Minelab GPZ 7000 Metal Detector

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What would you use it for. The GPX and GPZ machines are specialized tools that are well "worth it," as treasure finders. Since you can afford an $8,000.00 machine, you need to make sure the dealer you buy it from offers a day of lessons in the field. These machines are complicated to set up properly if you go beyond factory pre-sets. They are heavy, the coils are expensive, and the extras are endless and costly.

Tell us what you want to hunt and where, and I'll try and help you choose a good machine! :skullflag:

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you use it for. The GPX and GPZ machines are specialized tools that are well "worth it," as treasure finders. Since you can afford an $8,000.00 machine, you need to make sure the dealer you buy it from offers a day of lessons in the field. These machines are complicated to set up properly if you go beyond factory pre-sets. They are heavy, the coils are expensive, and the extras are endless and costly.

Tell us what you want to hunt and where, and I'll try and help you choose a good machine! :skullflag:

Thanks for the response. I'm interested in hunting gold as the primary target ( go figure, right ? lol ). I really don't want to spend big money on the detector though. I would love something for $500-$800. Land and water. Something with an amazing ability to discern the difference between the objects under the coil. Any ideas?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett AT Gold. :occasion14:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have talked to several people who own one and they said it has turned their gold fields into new fields, finding gold nuggets much deeper than their other gold detectors.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold nuggets.....period. No single detector ever built yet can do a better allaround job finding these - tiny or large.

it is pretty much useless for anything else since it also finds every tiny bit of any metal you wave it over - no discrimination.

wish I had one.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently use the Zed and have had very good results with it. I use it in Australia as my work has kept me out of the deserts of the south west for some time. You can find a lot of information on Steve Herschbach's site as well as other prospecting detectors. For the money it depends on where your hunting, time your going to spend and various other factors. Be prepared to dig everything as dedicated gold units dont discriminate.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
My family has four of these, and recently we got a 19 used only a couple times and only paid 1200 CF for the 19.

we went from a 4500 to the Z. Had several great years of experience on the 4500. Got the Z about 11 months after they came out, only purchased one, within about 7 weeks it paid for its self in the Alps. During that time my wife and I had taken the 3 day course on it, then I got about 12 hours of hunting time on it and my wife racked up tons of hours in the following 7 weeks of owning it.

She said we needed to buy another one because she would not let me touch that one again. LOL

Purchased them for our times in Romania and Lapland, got the feel for it in the Alps, very small gold in the Alps, never found anything larger than 2.8 grams there.

Over time we got two more.

My brother in law only uses the Z19, he does this for a living though.

Now you can use these on the beach as well, I have watched my wife and brother use them. Works great for them, but I have no where near the amount of time my wife does on the machine, and will never have the hours my brother in law has on it. I use the CTX on the beach and that works great for me.

If you buy one of these then you need to take a course on how to, the machine will pay for its self really fast and if you are on good enough ground then you may have found your self a new job. But take a course or you will never fly with it. I learned more from my course and other users than I did on my own going through all the pubs.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fetcher - The GPZ 7000 is designed as a gold prospecting detector and is unequaled for "pure, raw horsepower"... it is THE go to machine for professional gold prospecting. Most often gold prospectors are working spots where any metallic object must be recovered, because only gold is in those areas. Many use the GPZ 7000 to find gold other machines will not hear. However, it does have its limitations.... for instance this is not the machine to use coin shooting. It has plenty of ability to see the coin, but does not discriminate what type of target is under the coil... a nail, pull tab, coin, jewelry, whatever you can think of that is metallic will equally sound good to the operator of a GPZ 7000. If its good discrimination you seek, there are a lot of other options available to you. Terry has one very good suggestion, but there are plenty of others that may be well suited for what you want to do. Give me a call if I can help.... I'm just one state north of you in PA.

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fetcher - The GPZ 7000 is designed as a gold prospecting detector and is unequaled for "pure, raw horsepower"... it is THE go to machine for professional gold prospecting. Most often gold prospectors are working spots where any metallic object must be recovered, because only gold is in those areas. Many use the GPZ 7000 to find gold other machines will not hear. However, it does have its limitations.... for instance this is not the machine to use coin shooting. It has plenty of ability to see the coin, but does not discriminate what type of target is under the coil... a nail, pull tab, coin, jewelry, whatever you can think of that is metallic will equally sound good to the operator of a GPZ 7000. If its good discrimination you seek, there are a lot of other options available to you. Terry has one very good suggestion, but there are plenty of others that may be well suited for what you want to do. Give me a call if I can help.... I'm just one state north of you in PA.

Thanks for the information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread