Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Surely you can see I'm starving!

Aug 2010

Re: A Newb Tequnique: Dragging a Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfried Schlagrule
    250 pound pull is not the same as 250# lift. The lift would have to be slow and gradual. A quick tug and it would come loose. Head north and you can
    find coins at the swimming beaches in canada. pure nickel is magnetic. You can also get great magnets in scrap microwave ovens. Magnetic lamp bases have the added benefit of a threaded bolt so you can easily add a handle. regards, siegfried schlagrule
    Let me put this simply: What would be the right harbor freight magnet for a decrepit old lady to drop off of, or toss out from, a low bridge into a real river? I really want to do this.
    http://www.playlist.com/playlist/20610449419/standalone

Crank It!

us
    Jan 2009
    Houston, Texas
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Have broken loose from bottom about 1/5 of pull weight in the past. 250# pull would be OK, but use some kind of cable or very heavy duty rope as 10 ft leader from magnet and then use as a minimum 1/4 inch nylon line/rope for the remainder of the length. Use leather gloves and LOOK at the line as you are pulling it in. Little things like fish hooks and glass shards can get embedded in the rope. Always carry a short stick or piece of plastic pipe to make a quick pulling handle, by winding line around it; NEVER wrap line around your hand.

Used to use "flying gaff - treble hook rig (four inch size)" and "catch net" to raise fish 20 ft. to fishing pier in Florida like that.

us

Aug 2010

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36905

Well, they were on sale a week ago. And then in this thread there is the tupperware idea which I thought was very clever.

So for me, and for The Kid (who at 15 doesn't want anything to do with me but I don't mind making him feel guilty for it) might the 150 lb'ers be better? Or one of each? (If the sale is still on.) Even the 100 lb'er for a younger one who will adore me for being so cool?

TIA! Mo' later or tomorrow or the next day. I'm mad busy but avoiding the job at hand.

And please somebody answer my ? about gloves in general.

Crank It!

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    52 times

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyBelle
    250 pound pull is not the same as 250# lift. The lift would have to be slow and gradual. A quick tug and it would come loose. Head north and you can
    find coins at the swimming beaches in canada. pure nickel is magnetic. You can also get great magnets in scrap microwave ovens. Magnetic lamp bases have the added benefit of a threaded bolt so you can easily add a handle. regards, siegfried schlagrule
    Let me put this simply: What would be the right harbor freight magnet for a decrepit old lady to drop off of, or toss out from, a low bridge into a real river? I really want to do this.
    They have several sizes in the stores. I don't think they show them all on the web site. There's a couple that are small enough to throw like a softball. You can check em out & see what feels comfortable to you.

A couple of hints:
    If you have three or four magnets on a bar, and working off a bridge or dock you can get out further by tying the end of the rope to the dock. Walk the rig down the bank or beach & chuck it in from there.

Use a slow steady hand over hand pull 1-2' at a time. Use your fingers to feel what's going on. If you feel it grab, but it doesn't feel like it's got a good grip walk up & down the dock while wiggling the rope. Sometimes it'll bring the other magnets in contact.

Like in fishing from a pier. If you don't think the object will stick enough to haul it up, walk it into shore. Same for large objects. You may be able to hold it underwater, but as soon as it breaks surface it'll drop.

1/2" rope will work fine for three of these magnets on a piece of 1/2" angle with a 3' long piece of chain for a harness.
    tackle
    Also, if you really get into dragging, check out some of the Bait & Tackle shops. They sell ready made grapnels. Big treble hooks with lead cast on them. Three on a bar like described for magnets works great on piers for dragging up tackle. Hint if the hooks have the barbs on, file em off! If you get hung up you can usually work the hooks out so you don't loose your outfit.

If you have access to a public pier you will be dumbfounded how much & what you'll pull up.

Last but not least. Be considerate if working a pier or fishing dock. Stay away from the fishermen. You risk dragging up their lines & might end up getting impromptu swimming lessons.

Hope this gives you some ideas!! Happy hunting!!
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

us

Aug 2010

Rushing--will get back to your post and I thank you for it.

Concerning those "swimming lessons?" Excellent advice.

See, I fish. And I'm 1/4 Italian with a surname that proves it. I give 'swim with the fishes lessons'! 8)

TTYL.

Crank It!

us
    Jun 2006
    WHITES, MINELAB
    52 times

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyBelle
    Rushing--will get back to your post and I thank you for it.

Concerning those "swimming lessons?" Excellent advice.

See, I fish. And I'm 1/4 Italian with a surname that proves it. I give 'swim with the fishes lessons'! 8)

TTYL.
    German & Italian here. Smoke DiNobilis. Oh yeah, got the temper of both.

us
    Aug 2009
    45 times

want the best rope for this?? go to army/navy store and parachute cord, it's tough and will stretch a little.
    you get 100 ft. for $10.00. if you think you need something stronger, simply double it. have fun.

us
    Mar 2009
    Springfield Mo.
    Whites m6
    40 times

O.K. you all have got me wanting to hit the lake now. Maybe extract my new rod and reel I lost recently!

us
    Jun 2006
    WHITES, MINELAB
    52 times

Quote Originally Posted by Toby1858
    O.K. you all have got me wanting to hit the lake now. Maybe extract my new rod and reel I lost recently!
    Not even going to ask I'll just wait to see it on you tube Seriously, hope you find it in a nice 20 pound tangle of rods reels and some nice plugs sprinkled across for good measure! Best of luck! Let us know how you fare!

us
    Mar 2009
    Springfield Mo.
    Whites m6
    40 times

Really I just wanna go crappie fishing!

us
    Apr 2007
    Gulf Coast, Texas
    Ace 300, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
    2 times

I pulled a 55 gallon drum out of Dickison Bayou with mine, at the time i only had one nylon rope on it, now i have 3.Talk about heavy.......Got it at harbor freight..
    ENGLISH, SPEAK IT, USE IT.......
    Better Living Thru Chemistry
    Live Long, and Prosper

us
    DFCA

Dec 2006
    Kansas
    Minelab E-trac
    19 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I think I'm going to try it myself

us
    Jun 2006
    WHITES, MINELAB
    52 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Elf
    You should! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We were constantly amazed using grapnels and magnets. I still wonder how some of the stuff we found got where it was in the water

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1672 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Here are a few other T-net threads on the subject:

First week magnet fishing *New Finds 11/15*
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,200561.0.html

What size retrieving magnet should I purchase?
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,200271.0.html

Fishing With A Magnet
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,18206.0.html

Retrieving Magnets
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...tml#msg1561004

~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

us
    Apr 2007
    Gulf Coast, Texas
    Ace 300, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Elf
    You should! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We were constantly amazed using grapnels and magnets. I still wonder how some of the stuff we found got where it was in the water

A great place to use it is around boat ramps, people always drop tools, and such there...Have pulled out some neat stuff over the years...I want to put 3 of the large mags side by side, and use that this next summer..That will be my winter project.....What is a grapnel??
    ENGLISH, SPEAK IT, USE IT.......
    Better Living Thru Chemistry
    Live Long, and Prosper

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors