Teknectics Omega (version 5) Leave No Stone Unturned

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got an early start this morning to beat the heat. I found a piece of rental property to detect and decided to give the Omega a try with the Sharpshooter coil. I set up in 4 tones, 35 on the discrimination and full sensitivity.

A bunch of drunks must have rented there, because there were old rusty pry caps everywhere.

The first silver that I found was a next to a shrub bed. It sounded really good and was giving a good VDI number. When I went to dig I hit something hard about 1/2 inch down. I soon discovered that what I was hitting was one of the flat stones that lined the shrub bed.

I knew the coin had to have some age to it because the stone border had sunk beneath the ground. I found the edge of the stone and it came up came up without much effort. I dug down a few inches beneath the stone and popped a 1954 Rosie. It's about the same age as the house.

The next coin that I found was 1944 Mercury Dime and was a little easier to dig. It was right out in the middle of yard and nothing around it. I also found 5 Wheat Pennies and some clad coins. It was beginning to get hot, so round 10:00 o'clock I decided to call it day.

tabman

Omega%20Stone%20Silver%20003_zpsxpxtneq4.jpg
Omega%20Stone%20Silver%20004_zpsqx9fnxk6.jpg

Omega%20Stone%20Silver%20007_zpsybojajq6.jpg
Omega%20Stone%20Silver%20009_zpsfo6kazbw.jpg

Omega%20Stone%20Silver%20012_zpsof64vlx9.jpg

Omega%20Stone%20Silver%20010_zpsmkzmnvbu.jpg

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of finds, especially that sweet silver.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of finds, especially that sweet silver.

Thanks. I'm a big time dirt fisherman. I really enjoy digging things out of the ground to see what they are. I sure wished that I still had my 8 inch concentric coil for this particular site, since it handles pry caps better. DD coils are nice for covering ground fast but they don't work as well as the concentric coils do. Also the stock Omega 10 inch elliptical coil is not as good as the 8 inch concentric coil that comes stock on the Gamma.

tabman

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you found plenty of targets. Any hunt you pull silver is a good hunt. :thumbsup: I am surprised you didn't grab your F75 SE and run it in bc mode. :dontknow:

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your cap/coin ratio is WAY better than mine! I'll post pictures of all of my excavations next round.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you found plenty of targets. Any hunt you pull silver is a good hunt. :thumbsup: I am surprised you didn't grab your F75 SE and run it in bc mode. :dontknow:

Thanks. I use my F75SE-2 out in large open areas that are not too trashy when I need a little extra depth. Strangely the Omega works better in trashy areas, except for the pry cap issue. I pretty much know most of time that its a pry cap before I dig. I just can't help myself. I just want to make sure.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your cap/coin ratio is WAY better than mine! I'll post pictures of all of my excavations next round.

Do that, because a trash pile tells a story. The best coil for the Omega is the 8 inch concentric coil when you're at locations loaded with pry caps.

tabman

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. I'm a big time dirt fisherman. I really enjoy digging things out of the ground to see what they are. I sure wished that I still had my 8 inch concentric coil for this particular site, since it handles pry caps better. DD coils are nice for covering ground fast but they don't work as well as the concentric coils do. Also the stock Omega 10 inch elliptical coil is not as good as the 8 inch concentric coil that comes stock on the Gamma.

tabman
That's interesting, tabman. I have the stock elliptical, and elliptical DD and prefer the stock concentric most of the time. I just switch around from time to time for a while. What does the round 8" concentric coil cost? I might consider it for trashy areas and I don't like 6" coils cause they don't cover enough ground for
regular use.

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do that, because a trash pile tells a story. The best coil for the Omega is the 8 inch concentric coil when you're at locations loaded with pry caps.

tabman

My initial experiments are pretty strange. I need a bigger sampling to make any judgements, but I will say I am not getting rid of either of my coils. My 8" stock coil feeds me digable signals much better on pulltabs than the sharpshooter. I left two questionable signals (one from each coil) and the nel left a pull tab, the stock concentric left me a quarter rubbing a tiny roofing nail. I would have dug both signals to be fair, but I knew after hearing the tab sputter on the nel what was in the ground. Like I said though, I would dig it anyway. The quarter on the nel sounded sharp and strong. I will upload pictures the next time I get to a representative place to test this out better.

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting, tabman. I have the stock elliptical, and elliptical DD and prefer the stock concentric most of the time. I just switch around from time to time for a while. What does the round 8" concentric coil cost? I might consider it for trashy areas and I don't like 6" coils cause they don't cover enough ground for
regular use.

The 8" concentric run right at $100. You could buy a used alpha and have one for that price...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread