawyer ruins a blade... but as you advised, I won't sweat it.
airscapes... neodymium magnet... I'll go to wikipedia and find out what the heck that is. Thank you all.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
53171058.jpg

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A metal detector finds metal. So how does a "Stud Finder" find yellow pine studs behind sheet-rock? Would whatever principle involved be a modifiable way to find non-metal junk and crap in an Oak Log before I cut into it with my bandsaw-mill?

Ask my wife!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As Woof stated,they find the difference in density behind the sheet-rock.
Or plywood, ect.Also through roofing when finding rafters for solar panel installation.
Im an ex framer,16 centers on walls,with a standard 2-2x4 top plate.
2 foot if 2x6 double top plate.
2 foot an non bearing interior walls, and on rafters and ceiling joists.
At least in my county.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread