Took the Lst for a swim today!!

ErickP

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive only owned my supertraque 6 months maybe and ended up falling in the water detecting the salt river by my house here in az. I took the batteries out and ive got it drying out, it only went under for literally a second but i suppose thats prob enough to do damage. Bought it used so im kind of figuring its gonna be a loss with no warranty but hoping it will dry out...any advice besides dont fall in the water with your detector lol, just started into this hobby hoping its not gonna be on standby for another year to save for another detector.

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Ive only owned my supertraque 6 months maybe and ended up falling in the water detecting the salt river by my house here in az. I took the batteries out and ive got it drying out, it only went under for literally a second but i suppose thats prob enough to do damage. Bought it used so im kind of figuring its gonna be a loss with no warranty but hoping it will dry out...any advice besides dont fall in the water with your detector lol, just started into this hobby hoping its not gonna be on standby for another year to save for another detector.

Ouch!
Open it up and give it a " BIT " of sun.
You may not want the boards exposed to direct sunlite.
Also, could pack components in white rice to absorb the water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Tesoro and see if they can help. They are very good about even helping owners of used Tesoro's.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard of a couple umax models being dropped, then gently dried with no apparent problems.
luvsdux

OP
OP
ErickP

ErickP

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for the advice im hoping it dries out with no problems but i think i am going to give tesoro a call tomorrow to see if they can help me out, i sure hope its not a total loss and i can pay to have it fixed

OP
OP
ErickP

ErickP

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its Alive!!! Dried it out with the blowdryer and let it sit overnight, put the batteries back in after Work today and its working great!! Thanks for the advice fellas

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You might be lucky.
Saltwater can be a killer if it has got in under the ICs and into the pots and will start corrosion in all sorts of nooks and crannies.
I flushed one of my tectors with distilled water after it went into salt water. (batteries Removed) and then gave it a good dry blow and a bit of sunlight but didn't let it get hot to the touch.
See what tesoro recomend.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be lucky.
Saltwater can be a killer if it has got in under the ICs and into the pots and will start corrosion in all sorts of nooks and crannies.
I flushed one of my tectors with distilled water after it went into salt water. (batteries Removed) and then gave it a good dry blow and a bit of sunlight but didn't let it get hot to the touch.
See what tesoro recomend.

I second that. If you get salt water in a detector, take the batteries out and immediately flush it out with distilled water and dry it. Really helps if the distilled water doesn't have a lot of CO2 dissolved in it. Pure water is not a conductor of electricity. Leaving salt in something will corrode it very quickly, maybe even before you can get it sent in for repairs.

OP
OP
ErickP

ErickP

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im hoping i lucked out, the salt river is actually a fresh water river that a lot of people tube here in Arizona.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread