have tesoro detectors really evolved? seems like quite old ones still work well

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
so im at the park today and what do i see is another detectorist.

hunting with an orig 1983 model silver sabre.

other than being big heavy and taking more batteries it seem to work just as

good as my umax models. tesoro is a great machine.

but what have they really done thats different aside from putting

their tech in a lighter smaller pkg.

1983 was a long time ago. it seem that only minelab etrac is deeper

which is why i own one. or perhaps the whites v3 now.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
scrounger,

That silver sabre is also still coverered under the warranty. Maybe that's why it's being used today? Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Tesoro's could also have colored screens that lie to us, they could be heavier or cost lots more. Maybe the others are praying on somesstupidity. I think it was Scotty on the TV program Star Trek that said it best, "The more plumbing it has the easier it is to plug up the works." I think it applies to detectors too. :coffee2:

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Your thoughts about Tesoro are right on and if you do some more snooping you will find that there are plenty of old hands that for years now have been wise to the fact that more than a few of the older Tesoros (even those metal box ones) are known to be especially good in the iron/trashy places, and will not only hunt with the best of many of the high $ big dogs but will also"smoke butt" on many of them!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, the original Golden Sabre with the metal box and support rail across the face had a surface notch which allowed you to notch out everything on the surface of the soil and detect stuff beginning at a selected depth under the surface.

Tesoro lead the industry with it's SMALL control boxes and the large surface mounted solid state electronics. For years folks wondered why the manufacturers used such large containers for the small circuit boards; then Frank Gifford decided to get rid of the unused space and the extra weight when he designed the first uMax machines. That caught the attention of EVERYBODY. The folks looking for small units to backpack into the back country for prospecting were also very pleased. At first, people thought the small size meant something was left out, but after the proper advertisements showed the excess weight and useless space in the big boxes, the uMax caught on and the other manufacturers started to follow suit.

And the Tesoro life time warrantee is truly the icing of the cupcakes. :thumbsup:

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
i have the vaquero...it's light (for a 60 year old man) and accurate. ground balance was extremely easy but still takes me 5 - 7 seconds. after that it's just a "go" machine. since i mostly hunt parks and tot lots it goes deeper than i want it to but one day i'll be in a 'relic' location and be glad i got it. i might upgrade to something that'll give me coffee and donuts at the touch of a button and something that'll change into a weapon like those TRANSFORMERS...but for now i got more than i can dig with what i got.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions