Sand Shark

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
808 bottle diggers said:
HI, im a new "sand Shark" owner :headbang:
Do I use VCO or Norm. in the wet sand and shallow salt water?

Thanks

That is a question YOU need to answer! I use Normal mode, but many use the Voltage Controlled Ocillator mode. Just depends which is better for your ears to understand. I like Normal, because I can hear the "Negative breaks," also called "Drop Outs," or places where the threshold sound goes silent momentarily. This can be a clue to VERY deep targets. Where did you purchase your Shark, and did the dealer offer training? Hope I can help you! :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right about your ears being your guide. It doesn't matter to the detector which mode you use as it is still reporting something is under the coil. VCO makes the signal go up in pitch as you get closer to the target is all. Try both modes on a coin on top of the sand.

msimpson

Jul 17, 2011
Ramona, California
Detector(s) used
DFX, GMT
Terry Soloman said:
808 bottle diggers said:

Thanks

That is a question YOU need to answer! I use Normal mode, but many use the Voltage Controlled Ocillator mode. Just depends which is better for your ears to understand. I like Normal, because I can hear the "Negative breaks," also called "Drop Outs," or places where the threshold sound goes silent momentarily. This can be a clue to VERY deep targets. Where did you purchase your Shark, and did the dealer offer training? Hope I can help you! :thumbsup:

Very interesting insight. From my reading, my plan was to go for VCO as the idea of a variable pitch appeals to me. But now I'm going to have to really give Normal mode a fair shot. I know you find deep stuff. Some have said, "Unbelievably deep stuff" :-) But I think you do find stuff that deep because of the drop outs. The other reviews that i've read, it seems that others prefer VCO mode.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, a lot of hunters do like VCO, and I use it sometimes to pinpoint water targets I'm getting pushed off of. The Sand Shark coil starts to pick up a target at the outside coil edges, and pinpointing takes practice. You can hear drop outs in VCO, I just hear the whispers better in Normal. :headbang:

msimpson said:
Terry Soloman said:
808 bottle diggers said:

Thanks

Very interesting insight. From my reading, my plan was to go for VCO as the idea of a variable pitch appeals to me. But now I'm going to have to really give Normal mode a fair shot. I know you find deep stuff. Some have said, "Unbelievably deep stuff" :-) But I think you do find stuff that deep because of the drop outs. The other reviews that i've read, it seems that others prefer VCO mode.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are the drop outs in Threshold repeatable i.e drops with each swing or do you dig a bit after the hint and listen for a stronger signal in that area? I hunted today and was concious of listening for it - but either I have not the ear yet (most likely) or it just did not happen. :dontknow:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smoogle said:
Are the drop outs in Threshold repeatable i.e drops with each swing or do you dig a bit after the hint and listen for a stronger signal in that area? I hunted today and was concious of listening for it - but either I have not the ear yet (most likely) or it just did not happen. :dontknow:

Yes, it is repeatable, like a "cold" rock. The threshold breaks quiet or smooth. If you move two-inches of sand off and re-swing it should become a positive signal..

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I get cold rocks after being in the surf too long ;D
Thx Terry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions