Silver uMax vs. Golden uMax

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Smudge said:
Is there really much of a depth advantage to the Golden over the Silver?

Would like to hear from people who have used both.

From what I've read in the past, the Silver has a bit more depth than the Golden, but not that much to make a difference. Will follow this with interest as one of these two will be my next purchase.

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
Never had a Silver but have a Golden uMax and a Cortes. The tones on the Golden make it a real pleasure to use and can detect a dime buried 6". I use the adjustable notch when searcing for ladies gold rings. The tones tell me a lot when I'm in an area where the targets are close together. The Golden is a keeper.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there both excellent machines i've had both and the silver will have the edge on depth, the silver i had would pull a quarter about 9" and that s mild soil of course, now bigger coils on the golden did'nt have very good luck with but the silver i tried the 12 x 10" coil on and i was amazed what it do was awesome to use pasture hunting

RdkngUSA

Greenie
May 27, 2010
thump7 said:
I am just finishing my first year with the silver µmax and have never used the golden µmax. I would have to disagree with alot of the claims I have read about the silver on the net. The realistic depth of this machine is between 5"-7". It is in good conditions like sand, wet, mild ground and the like where this machine has some exeptional depth. I have dug a dime at 10" in wet sand (and no it did not fall from the side of the hole into the bottom), cans and large iron at 2 - 21/2 feet in mild ground, pennies at 8" in damp ground and all of these had weak signals at max sensitivity with the stock coil. The µmax is one mean, mean machine and I don't think I will ever regret buying it. It works fairly good relic hunting with the 10x12 coil, exellent in sand and has great target seperation for trashy areas with the stock coil. However I can clearly see that In the future I will need a tone I.D. machine. It is just way too much work and too time consuming to dig every good sounding target in a trashy area. Also the silver runs at 10 khz and the golden at 12khz. My silver µmax will not pick up the fine gold items with the lower freq. If the silver is a little deeper than the golden I don't think that it is a big issue compared to having tone I.D. especially if you are going to be hunting areas with a lot of trash. best of luck.Golden uMax is a 10khz machine according to the Tesoro website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread