My first detector will be a Tesoro, but help me decide which one...

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm looking to get my first non-toy detector. Right now I have around $200 to spend. So that puts me right at the Compadre level, but I have two questions for those with more experience.

1. Should I get the Compadre with the 5.75" coil or the 8" coil? A well recommended dealer on here appears to have both in stock, although I know the 8" is the older version.

2. Should I save up an extra $50 and get the Silver uMax? I'll be hunting mostly older homesites in North Carolina. We're famous for our red clay so I wasn't sure if the more advanced model might be more versatile in handling different soil types. I do like the possibility of changing coils as well in the future which I understand is an option on the Silver uMax, but not on the Compadre. Just not sure that's worth the extra $90+ to me.

I guess my biggest fear is liking it, but immediately feeling like I need to upgrade.

That's all I've got now. I'd decided on a Garrett 250 initially, but after reading the reviews and testimonials on here I'm definitely getting a Tesoro, just not sure which one yet. Thanks!

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck myself I consider anything under a grand a toy. Do what I did and save and wait for the best ..if your going to do it do it right..
What you find will tell the story

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck myself I consider anything under a grand a toy. Do what I did and save and wait for the best ..if your going to do it do it right..
What you find will tell the story

Haha, well true, but I'm thinking any Tesoro will be quite a step up from this bad boy which I bought when I needed to find some lost parts in my back yard - 9 Function Metal Detector

Anyway, if I wait until I have that much, I might not be able to bend over to dig anything ;)

Just for a chance at tool envy, what would you recommend if I had that much to spend?

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
I consider anything under a grand a toy.

Not a helpful response, I'm afraid. Lots of us who would love to participate in this hobby don't have and may never have that much money to spend on a MD. God bless you if you can afford it, but I suspect there are many folks out there who'd love to get a straight answer on what performs the best for the least money.

rws51

May 12, 2009
Most of us know the feeling of not being able to drop a grand or more on a detector, and truthfully there is no reason to when you can get
great performance from a detector costing less than half that amount. The Compadre is a great detector to start with no big investment.
The 5.75" model will do better in the trash and the new 8" Compadre will give you more coverage and a little more depth. I suggest buying the
Compadre 8" model and letting it pay for an upgrade with its finds. A couple of gold rings will pay for your Compadre and give you a good chunk
towards an upgrade. The Compadre is an amazing little detector and you will be very happy with it. HH...

Roger

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,
I think you are making a wise decision in going with a Tesoro. I don't think you can go wrong with their warranty and easy to use machines. I was in the same boat as you about a month ago when I knew I was going with Tesoro, but couldn't decide between the Compadre or the Silver uMax. You can see that thread here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/344898-compadre-vs-silver-umax.html

In that thread, I posted a link to a map of the U.S. showing soil mineralization. I would suggest checking your location to get an idea if what your area is like. If it appears to be a highly mineralized area, you will probably be better with the uMax due to the sensitivity knob. I'm sure the other more experienced users around here can chime in and give you a better idea of how/when the sensitivity is adventageous.

I ended up going with the 8" Compadre for its price and my area is low on the soil mineralization map. I think it's a great machine for the price, but I don't think you could go wrong with either machine. I believe the Compadre initially came out with a 7" coil around 2000 or 2001, then switched to the 5.75". Just within the past month and a half have they been available with the 8" coil.

Hope this helps a bit and best of luck to you in your decision. Keep us posted.

Brian

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the Compadre with the 8" coil to get a little better depth. It will still separate trash good enough. You will easily pay for the Compadre with your finds if you put any time and research into your hunting. The guy that said don't buy anything less than a 1000 dollar detector is insecure and needs that expensive security blanket to make him think he is somewhat adequate. Really..... Is that the kind of advice you need to give a beginner on a budget looking to get started? If that is all you have to say then zip it and go back to Whites forum where you belong.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh by the way, make sure to call one of our forum sponsors like Miller DMZ to get a great price on the Compadre. It will be well worth the effort of the phone call to get one from one of our sponsors. You can use any of the sponsors, I have just had excellent dealings with Tom at Miller MDZ.

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the link to that topic Tribe. If I'm reading that map right, the Charlotte NC area is high in iron. Does that change anyone's opinion on the Compadre 8"? If not, I think that'll be the one assuming it would be ok in my area. Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Also I'll definitely be calling a sponsor or two to order once I decide.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save up a while longer and get the Vaquero! My next choice would be Cibola then Silver Umax. Of the 3 only the Vaquero has manual ground balance.

coon8448

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1 for a Vaquero if you can afford it, but as for the Compadre I would go with the 8in coil

rws51

May 12, 2009
I was going to suggest the Vaquero earlier, but it was out of the price range you wanted to spend.
The Vaquero is a do it all detector that you won't grow out of but it will cost you about 450.00 new.
You can find some nice used machines on the classifieds for around 300.00 which is closer to your price range.
Since you are getting your first real detector maybe the Compadre is the best option and staying under budget.
I would bet if you hunted steady all summer with the Compadre you would have enough finds to pay for a new Vaquero.
Whatever you decide on, you will be very happy with a Tesoro detector. Good luck and HH.....

Roger

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
So is the consensus that the Compadre probably isn't my best bet for the iron soil of Charlotte?

Would it at least be serviceable since that price point is pretty attractive.

I wish I had enough for a used Vaquero. Do the lifetime warranties transfer to new owners?

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So there u go great advice from everyone.
Everyone has different opinions and that makes sense we are all different.
That comment on my opinion was just an old ego talking which I forgive.
Good luck brother in whatever road you choose.

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do the warranties transfer to the new owner of a used machine?

The answer directly from Tesoro is "No, only the original purchaser is covered under the warranty." But, reading from other posts on this forum and forums is that Tesoro will take care of you and more than likely will repair it free of charge, especially if it is something minor. If it is a more extensive repair, they may charge you to fix it, but even then I think it would be at a reasonable price. Like I said, this is just from some of the other posts I have read where people have bought used machines, and most of them were in regards to machines that are no longer in production. With the Vaquero still in production, you know they still have parts available to make any fix you may need. I think they say the original owner in case it is a machine they no longer have in production and no longer have parts for and you can't blame them there.

I would hit up some of the dealers and see what their thoughts are on the Compadre with your type of soil. I bought my Compadre from Tom Miller and he seems like a really good guy to deal with, so I would start with him. I think he will give you a straight forward answer if he can and not try to get you to buy a more expensive machine if you don't have to.

Last edited:

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Silvernd , I'm in charlotte also . I bought my Cibloa from Tom . You will get a much better deal over the phone . Also new to the hobby , message me maybe we can hunt together sometime .

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing wrong with the Compadre - I have on of the original 7" coil modedls. great bang for the buck. However if you can swing the difference for the Silver umax, you'll be able to change coils. The Compadre is hardwired.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions