luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As no one has jumped into this I'll make a comment. First of all, even though I have a bunch of Tesoros, I haven't worked with either the Cibola or the Tejon. That said, the T is supposedly the hands down winner for depth in the current Tesoro line. Enough to be worth replacing the C? I don't know. However, I can tell you that a properly ground balanced detector should always get a bit more depth in any soil compared to a preset detector and if you should detect in an area that is more mineralized, the manual ground balance is a real plus.
luvsdux

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned both detectors and liked the Tejon the best. The toggle switch for pinpoint and target check ( pull to pinpoint- push to activate 2nd disc) was a great advantage over thumbing the disc knob every time you hit a target. The Tejon is super sensitive to tiny targets.

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't miss that point that Fletch88 said "The Tejon is super sensitive to tiny targets".

Depending where you hunt, and what your goals are, this could be a good thing or a bad thing.

I've dug BB's 12" down with mine. In a school yard. That's not good. But for relic hunting in Civil War sights that would be awesome. In my opinion, it is much more of a relic machine than a coin shooter.

Dan

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
recommending the 5.75" coil. I wouldn't hunt with anything else on it. But it will be a great upgrade from the cibola the ability to change audio tones is nice too and duel disc.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I see I got the thread rolling. Dan B makes the point about sensitivity which prompts me to throw out a thought that has been with me for years - just how much sensitivity do we want? Certainly all we can handle if prospecting for small gold, but in a trashy park or fairground maybe not quite so much.
luvsdux

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just bought one. I have been injured so i havent been out with it much. I bought a smaller coil and I have found it a little easier to use with the smaller coil. I am hard core believer in the Tesoro Company. I have owned six of their detectors. Stay in touch and we will learn these machines. One Note , people around Chattanooga swear by The Tejon. Relic hunters with 40 years hunting told me to buy the Tejon. I will give updates here. You do too.

I am referring to Civil War Relic Hunting

One more thought , my hunting partner has found so many civil war relics with Tesoro machines , he had to build a small building to display his stuff. Its true !

Last edited:

Mrubadue

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a georgia button 14" deep in the low country with mine. Tenon and the oversized double d coil did great on this. Had my brother sweep for what I thought was deep brass sound with his fisher 1266, he heard nothing and tried many sweeps to no avail. Great relic hunter here..use the double d in and around hot soil closer to kennesaw mtn and works good other places as well. Really hot mineralized areas can still be some bit of a challenge though

OP
OP
D

Droptine

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
North Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the input. I think I will go ahead and bite the bullet. Hope to order one in the next couple of weeks.

rws51

May 12, 2009
I owned a Cibola and a Vaquero, and got a Tejon this summer. In my mild ground the Tejon is about 3 inches deeper than the Vaquero or Cibola.
The Tejon is very sensitive to tiny targets and even with the sensitivity turned all the way down will air test a coin 6 plus inches..... about as much depth as some detectors get with the sens turned up.
If hunting in trash with the Tejon, just back the sensitivity off, use the 5.75" coil, and have fun. Good headphones are a must with the Tejon to hear those smoothe deep signals that can be deep coins.
The twin discrimination and variable tone are nice features also. I love my Tejon and think you will too! :icon_thumright: HH....

Roger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread