Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jul 2006
    Western NC Mtns
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Problems with me or my new used Sand Shark

Help! I received a used Sand Shark via USPS today & I'm having problems.
    I have set the knobs by the manual and as soon as I move the knob from OFF to VCO (or any setting) the machine gives off 9 or 10 loud beeps. Then threshold volume is too low to hear unless turned to max. I cannot get a signal off anything metal. I have tried 2 new sets of batteries & this makes no difference. It was insured, so I'm not out any $. I've taken off the coil cover & checked the coil connection. What am I missing Folks?
    Thanks!
    -Jay
    Jay has been proven to be 20% more FUN than current physics can explain!

us
    Oct 2009
    Florida
    Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Problems with me or my new used Sand Shark

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what your saying, but if you turn the machine off and set pulse width, volume, and threshold to 12 o' Clock then turn on the machine to VCO do you still get the battery test beeps? When you turn the threshold knob all the way to the left it should "click" and give you a battery test (9-10- beeps is very good) The machine will not respond to targets in batt test mode. I donít know if thatís whatís going on but if you use the settings above and still cant get a signal, or if the battery test still goes off when you power on the machine you have a problem with the unit. Hope that helps H.H.

Jul 2006
    Western NC Mtns
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by firstbiggestmost
    I'm not sure if I understand exactly what your saying, but if you turn the machine off and set pulse width, volume, and threshold to 12 o' Clock then turn on the machine to VCO do you still get the battery test beeps? When you turn the threshold knob all the way to the left it should "click" and give you a battery test (9-10- beeps is very good) The machine will not respond to targets in batt test mode. I donít know if thatís whatís going on but if you use the settings above and still cant get a signal, or if the battery test still goes off when you power on the machine you have a problem with the unit. Hope that helps H.H.
    Thanks for replying!
    It appears that the batt test/f-adjust knob is broken. It looks fine but pulls out of the housing for about a 1/2 inch, and spins freely with no "click" spot.
    The unit seems to be stuck in battery test mode!

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1169 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET

When you buy them used they always say .....like new ....works great...... a 9 out of 10..... then you get it and the dam thing don't work. I am almost a scared to buy a used detector any more...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

us
    Oct 2009
    Florida
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by waterfalljay
    Thanks for replying!
    It appears that the batt test/f-adjust knob is broken. It looks fine but pulls out of the housing for about a 1/2 inch, and spins freely with no "click" spot.
    The unit seems to be stuck in battery test mode!
    That stinks! Hope you get it worked out, the sand shark is a real nice machine.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8789 times

Did you buy it off a web board, craigslist, ebay, ?. I have bought 8 used detectors, 1 ebay, other 7 off of the web boards and all worked perfectly on arrival.....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

Jul 2006
    Western NC Mtns
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter
    Did you buy it off a web board, craigslist, ebay, ?. I have bought 8 used detectors, 1 ebay, other 7 off of the web boards and all worked perfectly on arrival.....
    I bought it on ebay. I do not believe the seller knowingly sold me a bad machine.
    Either he powered it up & thought all was well or the USPS damaged it in transit. I get a lot of packages,
    and a high percentage are damaged by shippers (some have actually had tire tracks on them!).
    It's insured and I'll get my $ back - I was just trying to identify the problem.
    Being stuck in batt check mode at least explains all the symptoms & eliminates the "operator error" explanation!

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8789 times

Depending on how it was packaged the damage could have happen durring shipping so it is very possible........

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    76 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Keppy
    When you buy them used they always say .....like new ....works great...... a 9 out of 10..... then you get it and the dam thing don't work. I am almost a scared to buy a used detector any more...
    I agree Kep.
    I am seeing this more and more lately. I just feel really bad for the people with limited funds that buy a used detector that is malfunctioned or soon to be... With no warranty folks, it's best to buy new. And not every one can, that's why I offered a payment plan with no interest or fees.If you have to send the unit in to the manufacturer to get fixed it may cost you more in the long run.. And even after it comes back , your still stuck with no warranty for future malfunctions.
    We never know what the machine went through previously.
    I have seen machines with ants and spiders occupying the inside of control boxes that have been stored in closets. Ants and spiders pee too!
    Electronics and moisture is a bad mix.
    I always say, "be careful buying ANY THING used in the electronics field.
    I get PM's daily from folks asking, do you sell used machines?
    I opt not to for this very reason.

I hope this helps folks in the future

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    76 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I agree Kep.
    I am seeing this more and more lately. I just feel really bad for the people with limited funds that buy a used detector that is malfunctioned or soon to be... With no warranty folks, it's best to buy new. If you have to send it in to the manufacturer to get fixed it may cost you more in the long run.. And even after it comes back , your still stuck with no warranty for future malfunctions.
    I have seen machines with ants and spiders occupying the inside of control boxes that have been stored in closets. Ants and spiders pee too!
    This is why we offered people the payment plan option.

Jul 2006
    Western NC Mtns
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by 4-H
    I agree Kep.
    I am seeing this more and more lately. I just feel really bad for the people with limited funds that buy a used detector that is malfunctioned or soon to be... With no warranty folks, it's best to buy new. If you have to send it in to the manufacturer to get fixed it may cost you more in the long run.. And even after it comes back , your still stuck with no warranty for future malfunctions.
    This is why we offered people the payment plan option.

I get this, and I would have much rather bought a new Tiger Shark from you had it been possible, my friend.
    Unfortunately we're all still waiting for Tesoro to find strong waterproof connectors...

us
    Oct 2009
    Florida
    1 times

I get this, and I would have much rather bought a new Tiger Shark from you had it been possible, my friend.
    Unfortunately we're all still waiting for Tesoro to find strong waterproof connectors...
    On that note, as I understand it Tesoro has everything available except the connector that attaches directly to the coil (not the control box). So if you can find a coil with a reusable (good condition) connector, you should be able to get a brand new Sand Shark. In your case there is no problem at all with getting a new control box or the parts to fix your broken switch.

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    76 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by firstbiggestmost
    On that note, as I understand it Tesoro has everything available except the connector that attaches directly to the coil (not the control box). So if you can find a coil with a reusable (good condition) connector, you should be able to get a brand new Sand Shark. In your case there is no problem at all with getting a new control box or the parts to fix your broken switch.
    Good advise!

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1169 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET

Tesoro could fix yours by the sound of what is wrong with it............. 4 H that is what scares me when i look at used detectors i might get it for $400.00 then have to put another $200.00 or $300.00 in it plus shipping...... I should have got a new one in the first place.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

Jul 2006
    Western NC Mtns
    Honorable Mentions (1)

My Sand Shark has left on a trip to Tesoro Service Dept in Prescott AZ!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors