Garrett GTI 2500 vs. Whites XLT

quicksilver

Apr 5, 2005
Wisconsin
Garrett GTI 2500 vs. White's XLT

I am looking to upgrade my detector repertoire and I would like to decide with Garrett's 2500 or White's XLT. I am primarily a coinshooter, jewelry seeker, relic hunter and token hunter (don't do much nugget hunting or water searching). I would like your thoughts on the strengths and/or weaknesses between these 2 detectors. They both seem very good, but I would like your input so I can make an informed decision. Thank you.

Matt

Wisconsin

C

cachehunter

Re: Garrett GTI 2500 vs. White's XLT

hi i have owned both and there both fine machines but i kept the Garrett for me it has the features i wanted i like the imageing plus the eagle eye capabiltes and for me it seemed to hunt a little deeper and the display is easy to see but you can't go wrong with either one

OP
OP
quicksilver

quicksilver

Apr 5, 2005
Wisconsin

Hey cachehunter!
Thank you for the valuable input. I was leaning toward the Garrett 2500 more after using the Ace 150 for a time. I like the features that tell me how big, how deep and the type of object located below the soil-line. Treasure awaits!!

Matt

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas

I went to the Garrett factory last week and checked out the 2500, as well as all the other detectors... Anyway, my opinion on the 2500 is this:

1. The first thing I noticed about the machine, it was rather heavy for what it looked like. It appeared that it would be a light machine, but after grabbing it from the wall I was surprised. 4.6 lbs, according to Garrett. But it doesn't say whether this is with batteries installed or not? ???

2. After turning the machine on it was evident that to use any of the advanced programs, I would need to go back to school for a refresher course on electronics and computers. Scrollling thru the programs and trying to figure out what does what was confusing. It apparently has a large learning curve.

3. I thought the images printed on the screen "cheapened" the quality of the detector. A machine as advanced (and expensive) as this should give the info digitally, in my opinion. Not by lining up a "cursor" under a printed picture...

4. Treasure Talk?? ::) OK, I guess if you like gadget's then this would be OK. My CXIII has treasure talk and it is ANNOYING as hell!!! >:( I guess if your blind, then this would be a good option, otherwise I think it's kind of ignorant... LOL

The pluses...

1: Extremely sensitive. This detector can detect extremely small (gold flakes) targets and at a respectable depth. Obviously the size of the target will be the final factor at the depth at which it can be detected. But I was impressed at the very small size it could detect, nonetheless.

2: The 2500 was balanced well. Although heavy, it was still balanced.

3: True size and depth graph. This would've saved me a lot of digging if the XLT had this option. If you're not familiar with it, this is what it does... I've received quarter readings on some targets and dig down some ten inches only to find an aluminum drink can. It seems the detector was only able to identify it as a quarter because of the size of the surface the EMF scanned was only the size of a quarter and the same or close conductivity. With the Garret true size and depth graph, I would've known it was a can by the indicator on the read-out, as it gives this indication on the screen.

4: The new searchcoils Garrett uses are deeper seeking than the White's. It's as if they are like the after market "Hothead" coils they sell to increase depth. I don't know if Hothead copils are available for Garretts latest models?

5: You can use the Treasure Hound deepseeking attachment with this machine and have a deep seeking detector without having to buy a new detector.

Now the XLT...

I've used this detector for a number of years and so has one of my t-hunting partners. And in all honesty, I don't have much bad to say about them... :-\

1. Weighing in at 4.0 lbs even (with batteries), the XLT is is lighter and very well balanced. Detecting with the XLT is like an extension of your arm. It is so comfortable... You get really good ground coverage from each sweep because of the way it fits to your arm.

2. The XLT has a large learning curve. After all the years I've used this I still don't know of everything it can do. Nor do I care to experiement with it... Sure nuff, I'd screw something up if I did... The preset programs are all I've needed to this day...

3. This detector displays it's "icons" ON the screen. It doesn't have a cursor that lines up with a picture thats glued on the housing. All the information about the target is displayed when you detct the target, except the depth, which is displayed in pinpoint mode. It also displays a "VDI" reading based on the scale of conductivity and size of target. This is very helpful in making the decision to dig or not.

4. The searchcoils for this detector are excellent. However, the Garrett detects deeper smaller targets. I've found targets as small as the back of an earring at 3-4" with no problems. The center of the coil is open, you can see where to dig without having to guess at where the center of the coil is.

5. The worst thing about this detector is you can't add a depth multiplier coil to it. To use White's deep seeking coil means you'd have to buy the White's deep seeking detector (the TM-808). And at $649 (factory price) that's not very feasible.

Now, I don't know how much Garrett charges for rechargeable batteries, but White's charges $49.95 for ONE set of rechargeables for the XLT... Extremely expensive in my opinion... You can obviously find them cheaper at Kellyco... But still, I nearly had a coronary when I asked about them... :o

Cost comparison...

You can get the Garrett 2500 from Kellyco for $879.95
The XLT price wasn't listed. But I called a couple of weeks ago and it seems like it was $759.95 or close to it... ??? If someone knows maybe they can chime in?

Now my opinion on them overall... If I were to buy one of the two right now... I'd get the XLT.... It's cheaper, lighter and more comfortable to swing all day than the Garrett. But if you relic or cache hunt then I'd go with the 2500, for the simple fact that you can use the Treasurehound attachment...

Hope this helps in your decision... LOL

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland

A couple of interesting and good reviews....?

I can't speak with that much specific, tecnical, knowlege, nor can I say about the Garrett, as I have never used or even seen one but, A couple things I would add are,?

I think I paid a little more than $700 for my XLT but that was about 5 years ago.? Would seem logical that it would be a little more expensive now.? $759 or even $800 might be common.? If price is an issue, that might be a plus if the Garrett is, in fact, between $850 and $900???

I think mine included Tax.? ?I know I paid about $1000, even,? with a Pelican Hard Case.??

As for the learning curve, I don't consider it quite that bad for the XLT.? I guess, I don't consider the learning of all the advanced capabilities in the curve.? ?To me, learning curve has been learning enough to understand the basic operation of the machine and be up and running.? ?I too have never had to use any of the advanced programming capabilities.? ?I have been pretty comfortable with the presets.? ?I think they are Coin, Coin and Jewelry, Jewelry Beach, Relic and Prospecting.? ?They seem to discriminate less as you go down the list.?

As I understand from reading the online manual, to paraphrase,

Coin - Discriminates out all targets but those that might be coins.?
Coin and Jewelry - Identifies and detects or displays additional items that might be jewelry
Jewelry Beach - Similar to Coin and Jewelry but makes adjustments that might effect searching in salt water or on sand beaches.
Relc - detects and identifies some larger(???) items that are IRON and might be valuable Relics.? ?
Prospecting - Here is where I get a little confused.? I think it says that this setting has the least discrimination, will beep over almost anything, but the VDI will only show items that are GOLD.? Other items will show on the "Signagraph" but they won't be shown with any ICONS.

I don't live in an area of much relevance to Gold Prospecting so I never use that.? Our beaches are Fresh Water but I do use the setting occasionally, especially when I take the detector down to my parent's place in SW FLA.? Most of the time, I have beeen using Coin and Jewelry and have switched to Relic, at times, to see what other items I might find.?

Back to learning curve,? I was able to get up and running with the detector in minutes.? ?Just reading the first few pages and knowing the differences between the preset programs.... and some of the other functions like Backlight, Battery Indicator, how to rebalance the coil (Ground Balance), Pinpointing... etc.? ?Most of those functions are printed on the bottom of the detector so if you get lost, so to speak, read the bottom and you will often find some help.? If you want to see what a VDI number is or the number being presented on the Signagraph, the scale of most common items is printed on the top of the machine.? ?Makes it easy to find info when you are in the field.? ?

In the end, I like my XLT.? I have been finding quite a bit, although, I wish I were able to find more old coins or jewelry.? Mostly I have been finding some interesting Relics and modern Clad

to date, about

20 Bottle Caps
3 soda cans
about 40 Pull Tabs
$9 in modern coin
1 Buffalo Nickel
3 Wheat Pennies
2 Diecast Cars
Small amount of foil and foil packages from Food, Pills....
5 or 6 pieces of rusty scrap metal, mostly IRON or Steel One small sheet of Copper.?
Concrete Core with Rebar inside
Boat Drain Plug,
1 14K Gold Ring w/several channel set diamonds
Zipper Pulls
Childs Jewelry (Charms for a bracelet or necklace)
1 IKEA Spoon
And about 2 or 3 pounds of other assorted wire, nails or other IRON scrap...? ?

050711-GilsonTotLot-640.jpg

050525-Elder-640.jpg

050523-LowerGilson-640.jpg

050521-UpperGilson-640.jpg

050517-LowerGilson-640.jpg

Didn't come out very good in image qualitybut here is a picture of all the good (Keeper) stuff from above and some that I didn't have previous pictures of online.?

MDFinds.jpg

All in all, I have only been detecting since last April and have gotten out, maybe, 7 or 8 times.? ?I am pretty happy with what I have found, overall.? ?It amazes me the stuff that is lost out there.? Every time I go out with my detector, I know I am going to find something of some value.? Usually coins.? ?Looking back at all my pictures, I have found several coins, every time I had been out.?
?

R

rusty nails

those r some KICK BUTT reviews - thanks - LBP

OP
OP
quicksilver

quicksilver

Apr 5, 2005
Wisconsin

Thank you guys for your help and input. I will probably get the White's XLT based on your experiences and the experiences of others. I have noticed paging through every issue of Western/Eastern Treasures most people are pictured using White's detectors. I think that is a good sign. Keep finding treasure! The jackpots await.

Matt

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I own a Whites IDX Pro and am pleased with its operation. But , I have not seen any other detector advertised on the TV? They (Whites) have been around a long time and advertise well, Is Whites better, you would get many opinions. I would want to try any detector I buy. As seen in the replies you got here each detector is a little different and the best detector for you might not be the best for all. Choose well and hunt often.

Ed

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have the Garrett 2500 and have reached the point that I feel confident in how to use it in most situations. I am really pleased with it and bought it after first buying the ACE 250. I have done a pretty extensive running report on how it has worked for me under this topic. JIM

tehya

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2005

Hi Quick Silver

I have owned both machines and many more, so I thought I would put my 2 bits in on detectors. The 2500 is a good machine, one of the best pinpointers on the market. The XLT is also a great machine and it can be set up to run hot and fast, you can cover alot of ground in a short time. You can't go wrong with either machine, you will just need to spend some time in the test garden with targets both on the ground and buried in the ground at various depths to get the most return for your investment. The best option is to try different machines if possible so you can find one that you feel comfortabe with

In high trash areas I like using a modified IDX Pro with an SAT switch for fast or slow sweep speeds great little coin shooter. I also like using the Fisher CoinStrike in high trash areas, but it requires a medium sweep speed and most peoplt will wrap it around a tree in frustration before they learn how to use it.

Tom

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom,

Could you give me some more information or a link for that modification for the IDX Pro.

Ed Donovan

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

owned my gti2500 for about 5 years now never a problem works fantastic you can,t go wrong
with this one

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What frequencies does the 2500 operate. I know the xlt is 65.9 witch is a deep freq and it like higher conductive metals better and is not found of small targets.that what I learned since I've got into metaldeting.Here's my detectors freq,MXT 14.9, 5900 Dipro 65.9 surfmast 12.5 grandmaster hunter 6.5,but I'm not sure what my gta 400 is.that's why you can't beat maltie frequencies detectors, they got all the bases cover one frequencies for dept one frequencies low conductors one frequencies for high conductors.If i'm roung let me no. liftloop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread