MineLab GPX 5000 Coil Mode

brianboru

Apr 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MineLab GPX 5000 has a coil selection setting for either mono or DD mode. The manual says either coil will run in the other mode. I was wondering if a DD coil running in mono mode would be as effective as the same size moo coil running in mono mode. Any idea?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is what John Porter told me. "I would not recommend using a DD coil in the Mono Coil/Rx mode with the Iron Reject option, it might seem like it works but there is a very REAL chance you'll leave good targets in the ground. Best bet is to revert back to the DD Coil/Rx mode and then check the target with the Iron Reject option (Try setting up a custom Search mode with Iron Reject already pre-selected to facilitate going from one Coil/Rx method to another)."

Double D coils can be run as Mono, but if you want to check how much stronger that signal is in mono flip the Coil/ RX button to Mono. The left side of the coil will be hot and see the target. Mono always runs deeper.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
B

brianboru

Apr 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know the iron reject function will not work in mono. What I am curious about is whether or not a DD coil running in mono is as sensitive as a straight mono coil.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. You'll always get better depth/sensitivity running a Mono coil. :occasion14:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread